The Definitive Jenny (The Doctor's Daughter) Costume Thread

TheNickFox

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My girlfriend is just starting on this costume, so I've been neck deep in research as well. I've been surprised at how little information actually exists about it. It's such a simple costume, but with so little reference out there I figured we could share information we find to help out future costumers.

To start off with, let's have a reference photo...for research and swooning purposes.

attachment.php

Now that, that is out of the way let's break it down.

Hair

attachment.php

Obviously she has a pony tail and bangs/fringe, but more interestingly, is that she doesn't have a visible hair tie. In the picture above, it seems her own hair has been wrapped around the hair tie and pinned in place. (Which my girlfriend assures me is actually something that some women do)

Shirt

attachment.php

As confirmed by the costume designer, the screen used shirt was from Marks and Spencer. It seems to be a seasonal item (at least in that color) and is now out of stock 5 years later. The closest substitute then would be an Olive Drab women's babydoll tee. (Possibly ribbed depending on the depth of the ribs)

Here's and example of such a shirt with a Marines logo on it:

Womens Olive Drab Marines Babydoll Tshirt | Contoured Women's Military T-shirt

Belt

attachment.php

The belt is a LC-2 tactical webbed belt. (I went through more images of belts than I care to recall to find that) with a black plastic closure.

The color shifts a bit depending on the lighting and color correction, but I'd say it's most likely Tan or a very worn Olive Drab. As these are usually bought through military surplus dealers, it wouldn't be unlikely to find one of these worn down enough to lighten the color up.

Here's an example of the belt in Olive Drab: Individual Equipment Belt (Pistol Belt) LC2 - $3.99 : BearStar Surplus & Supply, Military Goods and Surplus at a Sensible Price

Pants

attachment.php

The original pants were from 7 for All Mankind, though the exact style from the show is now discontinued, they have an updated pair that looks damn near the same:

The Skinny In High Shine Leather-Like Black | 7 For All Mankind

A cheaper alternative would simply be some sort of wet-look/shiny black skinny jeans or jeggings.

Boots

attachment.php

This is where things get harder. The costume designer can't remember the brand of shoe or where she got them, so here's what we do know:

They are black women's calf-length combat-inspired boots with a single buckle on the side near the top. There are 16 eyelets on each side of the boot for laces. (32 eyelets per boot)

For now, it's best just to find something "close enough," but if anyone has any ideas of what these things might actually be, feel free to share the wealth.

THE Pouch

attachment.php

I'm not sure I've seen anyone pick up on this before, but Jenny has this pouch on the back of her belt throughout the entire episode. I didn't notice it until rewatching the episode last night with my girlfriend and we both just looked at each other when we noticed it during one of the few times she's running away from camera.

This is the best shot I managed to find showing what this pouch looks like. I have found similar pouches but nothing that is both tan (Or possibly olive drab), in that shape and size, and has a black buckle on it.

So, who here knows about vintage pouches? What could this thing be? Shovel pouch? Medic pouch? Utility pouch? I have found things VERY close to this pouch, but the real thing escapes me.

So if you can help fill in any of the blanks on this costume or provide some better alternatives to the stuff I've proposed, feel free to share.

Let's make it as easy as possible for Jennies everywhere to suit up!

-Nick

Last edited:
Thanks for posting all this info. Great costume to have on the back burner for one of those "I gotta have something NOW" moments......

I found a pair of really close boots......if only I could have found their shiny twins :(
But they have the side buckle, the sixteen eyelets, low heel--can't really tell what the heel on the SU one looks like from the ref pic.

http://www.discountwomensdressshoes.com/servlet/the-59828/Black-Zipper-Buckle-Lace/Detail

mhAV4qBjmQdJXLiPLPoLbmw.jpg

Larger pic http://www.westblvd.com/dwds/images/Cici-Black-Womens-Designer.jpg

Last edited:

Holy crap those are close! This is exactly why I wanted to post this publicly, so we could start pooling resources.

Admittedly, I don't know much about women's clothing and shoes so I'm sure most of my searches were crazily inefficient while I tried to figure out just where a calf-length boot ends and a knee high begins.

The pouch looks rather plain, if not military, then it might be something likeEDIT: Oooo......maybe a granade pouch!!
......about the right size!?
multi_purpose_md.jpg

I was actually looking at some grenade pouches yesterday. They along with SAW pouches are the two closest styles of pouch I could find.

Worst comes to worst though, it wouldn't be a terribly complicated sewing job to make a pouch that looks like that, but I'd still like to know what the original was to hopefully save the effort.

Let's try to pin these things down!

-Nick

Okay, so after some talking and going back and forth on color, my girlfriend went ahead and bought an LC-2 belt.

We ended up deciding that even though the screen used belt may have originally been tan or olive drab, the color that best matches how the belt looks on screen (After the editors got done with all of their color correction) is a color called Coyote Brown.

Here's a link to an eBay sale (not auction) where they can be bought: Military Style Nylon Quick Release Tactical Pistol Web Belt USMC Army LC 2 | eBay

If they sell out, just search the interwebs for "Coyote Brown LC-2 Belt" in either medium (30-38" waist) or large (38" and above) and you can find more vendors very easily.

It definitely looks the part.

As for the pouch, I have now looked at probably 10,000+ pouches and the closest one I've found is extremely collectible, and thus very expensive and rare. I'm going to just make the pouch instead of hoping to find this needle in a pouch stack.

If anyone has any finds on the pouch, shoes, or a better match for any of the pieces...OR if you have any shots of the costume from somewhere other than publicity stills (Behind the scenes, exhibits, etc) please feel free to share. I really want this to be the best possible repository for all things Jenny.

-Nick

Hey, I found a pouch that is very similar to hers MOLLE Modular Saw Ammo Mag Dump Pouch Olive Drab OD Green | eBay I am going as her to Comic con this October, so I have been finding the whole outfit off Ebay. This page has helped so much! And Ebay helped a lot, too. You just have to know what to search, and be patient. Lol. Thanks again, and I hope this helps anyone who needs to find more of her outfit :)

Great find! I just hope other people can use some of the research I started and keep building on it to get as close as possible to what we see on screen.

I no longer have a reason to keep researching, so I can't wait to see where people like you can take this! Best of luck! I can't wait to see the results.

-Nick

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back