This was a special project I got to work on for Dragon*Con for a long-time client. Of all the bodysuits I've made, this was hands down the most difficult. Here are some pictures.
Here is the master pattern (before everything got cut out and had seam allowances added). This is actually the second draft of the pattern. The first one was transferred onto some junk fabric for mockup purposes, which made me realize a few height adjustments needed to be made at the torso and legs. The shaded areas are where the hexagon print fabric go. The blank spots are either for a stretchy matte finish vinyl, or leather straps.
Here are my pattern pieces (cut out with SA's added) laid out on my custom print fabric. The pattern design was done in photoshop by my client, and we had it printed by Spoonflower on cotton jersey. Getting a true black wasn't possible, but that worked out nicely since the matte finish vinyl I had chosen was more of a smokey grey. Each pattern piece has a grainline marked on it so I could make sure the hexagons pointed the same direction on all the pieces. In all, I used approximately 1.5 yards of the hexagon print.
Here are the first pieces coming together. Determining the order in which things were sewn together was the biggest challenge in making the suit.
And here is the bodysuit on a mannequin. You can also see some test lapel pieces here. I had a little concern here as the boobs looked really flat, which was confirmed during the first fitting on my client. I ended up scrapping these boob pieces entirely and replacing them with a two-part boob cup. This gave my client a lot more shape and significantly reduced the discomfort/compression caused by the first piece.
Here is a closeup of the top part of the bodysuit.
And a closeup of the gloves (silver knuckle pieces made by client). The gloves were a great find on eBay. I cut a slit in the back, added a zipper, and stitched the hexagon fabric to the front. The knuckle pieces are glued on with E6000.
Here is a side shot of the finished outfit.
Here is a front view of the finished outfit.
My favorite part of the whole project was actually the cowl...but mostly because I put rhinestones on the kitty charm =)
Thanks for looking!