I had so many dreams of posting this and wanted to wait till i was almost done with the suit. so here we go.
I wanted to make a spiderman suit that resembled the one from the new film as kids are getting familiar with this look now. I was supposed to make a suit from the sam rami spiderman films for a friend and client but there were a few personal issues on making that suit so I decided to go on and make this one to surprise my friend with. I had to literally rush this project and get it done under a week as this was planned months back. The thing with rushing projects is, you tend to mess things up and flaws will appear during the progress of construction.
So to be safe here, im going to say this suit ISNT meant to be screen accurate and I this is the best i can do while working on a time frame and under pressure.
As all spiderman projects, it starts off as a file in photoshop. Since nobody wanted to sell me a pattern for this type of suit, i had to settle and design on my own. Originally i was going to make this suit out of spandex and stretchy mesh which i did a few test masks but wasnt fully satisfied. I designed this suit in 2 days with major sizing issues and flaws with lining up the webbing with individual peices. I used everybody's asm suit design as reference to my own design.
For info on how i designed the muscles on this suit, refer to my other thread
3D PAINTING/PAINTING THE WEBBS:
To save time on this project, I only did the red portions of the whole suit and and the webbing of the mask and chest ONLY. I used TULIP SLICK dimensional fabric paint. which is the same as puff paint and made by the same company. It was all i could get ahold of at a 24 hr walmart at 11pm. lol
The tip was purchased days before i started the project at MICHAEL's ARTS AND CRAFTS which i should of bought Puff paint there in the 1st place! The tip came with an assortment of caps and bottles. I ended up just using the smallest cap in the kit and screwed on the cap to the Tulip bottle and screwed on the tip. THIS THING CLOGS ALOT! use the tip cleaners included in the kit.
I use this:
Amazon.com: Loew Cornell 724 Bottles and Tips: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
The lenses was simple to make and I didnt put much effort on designing it. I should of but im aready not screen accurate, might as well do my own type of lenses. I simply made a honeycomb pattern in photoshop and printed onto transparency sheets used for overhead projectors. I then applied SILVER residential tint on the back. I couldnt find gold locally. Silver worked for this project.
The frame was made out of a thick vinyl with a pattern that matched the honeycomb look throughout the suit. I didnt have the time to sculpt and made real plastic frames in my time limit.
If i were in a sweat shop and had gun pointed to my head to sew something, id be dead! I sewed this suit together POORLY. If i flipped the suit inside out, you would laugh. The seams were poorly done. I added a zipper to the sides and behind the mask. I wouldnt want anyone to buy this suit from me... My client seams to not care of my sewing ability. oh well.....
The suit isnt 100% finished and isnt what i wanted it to be but i will work on a second suit for myself or a friend and post my progress on this thread as the weeks pass. I will post more photos of this prototype suit as the client sends me photos. I only had time to take very little snap shots. More pics will be added.
FINAL THOUGHTS AND CHANGES:
If i were to redo this suit again which i defidently will in a few weeks, I would
-Redesign the pattern to match the version MCL34N made since his seams are placed at the right places.
-Make screen accurate lenses with the proper materials.
-ADD shoes like the ones from the film.
-And diffidently.....TAKE MY TIME lol.