Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Sep 25, 2011, 7:51 PM - Barney Fife Deputy Hat #1

Hey everyone. I am starting a barney fife costume. So far I have found the patch and 2 great badges. This seems to be the closest shirt I could find.

Long Sleeve Sheriff Shirt Class A Uniforms & Accessories Warehouse - Security Uniforms, Law Enforcement Badges, Lightbars

I am primarily still trying to find the same style deputy hat that he wears in tan/khaki. I keep finding ones that are only in available in black or navy blue.

Does anyone know where I might could find that style hat?

Thanks!

Carey
    From
    Planet Perth
    Sep 25, 2011, 7:57 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #2

Wrong section dude..
  3. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Sep 25, 2011, 7:59 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #3

sorry..What section should it be in since I can't post in WTB?

Here is another good picture I found for the hat/shirt.
  4. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Sep 25, 2011, 9:07 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #4

found this one on ebay. It's pretty close.

Vintage Official Boy Scout Uniform Shirt Tan Medium 10 - 12 Mint | eBay

Also found a hat that might work. Looks like you would need to remove that leather stuff from the bill and cover it in black, but it's close.

MENS COTTON YACHT CAPTAIN SAILOR BOAT HAT KHAKI MEDIUM | eBay
  5. RPF Premium Member Scott Graham's Avatar
    Sep 25, 2011, 9:34 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #5

Not many costume guys will see your post in the studio scale section. How about posting it in the replica costumes section?
  6. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Sep 26, 2011, 1:10 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #6

Thank you for the suggestion Scott. Will do and thank you ryan for the links.
  7. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Sep 26, 2011, 4:32 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #7

Barney's cap looks very similar to a WWII "Crusher" cap which came with either a brown or black visor: I found this replica that might help:

Reproduction 50 Mission Crush Cap (Tan)

His belt looks to be a Bucheimer black leather police holster and there's one on ebay now: Vintage Bucheimer Black Leather Police Holster & Belt | eBay

The badge for the hat and uniform can be purchased at Blackington's: http://www.blackinton.com/home/produ...bmit=Get+Price

http://www.blackinton.com/home/produ...bmit=Get+Price

Good luck!
    Last edited by RangerAndy; Sep 26, 2011 at 4:46 PM.
    From
    Tinsel Town
    Sep 27, 2011, 1:13 AM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #8

I have no advice, but fully support this costume. Barney was da' man!
    From
    North Carolina
    Sep 27, 2011, 3:07 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #9

Don't know if this will help or not, but I live in North Carolina and about an hour away is a small town called Mt. Airy. It is supposedly the town that they modeled Mayberry/Mt. Pilot after. So the whole town now is a Mayberry 'tribute/tourist gimmick' town. There are numerous gift shops along the main drag selling gift items with Barney, Andy and Mayberry themes. You might find a hat there. Just try a Google search. Hell, as small as it is, you could probably call the town hall and ask them,
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Oct 3, 2011, 8:49 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #10

I have sourced most of the pieces for the costume. Here is a list if anyone is interested.

- Barney Fife Hat
    I found a guy named Greg who creates replica police hats like the one worn by barney fife. Notice the tan elastic band around the hat matches the hat barney wore. Unfortunately he can no longer find a source for the tan elastic to match the fabric and is currently using black elastic. He tells me he is looking for a new source. He also includes the Deputy patch that goes on the shirt with a hat order. PM me if you are interested.

- Shirt and Pants
    The closest match I could find were 5.11 Tactical Class A or B Uniform Pants and long sleeve shirt. The color is called "silver tan". Sadly the color has been discontinued but you can still find the shirt and pants on ebay and from a few vendors online. Normal Khaki pants will not work for the costume because you need an extra wide belt loop for the utility belt. Pants also come unhemmed so you only need to find the correct waist size. The shirt also has a spot made specifically to place the badge.

The pants/shirt do not need to be exactly the same color as the hat.

- Badges

As RangerAndy pointed out Blackington makes great badges for the chest and hat. Below are links to the badges. The badges are Nickel.

If you are pressed for time or cannot locate a blackington vendor nearby there is also a vendor that has pre-purchased customized blackington badges called starpacker badges.

Here is a pic of my badges.

This pic makes them look a little bronze but they are both nickel.

I will update the thread with information about his
    - Belt, Utility Belt and Accessories and Holster soon.
    From
    Tinsel Town
    Oct 4, 2011, 12:33 AM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #11

Looks great -- congrats!
  12. Member Since
    Sep 2011
    Oct 4, 2011, 1:04 AM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #12

cdrake said: View Post
    - Shirt and Pants

The closest match I could find were 5.11 Tactical Class A or B Uniform Pants and long sleeve shirt. The color is called "silver tan". Sadly the color has been discontinued but you can still find the shirt and pants on ebay and from a few vendors online. Normal Khaki pants will not work for the costume because you need an extra wide belt loop for the utility belt. Pants also come unhemmed so you only need to find the correct waist size. The shirt also has a spot made specifically to place the badge.

The pants/shirt do not need to be exactly the same color as the hat.
    I'm glad you found a suitable hat. I looked for one at several uniform hat retailers, but couldn't find one. I would like to know where you found one.

As for the shirts, I don't think you need to go with 5.11 shirts, but the one you've found looks pretty good. Silver Tan is a pretty popular color and I think most uniform companies like Blauer, Fetchheimer, and Elbeco produce shirts and pants in that color. One thing I noticed about Barney's shirt is that it doesn't have scalloped pocket flaps or military creases, while most uniform shirts do. Barney's shirt, like the 5.11 shirt, has pointed pocket flaps.

One thing you don't have listed, but sort of mentioned when referring to the pants was a duty belt. You can wear regular khaki pants since the duty belt is attaced to the underbelt with belt keepers, and not actually threaded throught the belt loops. Of course, uniform pants usually have more robust belt loops that are designed to carry the additional weight of a duty belt.

The duty belt Barney wears appears to be a standard black leather belt with a basketweave pattern. I he carried a Colt Official Police revolver in a swivel holster. While he usually carried his "Barney bullet" in his pocket, I think he did have pouches for bullets/speedloaders and a handcuff case.
  13. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Oct 4, 2011, 3:02 AM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #13

DutyPro Long Sleeve Polyester Solid Men's Shirt - SH1434

I get my uniforms for work from Gall's and sure enough they still sell silver tan.
  14. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Oct 4, 2011, 3:04 AM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #14

As for the hat, give me some time and I might be able to find you one.
  15. Member Since
    Jun 2011
    Oct 4, 2011, 3:49 AM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #15

16. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Oct 5, 2011, 4:54 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #16

My Basketweave Bucheimer Holster arrived today. Matches perfectly with the basket weave belt I found.

Oct 5, 2011, 5:16 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #17

don't foget your bullet in your pocket...lol, costume is looking great. Can't wait to see it.
  18. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Oct 5, 2011, 5:18 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #18

haha! Anyone know how I can make or get a fake bullet like the one barney carried?
    From
    Tinsel Town
    Oct 6, 2011, 2:15 AM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #19

You'd probably have to paint it a more realistic color, but I'd bet there are some cheap toy gun sets out there that include plastic bullets.
    From
    Bluegrass State
    Oct 6, 2011, 7:53 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #20

Judging by the pics you posted I would say that Barney's hat has the ring removed from it. This will make it look more floppy. WWII pilots would do this so they could wear headphones over their cap.

You will need a Smith & Wesson K frame Model 10 (5 inch barrel IIRC) in .38 Special to go with that holster. They aren't hard to find. You can get a real one for around $450.
  21. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Oct 7, 2011, 11:28 AM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #21

I am thinking about getting this..
    The Armory - M1873 Antique Grey Black Grip Replica Revolver

Thoughts?

Also. A few parts for my belt arrived.. including handcuffs
  22. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Oct 8, 2011, 1:36 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #22

I've been watching episodes of the Andy Griffith show today and noticed that he wears a watch on his left arm and barney's patch is identical to andy's. They both say sheriff on them.
    From
    Bluegrass State
    Oct 8, 2011, 1:59 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #23

The link you posted is to a replica of a Colt Single Action Army replica. that is not the correct gun.

The type of gun belt you are looking for is called a "safety-speed". You can find them on ebay cheap. That small rectangular pouch you have is a glove pouch. Where modern police officers keep latex gloves they wear when dealing with "less then clean people."

No one in Mayberry has any diseases. So little use for such a precaution.

24. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Oct 26, 2011, 1:51 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #24

I drilled the hole for the badge today. Had to use black elastic for the time being.

25. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Oct 26, 2011, 2:00 PM - Re: Barney Fife Deputy Hat #25

Here is the patch.

I opted to use a patch that says Deputy to make it easier for people to recognize me as barney even though Barney's patch actually says sheriff on the show.