Yet another Fine Molds 1/72 Falcon build

Well, things are going slow right now. I have ordered some fibre optics and canopy glue online so I'm waiting for them to reach me from the other side of the globe so I can start on the lighting. I have also purchased lot of LEDs and resistors and I'll begin with some tests soon to figure out the final lighting setup ... woot.

As far as the model is concerned I took a small break from the ramp and I currently want to get rid of all the piping replacements :unsure.

Here's the current status:

550424_4930191899348_356409319_n.jpg

... six more pipes and I'm done :behave

Last edited:
Wow! The ante just keeps getting upped on these mods!

I wish I had shelved mine instead of starting it when I did. I'm now seriously considering going back and redoing the piping!!!!

Looks fantastic, is the pipework brass? I'm sure that took some time making sure the angles were right, I have a suggestion for you.....I'll post images tonight.

J

Although I've removed the mandibles and changed the position of them (which I'm not recommending to you), I do suggest perhaps scribing a lip to create the illusion that the hull overhangs the mandibles:

pipes.jpg

J

Arrrrgh, I don't want to remove the tubing and replace with brass! I'm not doing it!

Yours looks so good though...

No, I'm not doing it!

It's easy, go get some scraper tools and miniature chisel set,.... that's what I used. It'll look great leading into all the pits!

Looks great man! Replacing pipes is key,though I only replaced some. Alaneye, I just used plastic piping, and scratchy is right it is easier than you think. I used the flat xacto blade, and as long as its sharp it glides through pretty easy.

Although I've removed the mandibles and changed the position of them (which I'm not recommending to you), I do suggest perhaps scribing a lip to create the illusion that the hull overhangs the mandibles:

pipes.jpg

J

OMG I'm definitely not changing the mandibles :eek. This is something I might try on my second Falcon if I ever get around to it. But scribing a lip actually sounds very interesting and looks great so I'll think about it. The only thing that might stop me from doing this is the brass piping which I really don't want to redo because of it.

Thanks for the tip though and love what you did to the mandibles! Do you have step by step images of how you did that? I have no idea where I'd start.

Arrrrgh, I don't want to remove the tubing and replace with brass! I'm not doing it!

Yours looks so good though...

No, I'm not doing it!

I think you should give it a go Alaneye as even a total beginner like me has managed. Seeing your work I know that this is something you will have no issue with.

I have used a sharp flat X-ACTO knife to remove the pipes and it was pretty easy. Just don't use too much force or you'll scratch the hull like I did many times before I got the hang of it.

Thanks for the tip though and love what you did to the mandibles! Do you have step by step images of how you did that? I have no idea where I'd start.

I don't have any step by step images of the removal, (I did this before joining any forums)......but I have a second kit, which I'm gonna modify also & I will definitely photo each step.

There are some images of the removed parts on this thread:
http://www.therpf.com/f11/fm-1-72-millennium-falcon-mandible-surgery-159331/

.....& some tips on how to remove them without damaging the surrounding details.

As I say on the thread, there are tonnes of really fantastic FM MF's without this mod, so please don't feel under pressure to attempt this procedure

J

I think you should give it a go Alaneye as even a total beginner like me has managed. Seeing your work I know that this is something you will have no issue with.

I have used a sharp flat X-ACTO knife to remove the pipes and it was pretty easy. Just don't use too much force or you'll scratch the hull like I did many times before I got the hang of it.

*Sigh* I know, I just keep trying to tell myself that the molded ones look fine and it's just work I don't need to do. I might try one at the weekend and see how much difference it makes.

*Sigh* I know, I just keep trying to tell myself that the molded ones look fine and it's just work I don't need to do. I might try one at the weekend and see how much difference it makes.

If don't feel like doing the whole model and just want to try it out, do the three pipes on the front left side of the top hull. These ones make the hugest difference since they are not supposed to touch the hull in one place. If you don't know what I mean I'll post an image.

On another note ... my fibre optics and canopy glue had arrived yesterday so I'm currently gathering the courage to finally get rid of the bloody cockpit. I plan to use most of the custom PE but I chose the original styrene control panel / dashboard lit with fibres. I hope that this combo will turn out ok.

Also I have to squeeze some red lights in so that I can light the two round holes behind the grille on the cockpit's exterior and figure out how to efficiently block light between these two sections. There's practically no room there! :angry

Last edited:
Started on the inside of the cockpit yesterday and after priming several pieces I got a little bored while waiting for the primer to dry...

... so I started thinking about battle damage :love. My initial thoughts were to just paint the blast marks and maybe just do some of the most visible holes. In the end I decided that something like that would not do my Falcon justice so I opted for an accurate 5-footer battle damage reproduction. As you can imagine I went nuts with my dremel :D. I have finished the top hull and cockpit sections, with the escape pods and bottom hull still waiting to be done. I have also copied the damage to the edges of the saucer section from the 5-footer (lots of breaking stuff, gluing it back on and filling stuff with putty) so I'm wondering how that will turn out :confused.

As I was happily hacking at the oh so carefully sanded and polished hull (as I managed to scratch it in several places while customising it) I have also decided to scribe the "lip" as recommended by Jaitea ... thanks BTW ;-).

After I had finished all of these changes I realised one thing. I would have to prime the whole hull again (or at least most of it) which would mean I'd have as many as four coats of primer on various sections of the hull :facepalm. As I was already quite unhappy with the lack of detail in some areas, one more coat would just kill the entire model. So I decided to remove the primer from the hull altogether and start again... so stupid. I know that some of you might think of this move as fairly excessive but bear in mind that this is my first attempt at priming anything straight from the can and that I probably used way more paint then most of you would have. And since I didn't want to ruin the entire model because I got lazy one afternoon I just did it.

I'll hopefully post some new images soon as I'm currently also working on the ramp and thinking about the final lighting setup.

Oh and I figured something out. Many of you had airbrushed the inside of the hull with several coats of black to block light. My experience was that instead of doing that I just held the hull against my table lamp and just covered the places that let light through with a thin layer of putty ... et voila.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back