Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Subscribe
    May 27, 2013, 11:47 PM - The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #1

After buying a Silhouette Cameo to cut my Pepakura pieces, I was both excited and bewildered.
    There seemed to be no “Definitive” resource on how to use this machine and the software to cut my card stock for me.

I watched several YouTube videos, read several threads on a few sites, but still seemed to be lacking some of the basic information on the process from start to end. What was worst of all for me appeared to be the random incomplete threads I found in relation to some of my own questions or problems.

I vowed that once I understood it all, I would create a definitive guide on how to use the Silhouette Cameo to cut Pepakura parts. I hope that this helps others where a gaping hole was left in my life. Since I am new to building and Pepakura, I figured it is the one way I can contribute back to this incredibly helpful community.

I have completed writing a VERY extensive guide to be shared on how to use the machine, common issues, detailed steps, etc.

I am creating this thread in hopes that others are in need of this resource, Please let me know if you are interested in this so I know I am not wasting my time, and help motivate me to complete it. LOL

UPDATED: The guide is completed and can be downloaded HERE http://temp.grenexmedia.com/DefPepCameoGuide1.3.zip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	4622 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	190073

UPDATED: The guide is completed and can be downloaded HERE
    http://temp.grenexmedia.com/DefPepCameoGuide1.3.zip
    Last edited by Grenex; May 2, 2014 at 9:38 PM.
    From
    Indiana, USA
    May 28, 2013, 6:09 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #2

I'm subscribing, I definitely have been having a lot of problems with my new cameo. Can't wait to read it.

-The Armorer
    May 28, 2013, 6:29 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #3

Thank you for undertaking this difficult task. I would like to buy one of these machines, but balked when I saw how user unfriendly it was with pep files
    May 28, 2013, 8:09 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #4

I am with Dan and the Armorer. Great Idea Grenex.
    From
    Indiana, USA
    May 29, 2013, 6:19 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #5

Any updates? Suspense = killing me

-The Armorer
    May 29, 2013, 7:09 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #6

Sorry guys...worked late last night, and have to take some more pics tonight to finish it. Hopefully by tomorrow...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    May 29, 2013, 7:13 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #7

what ? There is a device that can help cutting pepakura ? NICE ! hope to see some update.
    May 29, 2013, 7:14 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #8

does anyone want to see an incomplete copy and start proofing it for me?

From
    Indiana, USA
    May 29, 2013, 7:29 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #9

I'm printing out a piece right now, I wouldn't mind *chuckles sinisterly*

-The Armorer
    From
    Austin, TX
    May 29, 2013, 7:29 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #10

Grenex said: View Post
    does anyone want to see an incomplete copy and start proofing it for me?

I can do that
    May 29, 2013, 7:51 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #11

Pm me your email and I will send it over

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  12. RPF Premium Member ahoudini's Avatar
    From
    Roanoke, VA
    May 29, 2013, 10:22 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #12

This is really valuable. I have never done pepakura and don't own a Silhouette machine but this kind of thing has the potential to help people for years going forward. Sooner or later I will need this info and it will be here.

Thank you!
    May 30, 2013, 10:07 AM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #13

I have completed the guide and posted a link in my original note at the top of this thread. Enjoy!!!
  14. typewriter is offline typewriter
    Jun 1, 2013, 11:22 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #14

Thank you Grenex for making this great thread
  15. Member Since
    May 2013
    Jun 6, 2013, 3:25 AM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #15

Thanks for the great guide Grenex, im gonna be using what ive learnt very soon.

Before I read this I cut using a different method; I went into pep designer, exported the pages as multi-file DXF's and then using the Silhouette Studio (free software) I imported the files individually, changed the line cuts to correspond with what I needed and then cut this only works with simpler pep files as I didn't have the edge id's printed but I simply looked at pep viewer as I went.
    Jun 6, 2013, 9:37 AM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #16

Fantastic, works really well, Thankyou Grenex
  17. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Oct 2, 2013, 3:27 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #17

I just bought a Cameo, and the controller will not connect to the Cameo. After speaking to Silhouette, I have to use their software, Studio, to set the marks up. Still attempting to find the right registration marks, but hopefully I'll find it soon.

Update: So, after finding another thread and updating drivers properly, I got the controller to work and now it works just fine. Ignore the above!
    Last edited by Aaran Jolly; Oct 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM.
  18. RPF Premium Member
    From
    CA
    Oct 2, 2013, 6:54 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #18

So do you guys use the cameo to cut the foam or cut the cardstock to transfer to the foam?
    Oct 3, 2013, 10:41 AM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #19

parkplace06 said: View Post
    So do you guys use the cameo to cut the foam or cut the cardstock to transfer to the foam?
    It is used to cut out the card stock. Foam is too thick to fit in the machine

- - - Updated - - -

Aaran Jolly said: View Post
    I just bought a Cameo, and the controller will not connect to the Cameo. After speaking to Silhouette, I have to use their software, Studio, to set the marks up. Still attempting to find the right registration marks, but hopefully I'll find it soon.

Update: So, after finding another thread and updating drivers properly, I got the controller to work and now it works just fine. Ignore the above!
    Aaran: The document posted at the start of this thread covers EVERYTHING including the driver issue. Take a few mins to review it and it will save you TONS of time and headaches.
  20. Member Since
    Sep 2013
    Oct 3, 2013, 11:06 AM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #20

Yep. Once I found the driver update suggestion in another thread, It worked out quite well. Its not exact, about a MM off but it is very liveable. I am so glad I bought this thing.
  21. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Oct 27, 2013, 3:00 AM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #21

Grenex said: View Post
    UPDATED: The guide is completed and can be downloaded HERE http://www.grenexmedia.com/temp2/Def...eoGuide1.2.zip
    Thank you very much!
    My Cameo just arrived this week and I see that this document will save me from a big headache caused by the driver issue
    From
    California
    Oct 31, 2013, 1:20 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #22

Can someone please help?! I've read all of the .PDF and I still cant get my windows 7 to recognize my cameo. I get to step 5.5. When I select which page I want, and it takes me to the "Print Setup" Dialog box, the cameo isn't there for me to select. I installed the drivers and and silhouette studio, but my computer still doesn't recognize the Cameo. Any help?
  23. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    From
    Kentucky
    Nov 28, 2013, 12:45 PM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #23

So excited to find this, I've been wanting to get a cameo but was put off with seeing the difficulties on lining the cuts up. Since I work at Michaels I believe I will be picking one up this afternoon, being it's black Friday sales.
  24. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    From
    Kentucky
    Dec 9, 2013, 9:48 AM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #24

Okay, so I got my cameo and I have gotten it to cut but I have an issue I can't figure out. When I print the sheets it the registration marks are messed up. Only 2 print correctly and the third is only a line and not the 90 degree angle it should be. To get the machine to recognize the marks I had to manually draw the last part of the line in. Has anyone else seen this or know why it doesn't print the full mark, it shows up in the print preview?
  25. Member Since
    Jun 2010
    From
    south africa
    Dec 9, 2013, 9:57 AM - Re: The Definitive Guide to Cutting Pepakura with a Silhouette Cameo #25

check you print settings it should be on letter and not A4