The Amazing Spiderman 2 lenses work in progress

joelai009

Hi this is joelai009, I am doing this tutorial on how to make your own lenses.

First draw your template. I trace it and size it on my monitor. And then I use a light box to make the other side so the size is the same. Use card paper. Cut them down. And use double sided tape and tape them on a plastic sheet. Draw a face guide and make sure the position is right. Both of them need to line up. Fiberglass them. And use something heavy to hold the plastic sheet, and the space should be about the width of your head. So it will create the curve. I will show other steps later on. Feel free to ask me any questions. Have a nice day.

View attachment 145986

View attachment 145987

View attachment 145988

View attachment 145989

View attachment 145990

Last edited:
Re: The Amazing Spiderman 2014 lens tutorial

Great to see how you create these, loved your first TASM lenses and face shell!

The next step will be cutting off the white part and put mesh in there, so you will be able to see through the lenses. Fiberglass is very strong material. You can sand them polish them, and paint them.

okay, now i understand ;). can you tell me youre measurements of the eye lenses?

csavnw52.jpg

By the way at this stage is the best time to heat the lenses and bend them. Because after you cut out the white part. It will be too weak and you might break it if you bend it too hard. Heat it up with blow dryer and bend it. Have a cup of cold water ready. When you've reached the desire shape cool it down with cold water the shape will stay. But if you heat it up again, the shape will go back. The first picture I had it bent too much. But can be fixed easily. Cheers everyone.

I'm really liking the look and size of the ones in your last post.
Only thing I would say is I think the 'flicks' on the top of the frames are a bit too.........well, flicked, if that makes any sense.

I'm really liking the look and size of the ones in your last post.
Only thing I would say is I think the 'flicks' on the top of the frames are a bit too.........well, flicked, if that makes any sense.

They are not done yet. After the white part is cut off. I will put putty on them and add more thickness to them and shape them more and round off the edges to make them smooth like the movie. At this stage is just half way. And this time I am happy that I don't have to do the honeycomb with gold tint. I will be using real mesh that I bought long time ago with honeycomb. The visibility will be a lot better.

Awesome mate, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Hope you don't mind me pointing this out, you've probably noticed it already, but to me it seems as if the bottom of the frames have a kind of straight edge at one point. What do you think?

ff2dae9f045546bf979ce5e1d5fff02f_zpsff87f8e7.jpg

c9e7c1459c08f278a13301267ac7098a_zps0e6fc5fb.jpg

Again, sorry if I'm interfering.

Basicly, I did them from this picture. I trace them out directly from my computer monitor. So the shape should be the same. The bottom of the lenses you are talking about might be just the shadow. The top is too sharp that I know. I will round them off. At this point I need more and clear pictures to do it right. But thank you for the feedback. The lenses are not finished yet like I said. They will look a lot different than what you see now.

View attachment 146278

..did you use filling paste for the lens (to make the correct form)? only fiberglass would be very thin?
and where did you get the face shell?

After you are done with the fiberglass part. You just simple cut out the white part. And heat it up with blow dryer to make the paper come off. And apply putty or bondo on them. And more sanding of course to make the shape you want. I just uploaded some pictures. I think this is the best size. But I still have to wait for more pictures from the movie. The new 2014 lenses can be used with or with the faceshell. I will be offering faceshell for that soon. If anyone is interested. More update will be coming. I still have to finish the current order for the TASM 1.

View attachment 151896

View attachment 151897

View attachment 151898

View attachment 151899

View attachment 151900

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back