1966 Penguin costume, Help me brothers!

IndyFanChuck

Sr Member
Hey friends,

I have been talking about doing this 1966 Penguin costume since 2005 when I joined the BotB costuming forum and never got around to doing it. I started this topic over there, and now want to talk about it here before I get started. I want to make a replica of the 1966 Penguin costume worn by the infamous Meredith Burgess! I loved this show when I was a child, and I don't care how cheesy it seems today! :p

So, I took a few screen grabs of the costume and I wanted to get suggestions, input, anything from you members. I am going to start this costume next weekend. I have to spend the next few days looking for the right fabrics, then my wife will do all the measurements and then on to the costume.

I know this may sound silly, but I think the top hat might be the hardest part to pull off. If done wrong, it could completely ruin the whole costume. I don't know if I should buy one and have it professionally painted the pinkish-purplish color OR...... well, I don't know.

And then, I want to get just the right umbrella. Anyway, here are the screen grabs I took of the Penguin.

Can you please share your suggestions with me? On what to do and what not do to? Thanks brothers and sisters!!!

-------Chuck

penguin_riddler_catwoman_joker.jpg

Penguin7.png

Penguin6.png

Penguin5.png

Penguin4.png

Penguin3.png

Penguin2.png

Penguin1.png

Black slacks, white dress shirt, black dress shoes with the white dress spats, black jacket.

It looks like he's wearing either black suspenders or another black vest underneath (I'm going to guess suspenders).

The gloves and the over-vest (can't remember what those things are called) are made of fuzzy-ish white. It looks like it attaches behind the collar, then comes down the front and attaches at the back as well with the 4 buttons on front.

Purple bow-tie to match the hat, cigarette, and monocle, and you're done. :)

Your tophat issue may not be that difficult. Head over to http://www.hatcrafters.com/ and check out their selection. They make to order, and fairly quickly (Got my V hat in less than three weeks). They also have purple. Looks like a style no. 14 to me.

Fuzzy waistcoat (vest) is going to be your one big custom item. Hit ebay for the tails. Should be able to get a decent set of tails in the same style for fairly cheap. Pants should come with if you want them to match.

Thanks for the encouragement! I am going to try and do the exact costume. I know it won't be PERFECT, but I am going to try to replicate it as close as I possibly can. We are starting the costume next Sunday. So, I will try and post photos!
:thumbsup

The jacket may not be as easy as hitting ebay.

Almost all of the mens tuxedos on ebay are swallow tail coats, which is not what you want (think Fred Astaire). You want what's called a morning coat or cutaway (Groucho Marx worn one, BTW). They are easy to find in charcoal grey but difficult to find in black. Historically speaking, cutaways are considered day wear formal attire, while swallow tails are considered evening wear.

I suggest you try searching uniform supply places that carry tuxes for waiters, etc. They will have the best prices.

As a detail, note that the white gloves only have the fur on the back of the hands. The palms are smooth.

Good luck with your project.

Rick

I did a Penguin costume for a party, it was pretty easy, even though the 60's Batman Penguin was a template, I wasn't exactly trying to copy that costume.

Got most of it at Uniformal Warehouse.

I'm not sure what that old fuzzy fabric is called, but there's a few new types of fuzzy synthetics (poodledog) & polarfleeces available now that might replicate it. There's a guy here in GA with that costume, I can ask him about his hat.. Other than a custom, if you can get a white one, it can be easily dyed or painted (airbrushed) to match. Looks like the spats are that fuzzy stuff too..

We went shopping for fabrics today. We got a few things. I hope to have photos soon. But, I REALLY need to get on the Wolverine Claws soon too. It is SO HOT in the garage though!

My input may not be very helpful, but I will say this to your statement about cheesy, despite the cheesiness of the 60's show, I have always considered Burgess Meredith to be the best person to portray the Penguin. He had both a holier than thou aristocratic attitude combined with a harsh criminal mastermind element... not to mention a penguin like laugh and waddle.

Okay, so I'm wondering if the vest is the same material as the gloves. Either that or some kind of upholstery or thick drape material with a pattern on it. I don’t think the spats are fuzzy though.

…it would be easier if they gave us these shows in HD.

Like rickrickrick said, the back of the gloves most definitely is the same material as the vest. It's got the same fuzzy look.

Any updates on this? I'd love to see it.
And hear how you put it all together and where you found all the parts.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back