Battle Damage/Scarred and Weathered TASM (WIP) WonderCon pictures added 4/1/13

El Fett

Sr Member
So I figured its time to bring my weathered version to its own thread so I can post my updates here instead of in my INT thread in the Junkyard. It's also an opportunity to cut down my INT thread down to point instead of making everyone read through my whole backstory there LOL. So if you already saw my reason I want to make a weathered version, you can go ahead and skip over this first portion.

***Moved over from my INT thread:

Here's the story...(I'll try to keep it short):

Most people on here already know I own the first original 100% finished MCL34N suit. And even though i love it, And I mean I LOVE IT, I've been wanting to attempt a battle damaged TASM for a while now...I mean its been on my mind but I hadn't had the finances nor the time to actually make it happen. So to put my mind at ease I bought myself one of these guys:

406070_10151182808151114_2123577758_n.jpg

and then I painted it and modified into the battle damage version so now it looks like so:

20130119_112533.jpg

20130119_112434.jpg

Instead of putting my mind at ease, now I was REALLY sure I WANTED a battle damage version...especially since that's what you see through most of the movie. Now I would not dare "damage" my MCL34N suit...So I was lucky enough to score a Sonjou print locally in a trade (both Sonjou and the original buyer are aware). And with some hesitation I started the puffy painting process.

You've probably already seen all the puff paint pictures on my other thread so I'll leave you with a little video I just made of the iridescent back spider instead :)

Pardon the big gap on the middle as the print is not yet sewn. I'm hoping to get to the airbrushing and sewing stage soon as I'm almost done with the red HC. I'm only doing the red areas/webs and spiders for this version.

Last edited:
Re: Battle damage/heavy weathered tasm (wip)

Man Fett I can't wait to see what you do with this! Sub'd and watching with VERY much interest indeed!

-Cubone

this is gonna be sweet, love the look of the weathered tasm suit. i will be following this, and the spider looks awesome!! how?

iridescent paint looks friggin sweet! Doing the red honeycomb with it would be pretty cool, but likely overkill with the "glowy" effect. Still wouldn't mind seeing it done though!

Update: Almost done with the suit's puffy areas. Webs are done and red HC is about 90% laid in. Just missing the rest of the front spider and part of the right boot and the left boot and that's it. Next up is the airbrushing and then on to sew. At that time I'll start to work on the shoes.

20130129_090109.jpg

20130130_230857.jpg

I'm excited to see how this thing turns out :)

*sniffles*...I see a field of perfectly painted puff paint honeycombs..and it's beautiful :p

Can't wait to see what the next step looks like!

-Cubone

*sniffles*...I see a field of perfectly painted puff paint honeycombs..and it's beautiful :p

Can't wait to see what the next step looks like!

-Cubone

Thanks Cubone! It's funny you say fields LOL. I called this pic "the red sea"

20130130_231029.jpg

Last edited:

Great job man, looking forward to seeing a finished battle damaged costume, really nice twist!

Looking really clean. I wanted to puff mine before getting sewn, but my seamstress said it will be harder for her, so I have to do it after now :/

Last edited:

Looking really clean. I wanted to puff mine before getting sewn, but my seamstress said it will be harder for her, so I have to do it after now :/

As long as you stay away from the seamlines there really shouldn't be any problem bluenyte. Maybe explain that to her?

So far, excellent but I do recommend wearing a sweat catching garment underneath. The drier you stay, the better. I had to redo my armpits after the premiere events due to the sweat and friction weakening the hc under the arms. Had no problem anywhere else nor since then.

I was thinking of doing that but since she's a friend and is almost charging me nothing I figure it might be best to just have her do it the way she deems easiest...but I remember seeing one thread where a guy made a mannequin based off his body with duct tape. That might make it not so bad...I hope...

Happy to report my partial puffy job is now complete and the suit is now ready for sewing and in the very capable hands of my good friend MCL34N who thankfully accepted the job as a favor to me. He will usually not sew suits because he's hella busy with plenty of other various projects but we're trying something different with this suit and he's the perfect guy to put it together. Excited to see how this comes out!

Quick disclaimer: Please don't PM MCL34N about sewing your suit unless he offers this himself down the line. His inbox is saturated enough as it is and he would kill me if people start hitting him up for sewing on top of everything else! LOL.

That weathered model looks great! Really exited to see your progress with it

I just got an exciting update from MCL34N. He sent me an image of my sewn Sonjou mask on his recently completed V2 shell with V2 magnetic frames.

photo.jpg

I can't wait til the whole thing is sewn and I can start airbrushing. Very excited to see how this battle damage version comes out. I'm also searching around for materials to re-create the webbing effect from when he pours web on his right leg after its been shot. Does anyone have a nice screen grab of that?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back