Cayman Shen's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry: Custom Jason Voorhees

cayman shen

Master Member
I was going to go as Walter White this year, but decided I really wanted to do something horror themed, as that's a huge part of my Halloween obsession: I love the macabre.

In years past, I've always wanted a cool costume, but balked at spending money and procrastinated, so ended up with something forgettable, halfhearted, and lame.

This year I decided on my fave horror killer Jason Voorhees. BUT, I knew I couldn't afford to do any of my three favorite versions (7, Vs., Remake). And though the work shirt and gray pants of part 3 are simple, they're too clean. I like ratty, hobo, zombie Jason. In his new green work shirt, he looks like Bob Villa.

So I went to Goodwill with the plan to do a custom Jason in the spirit of the remake look. I bought a jacket there. On ebay I got a cheapie mask. I used my own tee, pants, and boots. I bought a machete and some paint at Walmart. Total: about $55. That's about my limit. Making something cool is all down to effort and creativity now...no more purchases! Unfortunately, I'm spotty in the creativity department. I also have a history of not finishing things. I was determined to see this through though.

The boots were easiest: a little black paint, and voila.

The tee was already a bit mangy. I weathered it with a serrated bread knife, mists of black spray paint, mists of dye made from magic marker inserts soaked in water, and I stained the sweatiest areas with coffee. This shirt smells vile. I couldn't capture it on camera, but the weathering is more subtle than it appears here. Still, this was step one, and the poorest done. Thankfully most of the worst errors will be hidden.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    600.3 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
The pants, I distressed with a bread knife, misted with black paint, misted with several coats of brown shades (Apple Barrel cheapo paint in a spray bottle with water). The knees, seat, and cuffs, where I imagined he'd get dampest, got weathered with coffee. A small amount of subtle blood smear and splatter was added after these photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 246
The jacket has been the most fun. I removed the hood, distressed the crap out of it with a serrated bread knife, then hit the high wear areas with a mist of diluted bleach. Any area that was too light I misted with black. Then I hit it with several mists in various shades of brown, but subtly. Finally I worked in some dark red Apple Barrel paint with a wet finger for blood stains. The jacket has been a lot of fun and I'm very pleased with it. It's definitely the best of the clothing items, and as it's most visible it got the most attention to detail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    901 KB · Views: 483
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 316
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    881.5 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    636 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
And of course, the hock. No undermask this year, on account of poverty, but I got an inexpensive ebay mask. I painted a cheapo hock once before, but paid no attention to detail. Just beat it up. This time, I'd like to approximate the 3 hock, so I have a display piece when I'm done. This is the only part I'm attempting to make movie accurate. This will be from the barn scene, dirty but with no axe split.

I didn't realize how much flash was in the holes until after the first coat. Oh well.

The krylon fusion didn't atomize well but came out runny and splattered. After the first coat, I sanded. The second and third coats, with sanding between, stuck better. I gave up on masking the buttons. I 'll remove the paint later. Once the basecoat was done, I sealed it with gloss.

When the gloss clear coat was dry, I sponged on a coat of 59 cent Walmart paint and let it dry. After an hour I rubbed most of it off under hot water. This is grime layer one.

More to follow!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    883.9 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 203
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    996.4 KB · Views: 206
Another slightly darker wash sponged on then mostly wiped off under hot water after drying. Removed paint for wear mark on nose, asked off buttons and buffed the paint off with a dremel. Seven layers of paint so far.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 233
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 203
Added some mottling/rust, then layers of gore. You can't see it in the pics, but there's some hair stuck in the blood :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 224
Thanks! My twelve year old son, the donor, thought it was appropriately gross :)

Did the chevrons. Not entirely accurate size and placement but...it's something I can try to do better next time, and for now it gets the job done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 363
And the final mask. Chevrons really bugging me, but I think the weathering looks pretty good. The color is a more yellowed, antique ivory look in real life.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 224
This looks really good. The amount of distressing and aging you put into this really does the job. It really wouldn't be the same without it.

As for the chevrons, If I'm allowed to make a suggestion I'd say it's not the shape that's the problem, but the condition. They seem a little too vibrant and intact when the rest of the mask is in much worse shape. If you tried dulling them a little and wearing of a few ships of paint to break the lines a bit I feel that they'd "fit in" a lot better with the rest of the mask.

It's just an idea.

The whole thing looks wicked. Can't wait to see the final pictures of this.

Looking great!
@cayman shen

This entry just needs a proof pic and a pic in the gallery. :)

Unfortunately the costume was wrecked due to excessive partying before I could get a pic, so no contest entry for me I guess. But I DID have a fun time!

- - - Updated - - -

This looks really good. The amount of distressing and aging you put into this really does the job. It really wouldn't be the same without it.

As for the chevrons, If I'm allowed to make a suggestion I'd say it's not the shape that's the problem, but the condition. They seem a little too vibrant and intact when the rest of the mask is in much worse shape. If you tried dulling them a little and wearing of a few ships of paint to break the lines a bit I feel that they'd "fit in" a lot better with the rest of the mask.

It's just an idea.

The whole thing looks wicked. Can't wait to see the final pictures of this.

I enjoyed painting this enough that I may take another shot, and get the shape/weathering on the chevrons nailed on try two! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, even though this doesn't show everything, and it doesn't count toward my entry, here's a final selfie to bid the project adieu!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 220
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back