Discworld Guards helmet – free pep file

Blaxmyth

Sr Member
I’m a great fan of the Discworld novels, particularly the Guards series. Recently I adapted a morion helmet pep file into something like I imagine Vimes and his colleagues wore.
Guards1.jpgGuards2.jpgGuards3.jpgGuards4.jpg
It’s a very simple file to build and shouldn’t need resizing at all. It’s designed to come down fairly low over the ears and there is still room for a liner or foam padding.
Guards5.jpg
Files here: Ankh-Morpork City Watch Helmet 3 - Download - 4shared

The file is on A4, but there is plenty of space around each piece and it should transfer easily to Letter format.

I stiffened the outside of the pep with two coats of resin. I have tried with one coat, but the second coat really tightens the pep and stops it from distorting when the rondo starts to set.

After the resin has cured I waxed the inside of the pep with Carnuba wax. I used to use the cheap car polish paste, but have found that the more expensive Carnuba mould release is well worth the extra expense. Just rub it in well with a soft cloth.

I used a full paper cup of rondo in each helmet, rotating it to get an even coverage, using a brush to spread it around up onto the rim. It was somewhat tedious, but stopped the rondo from pooling in the lowest part. I used two thicknesses of fibreglass cloth, fairly light weight and well wetted in with resin.

The bonus of using the wax was that the pep came away almost in one piece. It was almost good enough to tape together and use a second time. The helmets just need to be sanded and built up with some bondo, then painted, weathered and fake rivets added.
Guards6.jpgGuards7.jpgGuards8.jpgGuards10.jpg
Hope to have some pics of the completed helmets up soon. Cheers, Phil

I like the sharp lines and it looks like an easy build. I'll have to have a go. Are you going to do the rest of the uniform. It looks interesting. :)

Just doing the hat at this stage. Might have a go at the breastplate but that's a few projects away. Got a lot of other stuff to finish first.

I'm keen to see if there are any other Discworld builders out there that might have a go at this helmet.

Thanks for your kind words. I get a lot of pleasure with making pep files and sharing them, and it's nice to get positive feedback. Cheers, Phil

Thanks for sharing this! My husband is a massive fan of the City Watch, and Sam Vimes in general, and I think making one of these for him would be an awesome gift. And, most likely, a great starting point for a full costume, hehe.

That's great to hear! Once I get out from under the mountain of other projects, I've thought of pepping a breastplate - but it won't be for a while.

By the way - if anyone wants the file in Letter format, sing out and I'll convert it and post it online.

Thanks for sharing this! My husband is a massive fan of the City Watch, and Sam Vimes in general, and I think making one of these for him would be an awesome gift. And, most likely, a great starting point for a full costume, hehe.

This is perfect timing, I just started playing the old videogames again. I wish they'd put them all out in the US and my dad's a fan of the books big time. Thanks for posting it.

Could I get a copy in Letter size?

I never in a million years would have thought of doing a cosplay from Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld...sigh another costume on the drawing board.

Thanks for doing up this file. Will likely be one of my first projects of spring!

I'm here to finally post some images of our watch outfits that we (my local discworld fanclub) premiered at the Perth Comic Con last weekend. So thank you Phil for sharing the pep file, that was what we used for the helmets.

1975136_10152307659627419_1196425032_n.jpg

Bigger image here :imgur: the simple image sharer

Last edited:
Just finished a really weathered version - the sort of helmet that Nobby Nobbs would wear. Brown "Irish Coffee" acrylic base coat, with Raw Umber dry brushed on, then a wash of light blue/green sponged on, then the rivets were polished with copper Rub N Buff. Two of the pics are against a sheet of really scruffy copper that I used as a model for the weathering.

Nobbs 1.jpgNobbs 2.jpgNobbs 3.jpgNobbs 4.jpg

Next project will be a mint version, polished brass effect, suitable for Captain Carrot to wear.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back