About a week ago I finally got cracking on my catwoman costume for Dragon*Con. I've had the whip and goggles sitting around for months, but was too busy finishing some wings for another con (which I can't even bring to D*con because they're too big).
Here's what I am aiming toward:
And here's where I am so far...
I got some motorcycle goggles because I liked the lens shape and color. I made the catseye wings out of green upholstery foam (I have a lot of scraps of it from my wings, so I am using it for everything). I covered the foam in tape to hold and shape it even more. Then I plastidip sprayed it.
It was fairly lumpy, so I did some patches of epoxy, then re-sprayed.
Still wasn't smooth enough for my liking, one of the sides had a lot of air bubble pinpricks, even though I sprayed the whole thing the exact same way, and at the same time. So I have coated it all in epoxy and sanded with my new dremel (no more borrowing, yay!). I probably should've sanded by hand, but I just want to use the dremel for everything right now.
I am intending to either give it some layers of clear gloss spray or another coat of epoxy.
The first zipper I put in turned out to be too short. Then I got a longer zipper and put it on perfectly. Unfortunately I decided I wanted to redo the collar, it scratched a bit under my chin, and since I plan to wear this zipped up, I can't deal with that. So attempt three on the zipper, I made the stupid mistake of pinning while standing. The fabric got pinned and sewn slightly stretched and I ended up with a wobbly zipper.
So, I took the zipper off. It is sitting pinned on my floor right now. Hopefully the fourth time is the last for this zipper fiasco.
Left to do on the suit:
- finish zipper
- add sleeves
- fit to myself with shapewear on
- serge seams
And then the hood:
Also, you can see how annoyingly lumpy the goggles were before the epoxy. The little buckles are luggage tag holders. I got a bag of a couple hundred of them at a thrift store years ago for $4, best score ever, I use them often.
For the ears, I cut the shape out of my green foam scraps, then covered them in electrical tape to make them a little less squishy. Then covered them with fabric. I used hot glue to keep the fabric in the inner part of the ear.
Here the ears are just pinned on. I just wanted to see what it would look like with the goggles, too.
Here are the ears stitched on. As annoying as they were to sew on, I think I might redo them, I am not quite happy with them. They're not quite even and I think I want them to go down farther. From some angles they look awesome, but from some, like this picture, they look weird and goofy.
So, off to work on the zipper and sleeves. Thanks for looking.