Arrrrrrr you willing to help? Amy Pond Pirate Costume

E-Wan

Sr Member
I'm hoping some of the POTC cosplayers will be able to help with this. I'm putting together Amy Pond's Pirate costume for my wife and I'm looking for a decent coat and hat.

For the coat, I'm thinking maybe the Costumebase Jack Sparrow coat, but the smallest it comes is a medium which might be a little big on her. Amy's looks pretty baggy too, so it might me okay, I just don't want it to look too huge! Wondering if anyone has any experience with these they can share.

The pirate hat should be reasonably simple, but most of the pirate hats I see on eBay look like ass. I'm hoping someone can recommend something half-decent.

piratepond.jpg

spotpromo12.jpg

Last edited:
Only Amy Pond could make pink tights look good with a pirate coat!
The coat looks like quite a heavy material, so is probably better than ebay quality. I have bought a tricorn hat off ebay, and yes, it is ass.
BTW, I love her boots!

The captain's coat was made out of the same type of material, looks like it could be fleece, but more likely a more generic low quality wool.

Costumebase has pretty good customer service, if you contact them they might be willing to make it in a custom size. Heck, you might also be able to ask about fabric options. It looks to me like it's just sewn up from something like the simplicity pattern. It doesn't really have any structure or much attention to detail. Probably a randomly selected piece of background wardrobe they rented.

Great stuff guys, thanks for all the help.

My problem right now is that I can't decide if I want to make it myself for accuracy's sake or go with off the shelf close-enoughs.

Great stuff guys, thanks for all the help.

My problem right now is that I can't decide if I want to make it myself for accuracy's sake or go with off the shelf close-enoughs.

That's a no brainer. If you plan on showing pictures HERE, then go for accuracy. If you plan is to have the lady wear it to an event where NOBODY will be able to tell the difference between "way off" and "dead on," I say save yourself some time and go OTS.

(and then keep your shame of making a non screen accurate costume to yourself) :)

Looks to me like it's made out of one of those polyester fleece blanket throws, you know, those that are kinda sponge-y feeling.....

If you're up for making one, the Simplicity ladies pirate coat pattern #3677 is a pretty good match.

simplicity-3677.jpg

I was going to say to mod the side seams where Simplicity uses gores, to mod those to pleats, but looking at the close up pic you posted of the Amy coat, that actually looks like a gore in the side seam instead of a pleat..........so all ya need is to do on this pattern basically is to redraw the buttons and buttonholes into a solid line of more buttons/buttonholes instead of the pairs.......

amy%20pond%20pirate%20coat.jpg

Buttons, something like 1" French Marine brass, ammonia aged......

Shylaah

You just need a felt pirate hat eBay is good or a fancydress shop. All you need is trimming you use for edging furniture/curtain and a couple of military buttons. Again you can buy these on eBay or in a Haberdashery shop. You could try my friends shop in the UK Deadeye Jacks Cabin - Uk's No 1 Pirate Shop Shame it's not needed for August/September time as I am making full size pirate hats after my summer break :) lol! If you need any more hat advice get in touch.

its pretty pricey but there's this one:
[EBAY LINK REMOVED]

and I did that costume and improvised with cheaper clothes. My jacket was actually black but it still looked okay :/
264541_1818601591101_1421987920_31541183_8191821_n.jpg

298005_1941110213740_1421987920_31696280_4796795_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I somehow completely missed this thread until now. What Ever happened with this?

On a side note, I would guess the fabric to be a slubby wool or linen. It's prbably also an older piece, so there's a lot of age in the fabric. Most definitely not a fleece. No designer in their right mind would hand a cutter some fleece to make a priate coat from.

>>>clip<<< I would guess the fabric to be a slubby wool or linen. It's prbably also an older piece, so there's a lot of age in the fabric. Most definitely not a fleece. No designer in their right mind would hand a cutter some fleece to make a priate coat from.

I don't think the Dr Who costumers used any period fabric on the Amy Pond coat. Zooming in on it, I can't see any weave. The surface appears to be brushed and the fabric rather thick and fluffy as the hem is not sharp at all. The edge of the cuff is very rounded and the buttonholes on the cuff sink way in.

The pocket flap looks like it might be some kind of felt, it appears to be a more compact fabric than the rest of the coat. I do not have the visual acuity to tell from a picture what a fabric definitely is or isn't, nor do I understand why a designer would arbitrarily exclude any one fabric for any one purpose. The coat might be some kind of lushy plushy modern wool, but I still think it looks like glacier fleece.

Shylaah

I don't think the Dr Who costumers used any period fabric on the Amy Pond coat. Zooming in on it, I can't see any weave. The surface appears to be brushed and the fabric rather thick and fluffy as the hem is not sharp at all. The edge of the cuff is very rounded and the buttonholes on the cuff sink way in.

The pocket flap looks like it might be some kind of felt, it appears to be a more compact fabric than the rest of the coat. I do not have the visual acuity to tell from a picture what a fabric definitely is or isn't, nor do I understand why a designer would arbitrarily exclude any one fabric for any one purpose. The coat might be some kind of lushy plushy modern wool, but I still think it looks like glacier fleece.

Shylaah

I would doubt it was fleece. It doesn't look like fleece. It looks like every old, worn, heavy natural fiber coat in my 50 year old costume stock at work. Basically I'm saying it's a stock piece.

The hem isn't an accurate gauge of the fabric weight, as it may be the victim of a quick and dirty or even temporary alteration. Look at the side seam. It has a nice sharp press to it. You wouldn't get that with fleece. The draping is also not indicative of fleece. Fleece may be thicker, but it has a softer hand.

And let me point out that Designers never ARBITRARILY exclude anything. I would never use fleece on an actor because it doesn't breathe, it would get hot and uncomfortable for the actor, and generally doesn't look good as a structured garment. Most of us disregard the vast majority of synthetic fabrics for stage and screen use because of these same reasons.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back