Subscribe
    From
    Ohio, U.S.A.
    May 23, 2011, 12:50 AM - British Admiral's Hat (Napoleonic Era) need help #1

I need to make something resembling a British admiral's hat from the Napoleonic era, for a LARP. Something like you would see in Pirates of the Caribbean. Historical accuracy is not a priority. I need to make it as easily and cheaply as possible, but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any advice? Materials, pattern, anything? I've looked online for an instructable or tutorial for anything similar, but haven't found anything useful yet.

Much thanks.
  2. RPF Premium Member KristinaLeigh's Avatar
    From
    Columbus, Ohio
    May 23, 2011, 1:10 AM - Re: British Admiral's Hat (Napoleonic Era) need help #2

A very popular hat during the Napoleonic era was the Bicorn. You can probably find one fairly cheap online or at a store like Party City.

Here is an online tutorial for one as well: How to Make a Napoleon Hat | eHow.com

I would do a google image search for bicorn hats and tricorn hats for ideas.
  3. RPF Premium Member parkseiii's Avatar
    From
    San Diego, CA
    May 23, 2011, 2:08 PM - Re: British Admiral's Hat (Napoleonic Era) need help #3

I know you said that you want to do it on the cheap, but if you get stuck, the only place I can recommend is:

Cockedhats.com

Parks
    From
    Ohio, U.S.A.
    May 23, 2011, 11:54 PM - Re: British Admiral's Hat (Napoleonic Era) need help #4

thanks. I guess I would have helped if I knew what they were called.
  5. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    May 24, 2011, 9:02 AM - Re: British Admiral's Hat (Napoleonic Era) need help #5

Kristina beat me to it...
    Yep, the Bicorn is basically a hat with a really big brim folded up on two sides. The tricorn, or what we know as "the pirate hat" is the same thing folded on three.

If you're lucky enough to find a ladies wide brim hat in your local thrift store, you have the best base to start from.
  6. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    May 24, 2011, 9:10 AM - Re: British Admiral's Hat (Napoleonic Era) need help #6

James Townsend has them also.
    From
    Ohio, U.S.A.
    Jul 3, 2011, 4:38 PM - Re: British Admiral's Hat (Napoleonic Era) need help #7

Thanks for the help. Once I had the proper name, it was a lot easier to find reference pics.

I ended up making my own out of chipboard and black cloth. Here are a couple of pics. I will be posting more pics and a build log of the project (including other costume pieces that go with it) on my web site very soon.

I think it turned out as well as I could have hoped for my first attempt at such a thing.