I've been talking about this for well over a year and with the approach of Celebration 5 coming this summer, I decided I needed to revisit this.
Back in 2008, I had made an Ahsoka costume for my daughter to wear in a local Halloween parade with our group in the 501st New England Garrison. It looked pretty good but the headpiece lacked the depth I wanted and was just too heavy for her to wear. It was made with Crayola air dry clay over a chicken wire frame and finished off with latex caulking. She enjoyed portraying the character but didn't like wearing the headpiece because it was so uncomfortable. After being prodded several times to sculpt one and mold it in latex or memory foam, I've finally decided to pick the project back up again.
First stab at the costume in 2008:
My first attempt back at it was this past fall using pink foam for the base of the headpiece. For a few weeks, I thought about just carving it out of the foam itself but it just lacked the correct feel and shape. Foam alone was just too stiff. It needs to be softer.
Since that was an utter and complete failure I decided to start sculpting a base out of clay that I'd eventually pull latex or Dragon Skin casts of. I'm MUCH happier with the dimensions of this version and how it's coming out.
Here's a look at the first night's rough:
Here's where it stands now:
Here's a 360 degree view of the sculp that I put up on Youtube: