Captain America Costume Discussion

IndyFanChuck

Sr Member
I was chatting about what the "real" Captain America costume would look like if they do the whole film. We all know that they can't just make it look like it does in the comic books because it might not translate. Or it may, who knows.

But, I was thinking the Ultimate version of the costume looks more feasable. I wanted to start a discussion on what they might do with the costume and how they could make it look good?

Are there any good costumes out there at all? I have seen a few on young people, but they are mostly spandex. I would love to see if there were any quality costumes out there - or any artwork that might look good if it was made.

Any thoughts??? Discuss! ;)

I have a feeling they'll go the X-men route with it, make it look really sleek and futuristic, but somehow maintain the red white and blue theme.

I think it was Travis Charest who made an illustration about Captain America that was a great image and it could totally work as a movie costume (especially a WWII costume), it was the classic look, with the blue canvas pants (BDU style, more or less...), a stiff shirt (leathery in the look), with the red and white stripes, like he sewn an American flag over the shirt, a blue chainmaille/scales over it with a white leather star sewn over the chest, a leathery/canvassy hood-mask with a metal helmet underneath and a leather "A" sewn on it. And then a pair of dark red leather boots and gloves... Probably there was also an old style military/gun belt, but I'm not sure about it... And I thin it could work a costume like that...

-EDIT-
I don't think it was this image (I remember some background in it), but definately this could work well on screen...

Last edited:
I love this version:

074kr.jpg

...because it seems to me how'd you'd kit up a WWII super-soldier "for real." I love how they left his ears sticking out. :)

I've had the jacket done (the same girl who made my Apes jacket, FunkyJedi :) ), which is the hard part. The rest is WWII surplus I just haven't had time to get since my baby came.

captainlarryamerica.jpg

I sure hope they go more classic (like the Travis Charest version -without the belt)
I really dislike the "trying-to-be-retro" one with the brown leather mask.:thumbsdown While I know they are using a little of the Ultimates in the storyline, I think they will stay classic with the mask.:) Marvel producing it's own work with IM & Hulk have been great so I guess I will have to trust they don't screw with classic Cap.

P.S. I am breaking my own rule of never posting in any thread that end it's posting in "discuss." Just a personal pet peeve:lol

P.S.S. We need a good run of affordable shields (round) on the board - something I can paint myself, before the movie hits. :)

Don't know why, but I always felt Captain Americas costume(s) would translate well onto the big screen, I mean how cool does this look!

CaptainAmericaAlexRossSketch3.jpg

As long as they stay as far as possible from that horrid rubber monstrosity they used in the 90s movie I'll probably be okay.

I wouldn't mind a little bit of the more retro/army period piece uniforms, but he'd better have the iconic suit for the modern day Avengers movie.

Dont forget...part of the idea of that costume in the comic originally was for him to be a "poster boy" or morale leader. He's supposed to be a bit "out there" as he's basically propaganda.
The cuffed boots are easily explained...just have them up to his knees and show him rolling them down. Explain the shield like a riot shield. Any of the pics above would work for me. As long as they dont make it a Crysis/Nano-Suit.

Last edited:
I love this version:

074kr.jpg

...because it seems to me how'd you'd kit up a WWII super-soldier "for real." I love how they left his ears sticking out. :)

Also my favorite. If I ever did a superhero costume (wait.. V didn't count did it?) it would likely be this one. I just love the use of realistic historical costume.

My hope is that we see more than one costume. Rumor is that the movie will start with Cap going to WW2, then jump forward to modern times. This would likely require a change of costume. Let's just hope for less black leather on this one. What would a modernized version of the WW2 costume look like? A Red, white, & blue punisher?

As long as it's not the Alex Ross "Captain Puerto Rico" costume. Ugh.

Everything I've seen points to the movie being completely set in the 40's and then in Avengers they revive Cap in the present. I hope that's the case, it'd be a blast to see the films done that way; it's consistent with the comics to do it that way.

It's gonna be hard to realize this character. He's meant to be taken seriously but his costume is kinda goofy.

The head wings are especially gonna be hard to make look "cool" if they go that route.

Here are a few fan costumes attempt at making Cap into a living breathing character-

Pretty dang cool adaptation of the Classic Cap.
2364005675_ff716d9962_b.jpg

2364843676_84c3991390_b.jpg

Three weeks spent gluing on the scales didn't leave much time for making a mask that fits. :unsure
933125426_c3d0512aa1_b.jpg

"Hey man, What's more American than blue jeans!?!"

The chainmail is cool though!
2438251552_2e837bb7d8_b.jpg

Captain creepy here even scares Nazis.
129244229_6896831b9a.jpg

The rarely seen Adam West Cap. Burt Ward as Bucky was unable to attend.
1011521316_3cb26c701c.jpg

The Cold War years were hard on our fine hero... Nice costume though!
233844269_de1166aa04_b.jpg

1300668354_56902e8732_o.jpg

This looks like a theme park costume. Having someone that is tall and muscley makes a big difference in the tone of the character.
443727128_e33e723313_b.jpg

The droopy wings really make this one sing.
39431567_6815910c31_b.jpg

Aren't you a little short for a super soldier?
403086737_17c6e23105_o.jpg

This kid rules. Nuff said.
943779410_7f8f2c2934.jpg

The real question is what will the movie Bucky look like?
248668404_6184e02a74_b.jpg

We have a winner...
281093813_079cedb4d2_b.jpg

It's a little known fact that Steve Rogers tried out for the Captain America job before the super serum incident.
288971652_2793b64d5b_o.jpg

Uh... Wuh...????
2322037423_1df7db260b_b.jpg

Totally awesome on so many levels...
82392365_c4ac9d21b7.jpg

82392326_28deaa2bb8.jpg

Like steroids, the super soldier serum can have some unwanted hormonal side effects.
332114043_f0c1e5907c.jpg

2294289126_a4a3f2d665_b.jpg

Ultimate Cap looks pretty cool.
1333864752_966699760f_b.jpg

Nevermind...
1289450559_2a33fb0838_b.jpg

and last but not least-

"Arctic Adventure Gear Captain America"

1349105354_33f605b928_o.jpg

Sorry for the giant post. That was fun.

Nick

I could see them doing something along the same lines as they did with the new batman where they cover him in some sort of ballistics armor but somehow have all the traits of the red white and blue scheme to it......god knows however how they plan to pull off his mask.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back