DirtyMoose's Game of Thrones "Other" costume, 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

DirtyMoose

Hi everyone!

I am new to the RPF and this will be my first post. I've been costuming for the last couple years and getting fairly serious with some of my work. I would like to share with you my progress and steps surrounding the build of my "Other" costume or "White Walker" as referenced in the BBC show Game of Thrones.

I started with a head bust of myself to eventually create a latex mask for the character.

Sculpting proceeded with help from very few shots of the character found online. The hardest part was getting the dimensions to even out on both sides of the mask..this is my first time doing a large sculpt of this kind so i took it slow and made sure to follow steps provided by a Stan Winston tutorial found on there websight www.stanwinstonschool.com

I found edging out the detail with small strips of Monster makers clay was the best way to replicate the extremely wrinkled texture of the "Others" skin, the more i did this the easier and predictable it became and i was able to create some fairly good texture with it.

After smoothing by hand and with various sculpting tools i brushed the sculpt with alcohol 98% to smooth out the rough texturing and bring everything together. next i went over with fine detail texture using a wire brush and some crinkled up aluminum foil to create pours, skin imperfections and fine wrinkles.

After the detail layer i sealed the sculpt with Krylon clear spray.

Next was mold making... to do this i used gyp-son cement with a Plasticine mold wall, i wont go into the details because im sure there is a thread that explains this type of two part mold process.

Once the mold was completed i cast my mask using Monster Makers Latex which is specifically used for this application....It created a great thickness and is super strong and stretchy! http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=121175&stc=1&d=1350942318

After de-molding i trimmed the mask and started to paint with various acrylic based paints that i had left over from other builds. these worked great and gave me a good textured effect when couples with a sponge, i could have airbrushed but i felt like this gave the mask a nice rugged texture.

Next i will start on the hands and sculpt the upper body mold, lots to do before Halloween hits but i plan on working all week to get it done!

More to come soon.

Happy Halloween!

Last edited:
Re: DirtyMoose's Game of Thrones "Other" costume, 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Ent

Update on my White Walker costume!

I continued sculpting with the hands over casts of my own hands..These turned out great and were easy to mold. All the molds i use are the same two piece construction with ultracal.

After casting the hands in latex i moved onto the torso sculpt which went really fast because i just used a thin layer of clay to hash out the details in the skin, this eventually was molded and i was able to cast a nice thin utensil that i could put on like a shirt.

I then moved on to creating the wardrobe which consisted of a leather kilt shin guards and armor gauntlets all of which were up cycled from old thrift store buys. The leather kilt was created using an old leather jacket cut down into strips and glued/sewn together.

The armor was created using fake vinyl leather from an old suite case which i then textured using metallic paints.

\

Re: DirtyMoose's Game of Thrones "Other" costume, 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Ent

Its been a long week but i got it done!

Once i had everything sculpted and molded i moved onto finishing up each of the pieces with paint and hair.

To paint i used black white and blue tones to create the cold look to the white walkers skin..this was combined with some fake snow spray to add some extra texture.

Next update i will have some much better photos taken of the costume and ice spear that i have not yet taken any photos of yet but it looks pretty awesome! see you again soon.

Thanks

Dirty Moose

I'm impressed you got all of that finished!!!

Looks amazing. Can't wait until you get your final shot for the gallery with the full kit!

The Final Shots!! The first Photo is the one i plan on putting up in the gallery please let me know if its ok, i color corrected and added the background obviously but did not edit any of the costume.

Thanks for the Help! you can expect allot more projects coming from me!

Dirty Moose

:thumbsup Excellent work, well done :cool.

WOW... just wow. i would pay a lot of money to commission one for my size. (if only i live in toronto, LoL). Great work you made!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back