Angelica Teach:The woman, the myth, the COSTUME thread

sparrowed

Angelica Teach's costume is definitely worthy of her own thread...Especially if she has more than one costume.
With a little arm twisting (Thanks Shylaah) I started this thread.

And here... we... go!
(oops wrong movie!)

BTW...I'm beginning to agree with the MYTH part of the thread title...I think the existence of this elusive paisly pattern availability is in fact a myth!! :cry

YAY! *does a little piratey jig in celebration*

But alas, it is incredibly disheartening to have to search for multiple hours for this paisley and not come across it yet. I did find something in a VERY similar pattern ( the hook and tail layout of the paisleys with some floral tossed in there ) but it's in a much more brown tone and I think it might make the whole overcoat look too...dull. There is, however, the option that UM suggested...I'm thinking about getting enough of it to tint one navy and then cut out the neutral toned paisleys and stick them on top. I'd rather not...but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm going to keep hunting probably until a couple months before the film...just so I have enough time to order the backup stuff. But I'm SO determined to find something closer!

Speaking of the paisley colours though...what do you guys see it as? I see the front panels as a dark navy or teal with gold pattern. Maybe I'm just crazy as some are saying black/gold...but the background just seems more light than the rest of her black pieces. Of course, it could just be the type of fabric but the blue/gold seems a bit more regal to me also. And boots...dark brown or black??

Sue, the lady who is going to make my waistcoat found a paisley (I think I already posted a pic of it) But to me the swatch looks brown.
28sygbt.jpg

I really like this one FOR SOME REASON, but its not even close to Angelica's and its in red. :(

You know, I was wondering that too! I was thinking the same thing about the background of the paisley print. In a couple photos, it does appear to be navy, but it could be the photo too.
2445vyv.jpg

I don't think it's teal tho.

BOOTS: Most definitely BLACK
Over at KTTC there is a boot link. I'll fetch it fer ye! :lol
Pirates N Plunder Online Store

CORSET: Fabric: What kind? Busk closure in front? Or lace up?

Shylaah has a great corset trim find!

CHEMISE:
I have this chemise, and thought it was right...

But after comparing the images of Angelica's, and my chemise, the sleeves are different! I'm not sure if I'll use it.

HAT: Another item that's hard to find!!

I found this one, but AGAIN its not quite right either!
w7hnq1.jpg

I sent this email out and the reply is as follows:
Bill can most likely reproduce that hat for you, but it isn't consistent with the mode of dress in the photograph, which seems to be a piratess impression. It would not be our C23. Reproducing the one in the photo would probably be around $150. For a true hat befitting a piratess impression, Bill suggests a crucible style of plus beaver with the addition of plumage and period buckles, for a cost of around $250-280.
link

COAT: Brown or Burgundy? Fabric...linen?

Last edited:
Goodness, I wish I had my pw/username for KTTC...I ALWAYS forget it. -_- Again with the boots, compared to what's actually black I think they look almost a dark brown...I'll probably wait a while to see some more official and clear pictures before getting them but these ones are PERFECT! ( minus one buckle! ) I'm thinking of the dark brown in that one...since it's so dark it's almost black-type dark brown. :)

Sue, the lady who is going to make my waistcoat found a paisley (I think I already posted a pic of it) But to me the swatch looks brown.
28sygbt.jpg

I've actually come across that same paisley fabric in navy/gold online a couple times! Maybe she's using it in the navy?

I'm fairly sure the base color for that paisley fabric is a dark green... Maybe this helps the search a bit :)

Nice thread ya got here Sparrowed!!

I have planned on going to World Premier in LA ever since POTC4 was officially on.
Have toyed much over ideas for an outfit to wear--something Jack-esque, because I figured at the time that Penelope Cruz's character would be more like Elizabeth. To my delight Angelica is a bit Bohemian and understatedly girlie!! Yeah, I like her outfit these first pictures we've been seeing! addendum

I don't want to do the exact SA outfit, just something -esque.
I'm very excited about all you've found so far and will try to help where I can, and where I can't, I'll be in your cheering section!!

I'm loving her hat, and that looks-like-some-kind-of-Jack-dangle earring she's wearing and the Stolen Ring!!!
The boots I don't think I can do. I'm too short to pull it off.....
I'm thinking maybe something like the
Pirate Barbie boots without the high heel....

Shylaah

Last edited:
Awesome you ladies are looking into this costume!

Hope I have a girl friend by then that will wear it. Or...Just a girlfriend. :lol :lol :lol

Aelynn! I've had those boots on my Watch list in eBay for sometme now and made a purchase yesterday. For some reason the size 8 in black came up at $29.00 rather than $49.99! SOLD! These boots are also good because of the low heel. First time my wifey wore her Lizzie Swann pirate boots she had them off in about 10 minutes and ended up wearing sneaker!

I had about 9 different boots both leather and faux leather but they all had POINTY toes. I found a set of boots that were spot on but now way was I paying $1200.00 for them!

Ramiel! Green you say? Hmmm! I need to go back and restudy those pics mate or maybe put in my green MH contacts?

This Waverly paisley kept popping up.

Close-up

More Colors

It comes in many different color combination, and while the lay, style and flow of the paisleys seems close, the background is too cluttered and not dark enough......maybe if ya painted around each one???

And hats!! Gotta have that HAT!!

Would something like this work?

musketeer%20hat.jpg

Okay, so no!!!
What kind of hat is it? A Zorro? hat it looks most like to me, but with the edges bound and the brim rolled up!? Are there any pictures of the crown of hers, from the top?

Shylaah

Shylaah! I have that fabric bookmarked too! It seems to be the right color combo, although I agree with aelynn000 that it may be navy?
The only other reservation I have re: this paisley pattern is (to me) it does looks a bit too flowery...???

Oh yeah CapnJackSavvy has some helpful pics regarding the hat...
I thought it was a gaucho style, he soon pointed out that a gaucho is not quite right.

Hey CapnJackSavvy...Will ye post yer hat pics here fer us??

Last edited:
IIIIIIIIIII have that paisley bookmarked too! hahahaha

The one I'm looking at right now is more of a navy background with gold paisleys...they're more slanty than upright but I think it's my favourite so far. I just love the colouring in it, mostly. It's exactly how I saw it when I first saw the pictures...with a little bit of everything! Little bit'o blue, little bit'o green, gold paisleys...though, smaller than I'd like. Overall I think it's the closest find yet.

There's also this one which is a lot higher in contrast if you want something bold...the paisleys are even smaller on it though. =\

And then there's this one which is a lot busier but I find it very regal and piratey...which is kind of an oxymoron but ... I like it anyways!

And I'm definitely going with a musketeer style hat. I ebay-ed the term and found quite a few that I like for great prices. They'll definitely need some adjustments but I'm planning on just softening the felt with water and then using some Stiffy to reshape it. I did that with a Barbossa hat back in the day and it worked great. :) I might also just put some wire under the trim of the brim to make life a bit easier but I'll decide that once I actually decide on a hat.

CJS, I KNOW! The listing in the actual list on E-bay says 39.99 ... then the auction page says 49.99 ... and now you're telling me they sell for 29.99!? I'm seriously thinking about going with the dark brown but that's something that I'll also wait to decide on until I see some more hi res pics...I'm so picky with non-matching blacks that I always see them as other colours instead of varying shades of black. XD

Last edited:
OMG! THOSE ARE FANTASTIC!! Great finds Aelynn00. I haven't really searched since the weekend, but I'll have all day tomorrow to goof off online! :lol
Are you going to buy the fabric, now? Or wait, and keep looking?

i've bookmarked'em...my favourite one is available at a few different places so i feel comfortable waiting on it for now. :) i'm still on a mission! though after HOURS of searching the paisley starts to look like swimming fish and make me want to puke...yes...i have been searching THAT long...

*sigh*

still goin'.

I'm home today and get to search...search...search!
I found this info about paisley so now I am searching Indian fabric
stores!!

Motifs

Paisley

The paisley motif originated in Kashmir in India. It is a fertility symbol based on the new shoot of a date palm. The motif is most well known for its use on Kashmiri shawls. The design found its way to England in the 1760s where copies of the original Kashmiri shawls were made in the Scottish weaving centre of Paisley. Hence the use of the Anglo-Saxon term paisley. In India the motif is known as kairy (mango) and buta (floral form) and in Kashmir it is kalanga or kalga.

Genuine Kashimiri shawls took 18 months to make and were made from the soft wool on the underbelly of goats. The Paisley shawls were made from wool and could be woven on hand looms in just two weeks. This made them much more affordable. The Industrial Revolution had a huge impact on production. From 1820 to 1860 thousands of shawls were produced. The last Paisley shawl was made in 1876.
The use of the paisley motif in furnishings is attributed to Napoleon's wife Josephine who had gowns, bedcovers and cushions made from the shawls. The French began making copies of the shawls and modified the design, adding long curling tips to the basic cone shape.
Arthur Liberty, an Englishman revived the popularity of the paisley design. It became recognised as the Liberty print and was used for home accessories. The paisley pattern is still popular today.

paisley_low.gif
paisley motif
paisfabric.gif
paisley printed fabric
Activity

The paisley motif was often used in Indian block printing. Draw your own version of the paisley motif and transfer the design to a potato to do your own block printing. You will need printing paste or you can try mixing 1 teaspoon of tumeric with 1 teaspoon of PVA glue for a real Indian flavour. You will need to iron the fabric to fix the paste to the fabric.
HSC Online

I won't be printing my own paisley...(well not yet anyways!) but it's interesting!

OK! Here we go again. Trying to compose my original post and link pictures I got timed out!

So I think that each paisley has a very distinct position on the material and are lined up in a vertical pattern (shoulder to legs) and are flipped in every other row. If we could find a HI RES image of one paisley we could have it printed on black fabric OR do the iron on method. I would be up to getting some custom made printed material if Angelica's out there would want to share in the cost.

So my second topic was regards to me not being a seamster but what do you think of my rough sketch for the waistcoat? I drew it with three pleats in the back on the left and right but now thinking maybe 4-6? Input please!

Front:
SCAN3203_002-1.jpg

Back:
SCAN3203_001-1.jpg

I just realized in the side view pic of Ms. Cruz there appears to be a seam under the ties just below her scapula (on the back) but I don't see it in other images.

Am I seeing things?

I have planned on going to World Premier in LA ever since POTC4 was officially on.

I don't want to do the exact SA outfit, just something -esque.
I'm very excited about all you've found so far and will try to help where I can, and where I can't, I'll be in your cheering section!!

I'm loving her hat, and that looks-like-some-kind-of-Jack-dangle earring she's wearing and the Stolen Ring!!!
The boots I don't think I can do. I'm too short to pull it off.....
I'm thinking maybe something like the Pirate Barbie boots without the high heel....

Shylaah

I am planning to go to the World Premier at Disneyland and hopefully the opening at the El Capitan as we did for AWE, which was amazing (one day, topped four days at Celebration 4).

My aim is to come up with something that will resemble Angelica's costume, but better, in areas that I can't replicate. For example I am going to have the hat made in leather (leather travels better than felt) and for the braid on the leather corset (from ebay), I have choosen a Renaissance Style Hand-Beaded Trim.

There has been a lot of discussion on the vest, however if you wear the jacket you can't even see the vest, so that will be my last priority.

With regards to the jacket, do the sleeves have the overly large cuffs?
The buttons on the jacket look like they have been covered with the same fabric as the jacket.

Also I noticed that the belt buckle is very much like the buckle for Jack's baldric.

OK! Here we go again. Trying to compose my original post and link pictures I got timed out!

So I think that each paisley has a very distinct position on the material and are lined up in a vertical pattern (shoulder to legs) and are flipped in every other row. If we could find a HI RES image of one paisley we could have it printed on black fabric OR do the iron on method. I would be up to getting some custom made printed material if Angelica's out there would want to share in the cost.

So my second topic was regards to me not being a seamster but what do you think of my rough sketch for the waistcoat? I drew it with three pleats in the back on the left and right but now thinking maybe 4-6? Input please!

Front:
SCAN3203_002-1.jpg

Back:
SCAN3203_001-1.jpg

I really like your sketches of the waistcoat, CJS! :thumbsup

As I said over at KTTC, re: Jack's vest...If I don't find the fabric by September, I'm going to have it printed here (per my seamstress)
However, I may have a solution for you- I know of a place online that
prints custom fabric in small amounts:
Check out the gallery: http://fabricondemand.com/Photo-Gallery/custom-fabric-photo-gallery.html
Design and Print Custom Fabric Designs on Demand

Now of course I'd really like to find the correct SA fabric, but if I can't then this will be my back up! :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back