Batbassi's 2012 Halloween Costume Entry

batbassi

So I decided I would be Batman for halloween this year. I prefer the Batman Begins suit but didn't know how I could possibly pull off making my own. I chose the Dark Knight suit because I felt that I could make the various armor pieces in foam, using what I have learned here on the site from all the other foam build posts.

I bought various types of foam to see what would work best when sprayed with plasti dip. I bought garage floor stress mats and foamies from a hobby store. Then I just started cutting, heating and plasti dipping and ended up with a suit that I am about 85% happy with.

The only pieces purchased were the cowl, boots and gloves. I also bought the rubies belt and repainted it.

I started by making a duct tape mannequin with a little help from my wife and kids. I found some good videos on you tube on how to do this. I then used a black undersuit I had purchased years ago to wear under Stormtrooper armor to cover the duct tape just so I could get a general idea how everything would look on black.

I then started gathering photos from the internet and magazines. I found a floor foam at Home Depot that had a good texture in which I could emulate the carbon fiber part of the suit. I was initially going to use the back side of this foam for the black parts but it was too thick. I found foamies in two thicknesses that worked well and held the plasti dip.

For some reason, I cannot attach photos here that I had already used for my build thread under "Semi Screen Accurate Foam TDK Suit". And I am not sure how to link to that thread here.

I used the wood burning tool to cut a nice beveled edge and then finished the cut with an exacto knife. I ended up redoing the stomach pieces in the foamies. This is the floor mat I bought in a roll from Big Lots but it didn't look good once plasti dipped. I also made the neck. I essentially used tacky glue and superglue to hold the pieces in place on the mesh.

I purchased mesh fabric here from DI Studios and bought a jumpsuit pattern online. The jump suit pattern was just a starting point. I ended up doing some major tailoring to make it fit tight enough. Maybe too tight, I can't sit in the suit.

I held off doing the chest piece toward the end as I figured it would be the most visible and I wanted the benefit of the experience of working on the other pieces first.

A lot of trial and error here. But since the foam is so cheap and everything on the suit is made of same pieces, I would just throw away what didn't look good.

The neck was made with the 6mm foam which ended up being too thick. I felt like I was wearing a next brace. The chest piece here was too small. I ended up putting on a t shirt and sketched out the general measurements in the mirror.

I found a nice micro suede material at JoAnns and a cape pattern in the archives. I made the micro suede cape but I didn't like that you could see the excess material at the seams of the panels on the inside so I lined it with a light weight material. The cape came out really well and is not too heavy.

I coated the carbon fiber parts with a Matt finish Mod Podge to try to get that plastic coated look. I "skinned" the chest with the thinner foamies.

Sweet! When I saw your first full pic on the mannequin, I was scratching my chin a bit wondering how it would work. The armor pieces looked odd against the jumpsuit. But then I saw the test fitting pic, and wow, what a difference having a live person inside makes! Kudos, mate! Looking forward to more pics!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back