Best Sticky Tape?

Bradester

So I might be building 2 more Captain shields. Ok I already did, but I need to attach the stars. :)

On my first shield, which I can no longer use because Stan Lee signed it (awesome), I used the 3M Outdoor Mounting Tape to attach the star to the shield. It worked great, but I think I want to find something a little thinner that's not a foam tape.

Ideas? Perhaps a double-sided carpet tape for a 3M Outdoor alternative? My stars are made from aluminum signs so they are too thin to pop-rivet I think.

Why tape? just use JB weld glue, thats what most use trust me you won;t have any problems.
it's heavy duty stuff

Gerardo

Why tape? just use JB weld glue,

Gerardo

Oooo....they make a glue??? Will it work over the blue paint that's already on the shield? My only reservation is it seeping out the sides of the star and messing up the paint.

Last edited:
Just use acetone and remove paint where glue will make contact with shield, you don't need to lay the glue, just spot glue, meaning you apply little drops of glues in center os specifis areas so when parts make contac glue will spread around and will be safe to not squeeze out the edges, you don't need to put alot, a little goes a long way. Here's a photos, imagine aall those little red dots is glue drops. you can see my shield build at link below, as you can see it's perfectly flush everywhere with zero gaps, the trick is to slightly pre bend the star's arms so all 5 tips touch the shield, then I placed 25lbs weghts on the star, note! not in direct contact with star, I place the weights on to a plastic round tupperware cap so the edge of the plastic cap touches in specific areas of the Star so it's nice aflush everywere.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/my-captain-america-shield-build-finished-176190/

GFollano

Last edited:
I have a lot of luck with E6000 or Zap-a-Gap if your in a rush.

E6000 is almost like a Gel and holds pretty much anything together. It won't run either. Plus its rubbery so if you ever need to remove it you could. Set time is about 12 hours though so its a glue and leave overnight situation. I did both Stormtroopers I did with this and over a year later I haven't had to reglue anything (even took 110 degree Texas heat!)
They sell this everywhere including Walmart.

Zap-a-Gap is more of a super glue. It just seems to work really well and is fairly fast drying.
You can get this at hobby shops that sell remote controlled cars and planes usually.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back