Captain Jack Harkness Coat Fabric

Vlair

So I'm making a Captain Jack Harkness costume for Fan Expo, and the most difficult bit (other than finding the vortex manipulator, no one sells them here in Canada it seems) is the coat. Now, I know that the coat on the show was custom made, and Moleskin. And as such I plan on making it out of moleskin. the only problem is I can't find any. I went into a fabric store, asked for it, one girl sent me to the other side of the store, where it was not there, and when I asked the people there, they didnt have a gorram clue what I was talking about. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get it? Or something Similar?

torchwood1-003.jpg

Danke!

Last edited:
Re: Captain Jack Harkness Coat

From what I've read it's based off an old RAF greatcoat so you could try searching for RAF greatcoats and fine one that's close enough to mod.

I found a couple that were close enough to mod, but the main reason I want to do it properly is becasue the RAF greatcoats are full on wool, and HEAVY as hell. the Moleskin is thinner, and a bit lighter. Plus the RAF coat is a lot shorter than jacks actual coat, and I would have to buy one and then get it modded, where instead I can just buy the fabric, and get it made for nothing (well, not nothing, i have to buy the fabric, but I have friends who go to school for fashion design, who are willing to make the coat for me)

When I first started researching this costume, I came across a costume-maker based out of India that makes custom made Harkness/RAF greatcoats. If you're interested I can try to find who it was. Although I doubt it'll be ready and shipped by the end of August, but who knows. I'll be at Fan Expo too, look for one of the X-Wing pilots/SG-1/Captain Hammer, and that'll be me!

Nice! and nah, there's no point in me paying for the full costume, when I can get all the work done for free. I just need to find the gorram fabric! lols. thanks though.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back