APOLLO A7L space suit build-any help would be appreciated!

Darth 123

Hi!

For my next project I really want to build the A7L Apollo space suit (Apollo 11 style)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can´t spent thousands on a finished replica so I have to make one by my own instead.

I only see problems on the helmet, the boots and the hose connections on the suit.

My plan is to use two cotton coveralls (white on the outside and blue on the inside), sew them together to get a nice base. And later modify them with new pockets, and other details...

I´ll have to remove the front zippers and put a new one at the back.

Some time ago there was a great Blog where someone showed his build of a really accurate suit- however this doesn´t seem to exist anymore unfortunately.

I really would appreciate any tips & tricks (How to´s) for this project...The suit doesn´t need to be 100% accurate but I want to have a nice display piece at the end.

Thanks very much for your help!

Last edited:
This looks like a fun project- something I might want to try eventually. I think white cotton is a good way to go. You'll need a lot of padding to give it the required bulk (The real thing had mechanical joints and all sorts of cables inside so the astronauts could move the suit even when it was pressurized- to overcome the 'Michellin Man effect') You could probably buy clear acrylic domes to make the helmet and cover them, but I have no idea how to face the gold coating (and be able to see out...)

Too bad you didn't post this about three months ago. I went to Kennedy Space Center and I could have gotten some reference photos for you.

wow! Thank you so much! It´ll help me a lot!
Just orderd my patches. Can´t wait to start. Ill buy the snap buttons & the white velcro tomorrow.

@felgacarb: Yes-that´s a good idea with the half acrylic globe. Will see where I can order one. Maybe it is possible to cover the outside of the acrylic glas with a see-through foil.

I´m curious of the backside of the helmet. I thought to get a 16" bowl, cut it to 1/2 and screw the acrylic glass on and cover it with white fabric.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
There's really no shortage at all of serious reference out there on the web. PM me and I'll be happy to mail you a thumb drive with my suit reference on it.

I collected over 800 pictures. I started with an older version of a replica suit like this:
Deluxe Replica Apollo Space Suit Complete w/Accessories | eBay

and spent months building the shoulder pen pockets, the leg pockets, and all the other details that weren't originally on it. Their gloves were simple blue kitchen gloves with a cotton gauntlet on it and a white fingerless knit glove over top of it. Looked like crap. I added the gray material you see here (used the bootie gray material from Tyvek coveralls) and came up with a result I'm really proud of. All the labeling was printed on iron-on inkjet transfers that I sewed on. The cuff checklist is entirely accurate (every page of each mission cuff-checklist is available online, including the ones with playboy playmates jokingly added).

But really, everything EVERYTHING is out there. Space nerds (of which I am one) obsessively collect every single piece of info they can get, and since your tax dollars paid for all of it, much of it isn't hard to find.

Here's a pic of me in the final suit.

A little sad that the RPF space suit expert (IMO) got him self banned. If he was not i would have recommended Larry Young... Maybe you can find a couple of his thread about space suits.

Thanks-will check that out.

Just worked on the patches today.

To my surprising I was able to actually print them on cotton fabric. After they were printed I sprayed a clear coat over it to safe the paint.

Finally I had to fold the edges & hemm them.

BTW does anyone have an idea of what to use for the blue glove rubber finger tips?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back