Buck Rogers Costume Patterns

stingray

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This maybe in a another thread somewhere. If so, just point me there. I was wondering if there were any patterns out there for the Buck Rogers suit and the formal jacket.

4629812_gal.jpg

11072259_gal.jpg

I own an original of both uniforms. The Dress Jacket is very simple to recreate; it is a standard suit jacket pattern (very fitted) with a stand-and-fall Naploeonic style collar.

The white duty uniform is much more complex. I have started to draft a pattern based on one of the suits I own, but it's coming along slowly.

I own an original of both uniforms. The Dress Jacket is very simple to recreate; it is a standard suit jacket pattern (very fitted) with a stand-and-fall Naploeonic style collar.

The white duty uniform is much more complex. I have started to draft a pattern based on one of the suits I own, but it's coming along slowly.

Hi Kezler,

I really want to make a white uniform too. Have you managed to draft up a pattern?

Regards

Adam

Same here, I'm attending a Con in January that has Gil and Erin as guests, and wanted to have a uniform done to match my helmet.

Same here- now that Master Coyle is possibly producing casts from the Laser Pistol we are one component closer. While the Earth Directorate patch and gold wings pin are fairly common, pieces like the holster, belt computer and grey armband are scarce. Stormtrooper boots will also suffice but SA boots have whopping great grips so I was thinking of adding the base of another boot (like a Wellington maybe?) to emulate it. Regardless- a pattern for the suit is a leap in the right direction...

So, did I kind of help light a fire under Buck here? I hope so a little.

As an aside, first, KK@ MUST drop weight for Buck-Wear!

Second, I am in the process of rewatching the first season and with the techie stuff aside and the bad 70's references aside too, the shows are good, some are very good. I like more and more that Erin Gray's Wilma is not just eye candy. She bails Buck out from time to time, she's tough and vulnerable. IMO, characters that follow her like BSG's new Starbuck, Captain Janeway and others owe Wilma some props for being the first serious female space captain/leader on TV.

Thanks to all. Much "grah" as they say in Ireland.

Peace
KK2

Same here- now that Master Coyle is possibly producing casts from the Laser Pistol we are one component closer. While the Earth Directorate patch and gold wings pin are fairly common, pieces like the holster, belt computer and grey armband are scarce. Stormtrooper boots will also suffice but SA boots have whopping great grips so I was thinking of adding the base of another boot (like a Wellington maybe?) to emulate it. Regardless- a pattern for the suit is a leap in the right direction...

I actually have finished pieces for the belt and arm boxes with the original model parts along with the buckle insignia and holster / armband patterns. I was extremely lucky to be provided with the model kit info quite a while back for the various boxes (arm/belt/rear belt) and did some serious searching (read: e-Bay and every model shop within the southwest) for the right kits. I was able to find all but two that were out of production and had to fabricate two of the smaller pieces for the arm box. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

Wow Dash -

That's light years ahead (figuritively speaking) than I thought was possible - so you can probably guess the next question - Could casts be made of the accessories and offered by you at some point in future...?

Sure. Honestly didn't think there was a lot of interest in ole' Buck. Let me get some pics up and see what the interest level looks like. I know I have a mold for the buckle emblem but never poured molds for any of the other pieces.

Sure. Honestly didn't think there was a lot of interest in ole' Buck. Let me get some pics up and see what the interest level looks like. I know I have a mold for the buckle emblem but never poured molds for any of the other pieces.

Yep, definetely us Buck fans are out there :) Can't wait to see more pics....I'd love to get this costume nailed next year. It's been on my wish list for what seems like eternity :)

So with interest in this costuming project let me ask;

Would there be a preference for solid cast pieces or actual vacformed with casts of the greeblies?
Is there a want for the armband pattern and holster pattern? The armband is a walk in the park but realize the holster fits the lasers that I produced years ago.

2984724431_b892d20f84.png

DLASER

2984724377_74fb05f47e.png

BLASER

A couple reasons for the question; I can mold the arm, front belt and rear belt boxes with the attached details, it'll take a bit to get the materials in and get things molded & poured. Also, this would make the boxes heavier and may present a problem, especially with the larger rear belt box.

However, if I vacform the boxes (per the original show specs) and pour just the greeblies, production would be faster and the final product lighter and have the ability to add electronics if preferred.

And getting back on thread track a bit; I've been racking my brain on the harder portions of the flightsuit pattern. After talking with a couple seamstress types, my initial thought for the "ribbing" on the arms and pants is to do a modified French seam. Has anyone thought about this?

@ Dash Thanks for all the info and where did that Directorate blaster come from? It's BEAUTIFUL!

Color me interested.

KK2

P.S. Who's got a good weight loss solution for me so I don't look like Buck Marshmallow, in 21st Century? :rolleyes

@ Dash Thanks for all the info and where did that Directorate blaster come from? It's BEAUTIFUL!

Color me interested.

KK2

P.S. Who's got a good weight loss solution for me so I don't look like Buck Marshmallow, in 21st Century? :rolleyes

They were my first project after working some original BSG pieces; I put them together from screenshots about 7/8 years ago. The first set, not so pretty. These two actually light up with a white LED in the acrylic tips. I sold a few pieces and as is often with this hobby they were recast from an eBayer, so I put them on a shelf.

Weight loss;
-1st set your goal.
-Then stop your sugar intake from anything other than unrefined food and limit your alcohol to no more than two drinks a week (none if you can do it).
-No cheating!
-Up your water intake and put your time in at the gym alternating between aerobic and anaerobic workouts.
-Record everything you eat and keep the intake below 1850 calories
-Break up your meals into small ones (5-6 a day)
-Did I mention no cheating…

I do 6 days a week; 4 (1 – 1.5 hrs.) anaerobic and 2 (45-60min.) aerobic. Realize it will take a few weeks (4-5) to see results, but when you do you’ll be pleased!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most excellent!

I guess the vacuforming for both authenticity and practicality would be best for the boxes - would they be rigid enough for sustainance, however? It would be nice to be able to have the lighted portion of the belt box functional too...
You mention the belt buckle - would I be right in thinking it is a chromed plate with a transfer logo or something more elaborate...?
Either way - fantastic to have some movement on this...!

Yeh, sounds great. The vacforming method I think is the way to go....
As for the belt buckle, was it a crome buckle with a solid molding of the earth symbol attached?
With regards to the seamstress work and the ribbing, I haven't the foggiest unfortunately. This seems to be the hardest part of the costume.

p.s Loving those blasters, especially the fact they have working leds too :)

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the spandex, the correct stuff is a bit pricey. I'm going to draft a pattern as close as I can and see how it turns out.

The boxes would definitely be strong enough for electronics, I'm going to go with a front and back "buck". I should be able to knock them out today and maybe get some pulls...
The buckle was the same military parade buckle used in Galactica for the bridge folks. The Earth defense logo was either resin or foam I've seen research that supports both, mine are in resin and can just be glued on.

Well I bit the bullet and ordered the spandex, the correct stuff is a bit pricey. I'm going to draft a pattern as close as I can and see how it turns out.

The boxes would definitely be strong enough for electronics, I'm going to go with a front and back "buck". I should be able to knock them out today and maybe get some pulls...
The buckle was the same military parade buckle used in Galactica for the bridge folks. The Earth defense logo was either resin or foam I've seen research that supports both, mine are in resin and can just be glued on.

Nice one....which spandex material did you go for? If you need any more pics of the costume, to help with the draft pattern, give me a pm and I'll email you what I have if it helps in any way.

Yeh, the buckle I had seen, had what appeared to be a resin earth defence logo attached. So your's sound great! :) Can't wait to see the progress of this costume project :)

After talking with a couple seamstress types, my initial thought for the "ribbing" on the arms and pants is to do a modified French seam. Has anyone thought about this?

I'd be interested in the boxes, belt buckle logo, and armband pattern. As for the seams I remember spcglider posting that the seams were made by sewing into the costume in some manner on the backside of the material. I'm not sure what a French seam is, and I've looked for his old post but can't find it. Maybe someone else can have better luck locating it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back