Darkside501st's Fallout NCR Veteran Ranger and Pip-Boy 3000 Build

darkside501st

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello again,

I am going to do two things in this thread as you can see from the title. I will be tracking my Pip-Boy 3000 build and showing progress on my NCR Veteran Ranger. I would love to get feedback from everyone and also I hope that you guys/gals will find some good information to help you along or inspire you.

So to start off, I got a Pip-Boy cast from my good friend Skruffy. He is putting out some killer casts if you want to grab one for yourself. Also, I am making a PB handplate that I will be letting him cast. So he will soon be offering my handplate to those interested. His Pip-Boy cast comes in two pieces, top and bottom. He has assembly instructions in his build thread as well and shows you how to do some basic electronics work to add light and sound to your Pip-Boy.

For my build I will be starting out with a simple setup similar to Skruffy's where I will have a stationary, backlit screen with some music and radio broadcasts from our favorite radio host, Three Dog. Although, and this is where it gets interesting, I will be putting together a fully functional, wearable Pip-Boy 3000 operating system (PB3K OS).

Here is a video of the various PB3K functions.

I am working on this with a friend of mine who knows his fair share about programing. We are currently looking into what we are going to include in this OS. At the most basic level, the Pip-Boy will be able to cycle through the various screens using the controls as they appear to function in the game. If we can, we will incorporate some real world applications for the OS as well.

Here are some pics of my Pip-Boy cast as I have been working on it. Lots of sanding to get the extra resin off the cast. Make sure you wear protection.

I am going to be giving my Pip-Boy the appearance of an old CRT TV screen. So I ordered a few glass lenses to try and get as close to the size of the opening as I could. This is the one I settled on:

Now as you can see it is a little too big and I can't gut the Pip-Boy enough for it to fit so I had to grind the glass. Do NOT attempt this at home (yeah... or anywhere else, smarty pants). Without the proper tools and protective gear this can be dangerous. So after a little glass grinding and some more Pip-Boy sanding this is what I have:

I think that is a pretty good start. It is not done though. I could not sand anymore of the cast to fit the lens so I will be building up the bezel to fill in the gaps. When I am done it will look like the Pip-Boy was made for that screen.

I already mentioned the handplate, well here is my progress so far:

So that is where I am at right now. I will be doing some more work on it this week so I will be posting updates as I make progress on it. I will also be keeping you all up to date as we develop the PB3K OS but you will have to be patient as that is something that will take time and, unlike making a physical prop or costume, programing doesn't give me much to show as far as progress goes.

=========================================================

Now on to the NCR Veteran Ranger costume. There I was wondering what kind of Fallout costume I was going to make to go with my new PB when I came across Kommissar's Ranger build. He did a great job and his work was very inspiring. If you haven't seen his thread yet then you should go check it out.

I really like the look of the Ranger and love the gas mask so I gathered my reference materials and started planning my costume. Mostly I have been buying the stuff I need for this costume. Now it is about time to start making things. :cool

So Kommissar used a NCR pep by Hugh for the gas mask. I did a little work on that pep file and here is the result:
Fallout NCR Veteran Ranger by Hugh modified by Darkside501st

Kommissar also had a good idea to use an M1 helmet liner for this umm.. helmet. I thought that was a pretty good idea and it looks great too. However, I couldn't find one that I thought was worth the price. I did come across this M1 costume helmet. It is about the same size as the helmet liner and it is made from plastic so that means I can heat and shape it as I see fit.

Here are a couple shots with a tester mask to make sure the scale is right. :rolleyes

I also picked up a couple different antennas from the IT dept at work. I included it in the file but I really don't want to build it.

I got a few things I need for the belts:

I am going to kill two birds with one stone on the holster. I am also making a Captain Mal Reynolds costume and am working on a trade right now for the holster. Since I am shorter than Nathan Fillion I am altering the design slightly so that it looks better on me.

So I am just going to use that holster for the Ranger's gun:

As you can see from that last image I will be darkening up the gun with a bluing liquid. This should leave it with a dark black, bluish color. Also, this is a replica of a .45 single action army revolver with a 7.5 inch barrel. It doesn't take .45 caliber bullets, although .38 caliber will fit with a little work.

So feel free to leave feedback, suggestions, links, and pictures. I am here to talk about this stuff not just show off my builds. :love

Last edited:
Re: Darkside501st's Fallout NCR Ranger and Pip-Boy 3000 Build

So bad the only pictures I can see are the CGI models on your skydrive, the new-vegas wallpaper and the link to youtube for the pipboy. You explained on the MK7 thread they're all on your skydrive: security access maybe? No public/anonymous rights given to see the files (so it's normal YOU can see them as administrator/owner).

But I keep an eye on the thread. You made me wanna install and play it again. Never considered it as a good Fallout, but still a really good game.

Last edited:

So bad the only pictures I can see are the CGI models on your skydrive, the new-vegas wallpaper and the link to youtube for the pipboy. You explained on the MK7 thread they're all on your skydrive: security access maybe? No public/anonymous rights given to see the files (so it's normal YOU can see them as administrator/owner).

But I keep an eye on the thread. You made me wanna install and play it again. Never considered it as a good Fallout, but still a really good game.

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm :behave:behave :facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

Well, yes I think you are right... no wonder I haven't gotten any replies on this thread. Try it out now... can you see them?

That's perfect now! Glad I could help you :D

Pretty awesome so far!

That's perfect now! Glad I could help you :D

Pretty awesome so far!

Thanks for letting me know... I was wondering why I hadn't gotten any replies with like 300 views... no pictures! Everybody wants to see pictures! lol.

Yeah, I ordered some milliput so I will be doing some more work on the Pip-Boy when that comes in. I am trying to finish up some Iron Man repulsors at the moment.

I love the CRT lens idea! That will give it that retro like. Also can't wait for the hand piece. Looking good!

I love the CRT lens idea! That will give it that retro like. Also can't wait for the hand piece. Looking good!

Thanks! I will be doing some more work on everything this weekend. I am waiting for the Milliput I ordered so I will probably be working on the NCR Ranger and the handplate this weekend.

This looks awesome, I know a few people who would kill for a Pip-boy :lol

Can you share the Pepakura or Template file that you used for the Handplate? Thanks!!!

The more fallout threads the better! nice build man!

Can you share the Pepakura or Template file that you used for the Handplate? Thanks!!!

No, unfortunately, not at this time. I have sold the rights to Skruffy. He will be making casts and offering them in the junkyard... probably in his Pip-Boy thread. I will post some more info here when he starts making them.

Looks like you're off to a really great start. It's a very ambitious project! I read that you want to have the functionality as well, so are you going to be sticking an LCD behind it and stuffing a raspberry pi inside?
I'm curious to see how you plan to go about it. It kinda reminds me of the MK2 build by nickdaring.

Have you had any luck with an LCD screen the right size for this? I got a 3.5" from MCM and it will work but it's a bit small...

Looks like you're off to a really great start. It's a very ambitious project! I read that you want to have the functionality as well, so are you going to be sticking an LCD behind it and stuffing a raspberry pi inside?
I'm curious to see how you plan to go about it. It kinda reminds me of the MK2 build by nickdaring.

Have you had any luck with an LCD screen the right size for this? I got a 3.5" from MCM and it will work but it's a bit small...

Thanks for your interest guys. We are looking into different ways of hosting the OS. We will be fleshing out the programing and switches before we settle on an LCD. But, yes, we will be putting an LCD screen behind the glass lens.

A 4:3 ratio will match the proportions of the Pip Boy opening but we will have to see if we can get one a little bigger than a 3.5". If not, then rest assured it will still look awesome. I have a backup plan in case we have to go with the 3.5" screen. Also, it wont be touch screen... the touch screen just doesn't match the function of the Pip Boy and you wouldn't be able to use it with the glass lens anyways.

Ok guys, I have been putting the mask together. This is what I have.

Here I am test fitting it. I think it is a good size. It may be a little big but there is barely any room for your face so if I made it smaller then I might have a hard time talking, lol.

I just finished the headset, light, and laser pods:

And I went ahead and built the snout, although I think I might scratch build this part so that I don't have to spend hours finishing it with resin and bondo.

Well, any feedback is very much welcome so please let me know what you think.

i love the bubble shell you are using for your pipboy screen, it looks fantastic!

i love the bubble shell you are using for your pipboy screen, it looks fantastic!

Thanks, I will be posting some more updates on the PipBoy as soon as the Milliput gets here and I can work on it some more.

I did a couple things this weekend but I was mostly busy with my Iron Man projects and casting Wolverine claws:

So I am probably stating the obvious but I will narrate anyways. The first pic is the ammo belt I made. These things cost like $20-$30 if you buy one brand new. The other two pics are the parts I pepped that I coated in Smooth Cast 300 resin. I will be finishing them with Bondo next.

I also started working on the coat. I got the front and the back of the top part cut out and pinned together. I will be sewing that soon as well.

Looks great!

Can you share where you got the plano convex lenses?

I am also searching for a good LCD for the opening. It seems that a 4.3 inch screen with an aspect ratio of 4:3 would probably be the right size. I can't seems to locate a screen that size with that ratio though. The majority of screens that size seem to be widescreens. There are suitable 5 inch screens but they might be too big to fit the cast. It would also have to support a resolution of at least 640x480, I reckon.

What hardware are you planning to use to drive the screen and software?

Looks great!

Can you share where you got the plano convex lenses?

I am also searching for a good LCD for the opening. It seems that a 4.3 inch screen with an aspect ratio of 4:3 would probably be the right size. I can't seems to locate a screen that size with that ratio though. The majority of screens that size seem to be widescreens. There are suitable 5 inch screens but they might be too big to fit the cast. It would also have to support a resolution of at least 640x480, I reckon.

What hardware are you planning to use to drive the screen and software?

Sure, I was looking at different lenses out of projectors and slide viewers. As I said above I could not find one that was the right size 'straight out of the box', so to speak. I had to grind the glass. This can be dangerous and I would not recommend it to anyone that doesn't have the right safety equipment and tools.

I am planning on making some conversion kits in the JY. I will modify the lenses and I will also be casting a new bezel to perfectly hold the lens and fit on Skruffy's Pip Boy casts.

We are also trying to find just the right screen but there is a little more play with this than there seems to be. ;) I will be posting more information on that down the road.

As for the software/hardware we are currently looking into a few options... weighing the pros and cons of each. The PipBoy OS is going to be more of the stage two of this build with the costume coming first do to a convention in 2 weeks, yikes! I better get off this computer.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back