Back to the Future II: Marty's Jacket (the holy grail of BTTF props)

I found some of the foam kitchen mat today and bought a good deal of it. Will figure out everything once I actually decide to sit down and do this. I found some matting that would be a good start for around the trim where the black plastic is supposed to be but it was pure white and I wasn’t sure how to get it to be black without it being a pain in the butt. I will just keep my eyes open for the next while.

A video on how you did it would still be greatly appreciated.

Here's a few more pics now that I've got the back on. I've still got a bit more work to do on it, but it's close to being done.
IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

U2fan24, Your jacket looks great! Your modifications definitely make the b@tmj jacket look much more accurate. Great idea!

U2fan24, Your jacket looks great! Your modifications definitely make the b@tmj jacket look much more accurate. Great idea!

Thanks Ed. That means a lot coming from you!! Your jacket was actually what inspired me to make such a daring attempt. I realize I could have done a better job though and thought of a much simpler way to do it, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. so thanks for all your close up pics! They helped a lot!

U2fan24, your jacket looks amazing! I wouldn't have thought drawer liner would turn out so well, but it did! I'm very impressed. Looking forward to more pics and any info you want to share on how to do it.

I'm still sitting on the fence about whether or not I want to share ALL my info on this. It'd be nice to make some money somehow now that it's turned out so well. I might try to sell a PDF doccument or something... We'll see. For now... here's a link to a youtube video I just posted.YouTube - U2fan24's Channel

Thanks for the vid, i've watched your channel for quite a while now u2fan24. I'd really like to find out how to make the sleeves, i wanna make a 1/6 scaled jacket with actual waterproof material haha

Thanks for the vid, i've watched your channel for quite a while now u2fan24. I'd really like to find out how to make the sleeves, i wanna make a 1/6 scaled jacket with actual waterproof material haha

Well luckily those are the original sleeves from the B@M.J. jacket. So I didn't have to worry about making sleeves. But from what I can see, to get those folds it would be like a bunch donut shapes of fabric sewn together. Inner circle to inner circle, and outer circle with outer circle.

That video is awesome. I love the sound clip you put along with it hahaha. All very well done. I will eventually give it a go on my own with the materials I have found so far. If you ever have an explanation for this jacket or more pics I would love to see or read em.

Well luckily those are the original sleeves from the B@M.J. jacket. So I didn't have to worry about making sleeves. But from what I can see, to get those folds it would be like a bunch donut shapes of fabric sewn together. Inner circle to inner circle, and outer circle with outer circle.

Alright thanks i see how it works, i'm checkin detailed pics on the website too for reference

Ed,
that Jacket is just sic.
Great job dude!!!

Just a quick note about the Chinese jacket sold on ebay.
That was a project I put together a few years ago.
Those guys specialize in making replicas of Michael Jackson jackets.
I contacted them and sent them a ton of screen shots and asked them
to make the jackets for me, the deal was that they would make me a certain amount
of them and I would re-sell them on my website.
They ended up screwing me and just selling them themselves and by-passing me.
They have a real issue with sizing, I must have got 3 of them from them before they finally sent me one that fit!!!

l.jpg

All that said, Ed, I would gladly pay a premium for one of your jackets!
It's amazing!!!
Let me know, I would be a serious buyer!!!

75775_491310511778_717491778_6888145_4514269_n.jpg

Well I thought I would post my jacket seeing as everyone else was posting theirs. My jacket is actually the first prop replica I ever made, around 5 years ago. I wanted a mix between accuracy and wearability, I wanted to be able to wear it out and about. Its made of a cotton weave and the arms a blend of cotton polyester and nylon which gives it a sort've dull shine like rubber. The jacket is padded and very warm and comfortable to wear.

IMG_1375.jpg

Oh, the trainers are a pair of Nike Greco Supremes, a style of boxing trainer, they looked pretty close to the Air Mags.

IMG_1376.jpg

I'm planning on revisiting it and revamping it. i was never entirely happy with the cuffs. I didn't know what they had used on the real jacket so I improvised. What I ended up using was transmission belts from car engines. As you can see, I had to double them up.

IMG_1377.jpg

The control boxes were a couple of tiny project boxes I aquired. I now plan to put working buttons and the yellow LED in them, perhaps a hidden speaker using a Replica Props sound chip for the "Drying clothes ON!" and the "size adjusting...fit!" effects.

I've learnt a lot in the years I've been propping and feel I could do a much better job on the sleeve motor boxes and runners.

IMG_1378.jpg

so yeah, there's my jacket :D

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back