Darkbeauty's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Darkbeauty

Here is my entry for the Costume contest. SHE-RA

Actually this is the third costume I created. First of all I searched for images of She-ra. After that I chose several images to combine them in my costume. I took the most "parts" from a she-ra image of Emiliano Santalucia.
Next step was to find the perfect fabric for it. Faux leather and a heavy Satin for the cape.

I started with the bracers. I made the sewing pattern by my own for it. the first bracers were made of white faux leather. It hought I could paint them with gold leather spray. It didnt work. After painting, the bracers were sticky.

Next step was to paint black high heel boots with gold leather color. That worked out great. The tricky part after that was to find faux leather with the "right" color. I ordered a lot of examples.

For the base I bought a faux leather corsett.

Next in line was the belt, the collar and the next bracers. All the sewing patterns i made worked out great. Bought the gems, for the belt and the bracers, from the rummage table at the at supply shop. I searched for them 30 minutes. To keep the belt and the bracers in shape, I clued foam rubber at the inside.

The skirt was made by my mother and myself. she has more space for sewing work than I have. The sewing pattern for the skirt was very easy. Paper, pencil, a lace and geomatric skills ;)

The next step was the tiara of her. I made a few patters for it to see how it look best. At that moment I had an no idea which material I should use so I stopped at that point.

lets go on with the corsett "cover". I took the sewing patter from the corsett and copied it to the faux leather, sewed everything together, glued foam rubber at the inside, made a nice hem and eyed the outsides, sewed the opposide eyes to the corsett. so I can lace the cover to the corsett. to keep the corsett at the right place I added velcro tape to the cover and the corsett. To find the right size of the front flower I added tape and draw the flower at it. The flower is sewed on the cover. it looks like I quillted it but I only added foam rubber, a bit smaller the flower.

The shinguards are made of wonderflex. I made a cast of my shins and worked on it. I added an extra layer of Wonderflex at the edges. At that point the shinguards looked a bit "naked" with the gem. So I draw some extra symbols on it to decide which one looks good. I used acrylic colors to paint them. The first color was to shiny so I chose bronze instead of gold, it looked much better.

the cape was one of the easiest things. I didnt want a short one that dosent look like a valkyr. I foung my inspiration in the cape oh He-man. I am a lucky girl because my boyfriend owns the screnused costume of Dolph so I took a closer look to shape of it. the pattern of the cape looks like a trapezium. I added on each side of the cape a snap hook. the rings to hook in to it are sewed at the inside of the corset. the problem of the cape was to keep them in position. so I made a small flower and fixed it to the cape.

The tiara was two days of work. I started with the "ring" and bent them around my head and yes it was very hot sometimes ;) than I added each small wing. After the tiara was cold and in shape I added acrylic colors in different shades.

After wearing it for the first time at home, I polished my shoes with brown shoepolish to darken them.

I added some pictures from different conventions. The proofpic will follow.

here is the link for the original thread of the making of ;)
http://www.therpf.com/f24/motu-she-ra-costume-135645/

excuses for the mistakes in grammar and spelling, I am German ;)

Last edited:
Looking really good! Leather-crafting is an admirable art... Good luck with the rest of it; I had a crush on She-Ra when I was just a lonely little padawan. :$

Great costume! I remember being a big He-Man fan when I was a kid and my one friend always wanted to watch She-Ra too. As a 5/6 year old boy I was not impressed. :lol

Don't forget to get that proof pic posted! ;)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back