3 Year Old Buzz Lightyear

pitchforknumb

Sr Member
Hello all. Long time lurker, first time thread starter-er. I recently started my first pep build for my sons halloween costume of Buzz Lightyear. I got the pep files here http://www.therpf.com/f24/buzz-lightyear-pep-files-135200/. Big thanks to EyeofSauron and pepmaster. I will be doing the chest the regular fiberglass and bondo way, and the arm and leg armour will be done in foam.

Starting first coats of bondo
15869-front.jpg

I had to removed the back jet-pack portion of the chest after my brilliant idea of filling it with expanding foam went bad. I will be re-pepping that then fiberglass it before I re-attach it to the suit.
15866-side.jpg

Here's the first coat of filler primer
15864-first-coat.jpg

I wanted to do a test fit on my son to make sure the measurements still held up, but unfortunately his shoulders were to wide to fit through the bottom, so I had to cut it in half.
15867-half.jpg

Luckily everything seems to fit properly and I'll be re-attaching the two halves with magnets and a bracket system. Later added some more beauty coats to try and get everything as smooth as possible.
15868-reapply.jpg

The plan is to finish the suit with flashing lights where the normal buttons on the suit are, and I'm hoping I can make some sort of system to have the wings pop-out with the press of a button. I will be foregoing the dome part of the costume as I feel it wouldn't add much, and would be to much of a hassle to try and find that. I hope to have more updates soonish.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Means a lot.
Got a little more work done last night. The front half is pretty close to being done with. I'm hoping to be able to finish both halves this weekend, because I'm really getting tired of sanding. :unsure

15920-front.jpg

15921-back.jpg

Looks great, keep up the good work. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the project, please keep posting progress and updated pictures as you get them.

Thanks for the support Cooter. The costume is coming along slowly but surely. Up to this point I've finished and reattached the jet pack, hinged the two halfs together, and drilled out the holes for the buttons. I'm going to me molding and casting my own buttons with some resin. Since I'm running out of time all the "buttons" will just light up and blink, instead of having any voice command features.

17225-a.jpg

17226-a.jpg

17227-a.jpg

Trying on the chest piece.
17224-a.jpg

Still have to do some smoothing out around the chest piece, but it's almost ready for paint. Hopefully I'll have some more progress pictures up soon.
Thanks for looking.

Here are the final pictures of the costume. I didn't have time to take as much progress pictures as I'd have liked to. All and all it turned out alright. The paint job was rushed, and it really shows unfortunately, and then the arm laser LED burned out, and I didn't have enough time to get another one. But my son did have a good time, and that was the most important part.

17818-a.jpg

17817-a.jpg

17819-a.jpg

17821-a.jpg

Thanks for looking. If anything else it was a great learning experience.

It's pretty killer man! Your son will appreciate the hard work in the future when he see's these photos.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back