Borderlands Psycho Bandit Costume Update on Page 4

SKS Props

Sr Member
Hi my name is Steve and I am new to your site and prop building in general. This is my first attempt at creating a video game based mask and costume. I am a huge Borderlands fan and thought that I would create a very realistic version of the iconic Psycho Bandit. I will do my best to describe what is going on with the build but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

To start off I created the gas mask resperator for the front of the mask. This was made from scratch with several found objects and multiple plumbing supplies.

IMG_0409.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Borderlands Psycho Bandit Mask

Next I sculpted the entire under mask in Chavant NSP clay so I could use some Smooth On Rebound 25 for the mold later on.

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

After the details are completed I cast the entire mask in Rebound 25 and cover it in Plasti Paste. The gas mask part is cast seperate and will be attached after the parts are cleaned up. The molding process pretty much stripped the clay off of my origional so I am really glad the silicone came out great.

IMG_0438.jpg

Here the the first cast with Smooth on 2 part Resin. It came out pretty good I had to clean it up with a dremel and then primed it with etching car primer.

IMG_0436.jpg

Using acrylic paint this is where the details and textures in the face really come out. I use a multi layer dry brush technique and then sealed the whole piece in clear acrylic spray. Here I also attached car trim to the outside edge to clean it up and to make it a little more comfortable to wear.

IMG_0440.jpg

Yeah, this is my what if it was real version. I have actually gone back and made a version that looks more like the video game.

Here is the mask with the elastic straps attached and my 7 and 4 year old daughters having some fun.

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

Then as a finishing touch I added 2 LED lights per eye which are wired to an on off switch and battery housing in the lower mouth area.

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

After finishing that version I decided to make a new mask more like the image in the video game. I made the front gas resperator smaller smoothed out the texture of the face and came up with a new paint scheme.

borderlands9.jpg

borderlands8.jpg

I have never thought that anything like this would take my interest, but I would love to give this a go. does anyone know any useful ways to learn? And how much it costs on average to do things like this?

great job mate brilliant are you sure you've not done anything like that before ;) keep it up :D

I am a freelance illustrator so I had sculpture classes in college but I have never attempted to sculpt and cast anything before this. I did a bunch of research and watched multiple videos, but for my first go I am pretty happy with the outcome.

I am currently working on the pants and toying with making the buzz axe

Kick ass job, on both versions! But where's the pose?! You GOTTA make your hand a pistol and point it at your chin! :p

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back