Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Feb 1, 2013, 4:04 PM - Darth Malgus Costume Finished Pics-Page 8 Vid-Page 9 #1

So now that my Cyborg Maul is well underway I was feeling a little flat not having a big build to tuck into.
    I have been toying with the idea of doing Darth Malgus from The Old Republic ( I know, I know...ANOTHER Sith Lord!!) for a while but was always a bit put off by the scale of the build. This will be a pretty much 'from scratch' build as there is no one producing parts(yet) for this character.

I'm planning on having it ready for CEII if I don't get too many distractions, fingers crossed!!

Got hold of these sclera lenses from 9mm effects, they're not cheap but worth every penny!!
    I have some of their other sclera lenses and they are beautifully made and super comfy.
    Last edited by Darth Serberus; May 22, 2013 at 8:15 AM.
    From
    Chandler, AZ
    Feb 1, 2013, 4:09 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #2

Those lenses are beautiful, I still need the Maul ones to complete my Maul cause my cheapos are about dead
    Feb 1, 2013, 4:23 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #3

OK want to follow this! Looks like you have a long road ahead of you...Hes a pretty big dude...are you large enough to fill his shoes?
  4. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    From
    Sydney Australia
    Feb 2, 2013, 1:17 AM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #4

Golden sith eyes - will be checking back here
  5. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Feb 3, 2013, 10:22 AM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #5

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    OK want to follow this! Looks like you have a long road ahead of you...Hes a pretty big dude...are you large enough to fill his shoes?
    Think I just might be ok! Lol

I'm 6'6" and 255lbs, here's a pic of me in my Bane.
    From
    Central, Ca
    Feb 3, 2013, 10:43 AM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #6

That'll work
    From
    Russia
    Feb 3, 2013, 3:02 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #7

You will be a perfect Malgus, I think. I have thought about that cotume too, but I can't say "bye" to my long curve hairs)))
    I'd like to subscribe, actually.
  8. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Feb 4, 2013, 6:08 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #8

Haha there might be a good way around having to not cut all your hair off.
    I'm actually still undecided about whether to make a silicone/foam mask or just go baldy again and do a paint job. I'm leaning towards the silicone/foam job, firstly to save the shave but mainly coz I enjoy playing with masks.
    The Emerald Garrisons resident Emperor and good friend of mine was kind enough to donate this gorgeous figure to the cause which has inspired and helped me no end.

As most will know getting good reference together is one of the hardest parts of a build. So having this statue to work from has helped big time!!
    It also helped me fork out €500 worth of varying thicknesses of EVA foam and Plastidip. Nice thing is I can use it for my Cyborg Maul build too!
    Feb 6, 2013, 7:16 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #9

jango5204 said: View Post
    That'll work
    INDEED...I think so indeed. I actually play SWTOR a good bit, and have a character who is a look alike of malgus. There a a TON of holocalls with him you can see all sorts of videos of his cutscenes from False Emperor flashpoint where you fight him Im sure.
  10. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Feb 10, 2013, 6:56 AM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #10

Next the boots, I found some perfect square toed motorcycle boots that even have the side zipper and are ankle length, just like Malgus'. These should make a great base to add the armoured parts too.

These have got to be the cheapest costume part I have ever bought!! Just 99 cents plus the shipping, and they are perfect!!

A bit of paint and some additional armour parts to hide the carbon fibre and logo and they should be good to go. I will probably extend the cuff a little so it sits under the vambrace armour better.
    The saber can now be ticked off the list.
    Though I must say I was a little concerned when I saw the creased bend in the box!!!!

But, thank the maker it was all ok inside.

I'm so impressed with 'Ultrasabers'. I can highly recommend them. Their service was excellent and was shipped in no time. You can check out their website here-
    Ultrasabers
    The saber itself is very well made and looks the business. It's a beast of a saber with the blade shaped glaves. These also make it the most balanced saber to swing about that I have ever owned.

I thought this was going to be one of those builds where everything would need to be scratch built. But the more I'm researching the more I'm finding some really good alternatives.
    I couldn't make this saber for the same money I paid for this one. The only tweak I've added is to do a bit of airbrushed weathering and upgrade the blade to a duelling one.
    (Sorry about the bad pic!)

For the mask I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these CFX silicone masks and adapting it!

The ears would need trimming, veins and brow would need adding plus a serious paint job. The breather mask would hide the rest of the neck and mouth, so it could just work?
    Feb 10, 2013, 5:53 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #11

I can vouch for Darth Serberes's work as one of the best out there. Follow this build to be amazed. I can promise you!!
  12. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Feb 10, 2013, 6:43 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #12

I think it would be more convincing if you shaved your hair the rest of the way and applied makeup, personally.....provided thats you in the pic above with the sclera lenses in.
  13. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Feb 11, 2013, 4:41 AM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #13

spydrwebz said: View Post
    I think it would be more convincing if you shaved your hair the rest of the way and applied makeup, personally.....provided thats you in the pic above with the sclera lenses in.
    Yes that's me in the lenses.
    I must say it was very tempting to go down that route, but the mask will save a ton of suiting up time. I'd really like to bring this one to CEII so it needs to be able to travel too.
    Feb 11, 2013, 11:26 AM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #14

I think the mask may be a bit overkill, he isnt that decrepid looking. I think the statue over exaggerates that bit. Look at more pics of him, and videos from Bioware. Hes not sideous. But off to a good start Id say that saber is awesome looking...wouldnt mind having one myself...hmmm.
  15. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Feb 11, 2013, 5:11 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #15

I don't know, from these pics I'm working from the mask should be pretty dead on.
    Especially as you don't see the neck or mouth. It's mainly the gnarly wrinkling around the eyes. Plus getting the old mans ear lobes trimmed will help too.

[IMG]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee161/plaigeous/Darth%20Malgus/827aff31a9b
    965244935987b80647f3d.jpg[/IMG]
    Yeah the saber is a beauty!!
  16. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    From
    Virginia Beach, VA.
    Feb 11, 2013, 9:53 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #16

One thing with CFX, you can have your mask custom made and painted, they can make your mask pretty exact, if you're willing to do it.
  17. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Feb 12, 2013, 4:21 AM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #17

KyleisBueno said: View Post
    One thing with CFX, you can have your mask custom made and painted, they can make your mask pretty exact, if you're willing to do it.
    CFX service is incredible. You can basically get customisation on pretty much any mask.
    I will be making use if this service for sure!!
  18. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    From
    Virginia Beach, VA.
    Feb 18, 2013, 10:30 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #18

Darth Serberus said: View Post
    CFX service is incredible. You can basically get customisation on pretty much any mask.
    I will be making use if this service for sure!!
    I agree, LOVE cfx. Been needing to get an old guy mask for years now. Anywho, I'm following this thread with high interest
    From
    LA, CA
    Feb 19, 2013, 12:13 AM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #19

love your bane, this is gonna be awesome
    From
    Minnesota, USA
    Feb 19, 2013, 2:05 AM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #20

Progress so far looks good. I really like that mask, and if you get the veins right and fix the ears it would be perfect.
  21. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Feb 20, 2013, 4:03 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #21

A few bits came in so made a bit of progress...Firstly the gloves, I dug out my black leather dye and sorted the grey palms out. Then airbrushed the knuckles to a metallic/ black patina. Gives it a nice 'used future' look and stops everything looking too pristine. Then on to the first actual bit of fabrication. I'm just warming up so I'll start small. With the glove on I cut some card to about the right size and shape to make a template for the hand armour.

With some trimming courtesy of my trusty Dremel and a bit of needle file work I shaped the hand plate armour. When I was happy with the detailing I heated the foamex and set a curve into it so that it sits on the hand comfortably. Finally a few coats of primer filler and a light coat of metallic. The metallic paint is for no other reason than I needed to seal it with a gloss coat anyway and want to use this piece to test some paint finishes on for the rest of the armour.

I then moulded the hand plates up in silicone and then cast them in resin, painted them and Tech7-ed them to the back of the gloves. They just need a few grub screws added and then a heap of weathering. But I'm gonna save that till the end and do all the weathering in one hit to keep some consistency.
    Feb 20, 2013, 7:04 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #22

Yeh, I just see malgus, as less tired looking compared to the masks face there....like the looseness under the eyes is what bothers me. Hes pretty much the most powerful sith alive at that time....war hardened and that mask is like palpatine in ROTJ. Haggered and run down. Does that make sense? I agree that some of the skin is loose on his face but not to that degree. Anyways...Loving all the work so far...that saber is spot on. SOOOO awesome. Cant wait to see more.
  23. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Feb 22, 2013, 5:06 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #23

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Yeh, I just see malgus, as less tired looking compared to the masks face there....like the looseness under the eyes is what bothers me. Hes pretty much the most powerful sith alive at that time....war hardened and that mask is like palpatine in ROTJ. Haggered and run down. Does that make sense? I agree that some of the skin is loose on his face but not to that degree. Anyways...Loving all the work so far...that saber is spot on. SOOOO awesome. Cant wait to see more.
    Yeah I know where you're coming from. Hopefully when all the extras are added and paint job done he should look a little less tired and a bit more angry.
    The saber is a total beast though you're right about that bro!!!
  24. RPF Premium Member Darth Serberus's Avatar
    From
    ireland
    Feb 22, 2013, 5:28 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #24

After getting warmed up i was ready to tackle something a tad larger!
    So I chose the largest piece the chest/shoulder armour.
    I went through my store room and pulled out an old body tape body cast I made for my Sith Stalker costume. Amazing how handy this beaten up torso has been.
    Once securely screwed to the bench I began slapping on the clay.

Then began roughing out the layout by scoring into the clay.

As soon as the general shape and layout was on I started building up the detail. Again this will be moulded in silicone and then cast in fibreglass. I'm gonna use fibreglass instead of resin as it going to need to take the weight of the hood, cape, shoulder armour, voice amps, lights, and batteries. Hence everything can be securely bonded to this one main piece.

Once cast all the little details can be refined and sharpened up before painting.
    From
    Cabo Frio/RJ Brasil
    Feb 22, 2013, 5:45 PM - Re: Darth Malgus Costume WIP #25

Wow, really awesome!!!