AKPRICE44's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

akprice44

Hi Everyone!

Here is my costume contest entry for the new member category:

Its the Captain America suit from the upcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron movie. I am completely new to cosplay and this is my first actual costume build! I made the entire costume by hand and used spy shots from when they were filming the movie (I live in Cleveland and was lucky enough to get to see some of the filming). I have started a thread to show the final suit along with a backtrack of the process that I took to create it. Since I had never sewn before, there was a steep learning curve along with A LOT of trial and error, but I am very proud of how it turned out! :)

The entire suit is made from scratch out of blue denim, red, brown, and blue leatherette, and heavy white cotton. I loosely based the beginnings of the patterns off of a slim-fitting button-up shirt and pair of pants and then modified, chopped, cut, and reattached from there.

As for the helmet and the hardware.. I made the helmet by making a few iterations of paper patterns and piecing them together with scotch tape, and once I had one that fit, I transferred the patterns to Worbla (first time working with it and I love it...just wish it wasn't so expensive!) and formed the helmet with a heat gun. I finished the helmet by using Bondo and filler primer before paint. For the belt buckles, I was able to find a belt at a thrift shop that had a buckle that I thought would look good with Cap's belt that I made. For the star and the two Avengers patches, I modeled them on Solidworks and then 3D printed them. After printing them, I cleaned up the Avengers patches to get rid of any evidence of it being printed and then painted them. The buckle for the shield straps is made out of acrylic and I laser cut patterns at a nearby college prototyping shop.

Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to make a custom shield and had to modify a store-bought one BUT I look forward to making a metal shield in the near future!

For the sake of not duplicating threads, here is a link to my thread that I am using to show the approach I took to making the suit. http://www.therpf.com/f78/captain-a...-build-2014-a-227999/?highlight=age+of+ultron

entry1.jpgentry4.jpgentry3.jpgentry2.jpgentry6.jpgentry5.jpgwithsign.jpg

Here are a few detail shots of the gloves, straps, belt, and helmet:

belt4rpf.jpgbelt1rpf.jpgbelt2rpf.jpgbelt3rpf.jpg
straps2rpf.jpggloves1rpf.jpgstraps1rpf.jpg

Here are a few in-progress photos from my costume build:

Photo Sep 29, 12 31 18 PM.jpginprogress2.jpginprogress3.jpg
helmetrpf.jpghelmet2rpf.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back