Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 1, 2011, 9:25 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #26

Larry Young said: View Post
    If you get someone to knit you the Pendleton, make sure you have a 1.5" ring pull, because YKK makes different sizes.
    I looked up YKK, and they no longer make the correct kind of ring pull zipper tab, their newer ones are completely empty circles with no curved solid piece in the top, and it looks like the other ones I found do have that bit, but I'll make sure I contact the seller before I buy to make sure they're right size.

Larry Young said: View Post
    Looks like some dye-ing is going to be needed on that BB&B robe:
    Hmm, in that photo the robe looks to be almost purple, which I know can't be right. Maybe it's just the picture or the camera it was taken with, but I'm fairly sure the original was a medium brown color. And even if it is purple, I'd much rather match on screen color than actual color, and I'll probably have to dye it anyways to get that medium brown color.

nickytea said: View Post
    Any leads on the Pajama pants?
    I'm pretty sure that they're traning/ weightlifting pants from the 80's, and searches on ebay and google seem to turn up many similar looking pants. The key is to just keep looking until you find the right pair.

I looked some more at reference photos and decided I'll probably go with those Okabashi sandals that were recommended and then use a curved cut to remove the middle strap to get a similar look to that of the ones in the movie. Okabashi Milan Sandals
    From
    Syracuse, NY
    Feb 2, 2011, 7:59 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #27

The robe is medium brown. I'm not really sure what's going on with the pic where it looks purple, but it's actually, well, dirt colored.

For reference, you can get the baseball tee here or here, but you should get it here.

It's another piece that was Jeff Bridge's own clothing - he also wore it for a scene in The Fisher King.
    Feb 2, 2011, 9:42 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #28

There's some really great information being shared in this thread, I'll probably edit the original post and add all this information and links so it can be a one stop spot for all your 'The Dude' needs and what have you.

On the front for the shorts, I managed to find a pair I rather liked and looked quite close to the plaid shorts that The Dude wears several times throughout the movie, including the opening supermarket scene.

I'm planning on using a seam ripper to remove the cargo style pockets and maybe giving it a quick dip in some olive colored dye to make them a bit darker.
    From
    Valdosta, GA
    Feb 2, 2011, 3:23 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #29

AdamNightmare said: View Post
    For reference, you can get the baseball tee here or here, but you should get it here.
    I like the one from Found Item Clothing. Seems to match the color and printing of the Lebowski screen shirt pretty well. The shirt from Lebowski Fest looks more like it does in The Fisher King but like the robe I'd rather have what it looks like on screen than what it looks like in person.
    From
    Valdosta, GA
    Feb 2, 2011, 3:27 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #30

This one also looks pretty nice as I prefer thinner, more vintage style shirts. I've had the Found Item shirt for a few years but I may give this one a try.

The Big Lebowski Kaoru Betto Baseball Raglan T-shirt - The Big Lebowski - Free Shipping on orders over $60 | TV Store Online

6. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    England
    Feb 2, 2011, 4:32 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #31

CrowTeeRobot, them shorts seem to be an almost spot on match for the ones shown in the photo in the back of the limo. I do believe however that the ones worn in the supermarket are a different pair, maybe the same make/style but certainly more green/blue plaid than the cream/brown plaid worn in the limo. Nice find though!

I'm certain the pants are the 80's style weightlifting trousers, I remember people wearing them back then... they never looked good even then lol. I guess ebay is the only option here.
    Feb 3, 2011, 6:28 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #32

Went out today and picked up about $60 worth of yarn and knitting supplies at Jo-Ann Fabrics, AC Moore and Michaels, visited all those stores at least twice each, but managed to get suitably colored yarn.

Some more info on The Dude related items:

On ebay there's someone selling some very nice, high quality replicas of the Man of the Year Time mirrors, just search for lebowski time mirror and they should pop up.

There's also someone selling dead-on replica's of the Dude's checkbook, just serach for Lebowski checkbook and you'll find it.

And here's a direct link to the Otomix Martial Arts shoes, they're on sale right now, so it'd be a good time to pick them up.
    MMA/Karate/Taekwondo Shoe

Whelp, looks like I won't be paying the tuition for my spring semester, but at least I'll have some pretty awesome The Dude clothes!
  8. Member Since
    Nov 2010
    From
    England
    Feb 3, 2011, 6:34 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #33

Hmmmm... are you planning to knit a pendleton sweater?

Nice find on the other stuff!

I feel your pain financially, if I didn't have to get my car fixed I would be The Dude
    From
    Aachen, Germany
    Feb 4, 2011, 1:54 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #34

Gus is a member here, you can shoot him a mail
    Feb 5, 2011, 11:37 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #35

I just saw this thread cause a member told me over Ebay, I have those checkbooks for sale on Ebay still.

Great Thread BTW, here in Argentina they sell on the street those plastic translucent sandals that the dude uses, I will get one some day and bring pics to the thread.

Cya

Gus
  11. Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Feb 10, 2011, 12:54 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #36

Folks, great topic....! I just found a sweater on Ebay for a "buy it now" of $99. They said it was a size large but it was tagged as a medium in the pictures. I am pretty sure I can wear a medium as I think they run a little big and I'm kinda in between a medium and a large. I've been looking a long time and I thought I'd have to pay through the nose for one of these as I have been watching them go for $250 to $500. I watched the movie again last month with my sons (age 18 and 20) and now they are Lebowski fans...! Here's the sellers pics from Ebay. Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeans051.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	44917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeans064.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	44918  
    From
    Southern California
    Feb 10, 2011, 8:09 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #37

cmaher55 said: View Post
    I just found a sweater on Ebay for a "buy it now" of $99.

GREAT deal! Very jealous.
  13. Larry Young is offline Larry Young
    Feb 10, 2011, 10:38 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #38

They've discontinued those Otomix, so now's the time to get them if you want them.
  14. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    From
    Texas
    Feb 10, 2011, 11:32 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #39

I own a vintage Pendleton Dude sweater, and the ring zipper pull is made by a company named Talon, not YKK. It's says Talon right on it, and there's also a small T on the ring itself where it attaches to the zipper. Hope this helps!

If the Pendleton Company, which is still in business, ever started making these sweaters again, they'd make a fortune!
  15. Larry Young is offline Larry Young
    Feb 10, 2011, 12:06 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #40

Jaintly said: View Post
    I own a vintage Pendleton Dude sweater, and the ring zipper pull is made by a company named Talon, not YKK.
    They used at least two company's zippers, then, 'cause my vintage is a YKK:

16. Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Feb 10, 2011, 7:58 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #41

I think that might be the case that they had multiple suppliers of similar zippers and "vintage" could be either one. I'll do some more research and see what I can find. On a side note I was able to get a size large Lebowski sweater on the Ebay for not too bad a price.... I'll give the "medium" to my 20 year old son who's a film buff as it will fit him perfectly at 135 lbs. I'm 165 lbs and 5'9" and the medium just fits me but I could use an inch more in the shoulders and under arms.... How about that, father-son Lebowski sweaters...? I wonder if anybody will notice if we wear them out together....? Regards
    Feb 11, 2011, 10:35 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #42

Welp, back with some updates.

I got those shorts I ordered and proceeded to take a seam ripper to the pockets, and I must say, they ended up very dudeish.

I also spent a couple of hours scouring ebay, looking under "weight lifter pants" "parachute pants" and finally "pajama pants" and I stumbled upon a a pair that are about as close as I'm gonna come to the pants that the dude wears in the Jackie Treehorn scenes and others. These are the comfiest pajama pants I have ever owned, I can see why The Dude wore them. Now to hit them with just a dash of purple RIT.

Yarnageddon! I went and scoured Jo-Ann Fabrics, A. C. Moore and Michaels to find the right colors and quantities of yarn that I needed for the sweater, I also picked up the circular knitting needles that are required. And when I casually asked my dear old grandmother if she'd knit me a sweater I'd found a pattern for, she was delighted at the prospect! Yep, everything is coming up daisies right now.

I am absolutely loving the wealth of information that is pouring into this thread, thanks guys! I'm really enjoying seeing everyone's Dude costumes!

And cmaher55, I was considering picking up that buy it now sweater, but now I'm glad I didn't, seeing as I require at the least a large, and the medium would've been too small for me.
    Last edited by CrowTeeRobot; Feb 12, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
  18. Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Feb 13, 2011, 5:45 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #43

Hey CrowTeeRobot, great finds on the ebay for the pants and shorts. I actually remember wearing pants like that back in the late 70's and early 80's.... As for the yarn keep us posted on your Dude project sweater. Here's a few people who knitted their own.... Regards

My Knitting Basket: my Dude sweater, finally finished!

east side bride: Lebowski sweaters are hot

Lotta Strands in Old Duder’s Sweater | The Dudespaper
  19. Member Since
    Jun 2000
    From
    Tampa Bay area, Florida
    Feb 15, 2011, 7:25 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #44

CrowTeeRobot, great job on what you've put together so far. Good luck on knitting the Pendleton, I'm sure we all anxiously await progrees pics.

Can you share a link for purchasing the plaid Wrangler shorts you found? They look very close, and I'd like to get a pair for the Lebowski Fest here in Tampa near the end of the month.

Thanks!

Art
    'Jon8712'
    Feb 15, 2011, 4:09 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #45

Jon8712 said: View Post
    CrowTeeRobot, great job on what you've put together so far. Good luck on knitting the Pendleton, I'm sure we all anxiously await progrees pics.

Can you share a link for purchasing the plaid Wrangler shorts you found? They look very close, and I'd like to get a pair for the Lebowski Fest here in Tampa near the end of the month.

Thanks!

Art
    'Jon8712'
    Actually, I found them on ebay by doing a search for "plaid shorts."
    You can actually look for specifics regarding your waist size and general sizes like L XL, etc. That's how I managed to track down a pair for myself, sorry I can't be of more help.

And by the way, the brand of the pajama pants was Nautica, in case anyone was wondering.

I'm gonna take drive up to my Grandmother's house in the next week to drop off all the knitting supplies for her, so I'll keep you posted on where the sweater is at.

I'm thinking about going out to the Columbus Lebowski Fest, seeing as my sister lives out there, and hopefully have at least one of the outfits done by then.
  21. Member Since
    Jun 2000
    From
    Tampa Bay area, Florida
    Feb 16, 2011, 1:53 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #46

Thanks, Luke. I'll try eBay, as I'd like to find the specific plaid-patterned Wrangler shorts like you purchased. (I tried Google/Froogle searches and Wrangler.com with no luck, so I though you might have purchased them from a specific online retailer.) I might look into the Nautica 'training' pants, too, while I'm at it.

Maybe we'll post some photos after the Tampa fest (my special lady friend will be dressed as 'robe' maude and 'Valkyrie' Maude). I was told recently that there are photos online of me as the Dude and a friend as Walter from DragonCon '10, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Thanks again!

Art
    'Jon8712'
    Feb 16, 2011, 5:07 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #47

This you guys? If so, extremely well done.

I ordered a pair of those Otomix shoes in white (13 was one of last sizes in stock. Whew!) Thanks for the heads up, Larry.

I think I might have to put a hold on my Lebowski related purchases for the moment so my bank account can recover.
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Feb 16, 2011, 5:47 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #48

^That is an AWESOME pic. Those dudes nailed the look.
  24. Member Since
    Jun 2000
    From
    Tampa Bay area, Florida
    Feb 17, 2011, 8:54 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #49

CrowTeeRobot said: View Post
    This you guys? If so, extremely well done.
    No, I wish! Those guys looked like they walked out of the movie into real life. They also were in the Saturday morning parade. I did a quick google search for pics of my friend and me, and here we are:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4147/...9227f1cb96.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/...f7743aea36.jpg

Not the greatest (I hate the wig I had!!), but a valiant effort nonetheless. Looking forward to 'Dude-ing'-up next weekend.

Art
    'Jon8712'
    Feb 17, 2011, 9:20 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #50

Walter looks dead on, man. And the Dude doesn't look very bad at all, the only thing that really threw me was the beard on the chin, maybe use some crepe hair and liquid latex next time, I did a little test run with a fake Brian Blessed beard made out of crepe hair and liquid latex, and it came out great.