Bioshock 2 Subject Delta Costume Complete New Pics 2/25/12!

DarkJedi1500

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
About two months ago I decided to start on Subject Delta from Bioshock 2 with the goal of having the suit ready by D*con 2009. I have been posting pictures and updates to my face book account but realized I should put some updates here as well to allow the rest of the prop building community to see what I have been up to. All the pictures can be found here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2954209&id=1921590&l=1a7c9427bb​

And now into the details. The helmet started off as a pepakura model that was trimmed to fit my mannequin. Once the shape and size reached a point I felt comfortable with I applied two layers of cloth and resin to support the helmet for additional sculpting and then applied several applications of bondo until the general shape was nice and smooth.
DSCN6484.jpg

DSCN6506.jpg

DSCN6518.jpg

For the raised details such as the outer ring and camera, I used balsa wood and hot glue to achieve the desired shape and surface height, followed by bondo to blend everything in. I also made resin castings of a mag light for the chest lights and a smaller flashlight for the camera lens and control knob.
DSCN6525.jpg

DSCN6543.jpg

DSCN6592.jpg

The rivets were added by pounding finish nails into the helmet. After the nails and other small details were applied, I made a silicon rubber mold of the helmet to produce a lightweight resin casting for the final product. With the casting pulled, the handles, weight supports, rear guard, made from PVC, and other small details were added to the helmet, followed by several coats of Krylon Hammered Copper Paint.
DSCN6610.jpg

DSCN6614.jpg

DSCN6675.jpg

DSCN6718.jpg

DSCN6721.jpg

DSCN6789.jpg

The wing nuts are actually castings. I took a ½” wing nut and grinded it to the proper shape, and then made a silicon mold. I then casted resin copies with a #8 nut inside so the nuts could be bolted to the helmet. The nuts were painted silver to provide contrast with the helmet.
DSCN6780.jpg

The two main tanks were made from cardboard tubes coated in resin and bondo. The top of the tanks were sculpted from great stuff expanding foam and then coated in fiberglass and bondo. The rings are made from balsa and the rivets are once again finish nails. The tanks are designed with a flat surface so they can be bolted to the helmet without wobbling. With the tanks and helmet painted they have now been handed off to my friend for weathering.
DSCN6618.jpg

DSCN6621.jpg

DSCN6790.jpg

DSCN6792.jpg

The drill is still a work in progress. I started with several foam disk glued together and sanded to form a cone. The foam was then covered in a layer of paper mache to prevent the resin from eating it. I then used poster board to form the threads and coated the whole thing in several coats of resin to provide strength. At the moment I am sanding it down and should be applying primmer soon.
DSCN6743.jpg

DSCN6751.jpg

DSCN6752.jpg

DSCN6765.jpg

DSCN6771.jpg

I will try to post updates a little more regularly as I move forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
re: Bioshock 2 Subject Delta Costume WIP with Pics!

Can't believe nobody's commented on this. It looks amazing!

re: Bioshock 2 Subject Delta Costume WIP with Pics!

Can't believe nobody's commented on this. It looks amazing!

There WERE three other comments on this thread before! Where did they go?!

Anyway, here are some updated on the drill progress. With easter and the shuttle launch approaching this may be the last update for a few weeks.

The drill itself has been painted. A coworker machined a piece to join the aluminum rod to the drill so that everything will turn together:

DSCN6817.jpg

DSCN6875.jpg

The outer detail sleve was shaped from foam, paper mache, and fiberglass. This slips over the 4" pvc.

DSCN6849.jpg

DSCN6877.jpg

I've also shapped the vent detail and front edge greeblies. These have been molded and will be cast 4 and 6 times respectivly, then added to the sleve.

DSCN6907.jpg

DSCN6910.jpg

Stay Tuned!

Re: Bioshock 2 Subject Delta Costume WIP with Pics!

looks cool dude. hey do you mid telling me where you got the PEP file? ive got one like it but it always splits up the peices.

Look's good man well done,cant wait to see it finished oh and well done on the helmet and drill.

can you possibly post the pep files for the helmet, it would be much appreciated.

by the way fantastic build, i am seriously in awe.

Fantasic work. One of my favorite game series, would love to see this in real life.

Awesome work man! I can't wait to see this finished, I've had friends begging me to build a Subject Delta costume for a while, but haven't... this looks like a decently easy way to go about doing it!

I will be anxiously awaiting for more progress on this! Fantastic work!

Thanks for the compliments guys! It really helps me stay motivated. The pep file can be found in this thread here:

Bioshock 2 W.i.p

Keep in mind I hand to do ALOT of manual cutting and taping to get it to fit me right and have the correct proportion. Progress is a little slow right now due to other things in my life going on but I hope to start hitting this full speed again next week!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back