Woodgrain effect plastic, does it exist?

MML

I'm trying to make a wood rimmed steering wheel for a model car. It's basically a metal core/spokes with thin wooden rims either side. The problem is, the wood is incredibly fragile, and breaks easily.
I thought of using wood-effect acrylic, like the stuff that's used for turning ballpoint pens (see pics). It can be worked on a lathe.
Unfortunately all I can find is funky coloured stuff or imitation horn, nothing resembling wood. Has anyone ever seen a wood-effect material?

2e6rrCs.jpg

stnbSZx.jpg

This is the wheel I'm making, it's for a 1/8th scale DB5. The steel is lasercut 0.5mm, the wood 1.5mm thick. There will be brass pins running through the layers.

IM2GenO.jpg

you'd probably have good luck going to an automotive salvage yard and looking thru wrecked cars. There's got to be more than a few with fancy woodlike console panels, door trim, dashboard,etc. in burlwood or other styles. you could probably get it for pennies that way.

I think you are going to have to make it out of a light color acrylic and then paint it.

As for painting, I do not know how hard it is to do at home or if it even possible, but look up hydrographic. Basically a film of paint with a pattern floats on top of water and you dunk your item through that film and it sticks. This company sells to manufacturers, but you can see what is possible in their gallery. www.watertransferprinting.com/Films.html?gclid=CLep9YCTpMACFUVo7AodqSkAkg

in those swatches in the OP, 340054 looks very similar to wood.

have you thought of using a very thin wood veneer as a backing to the wooden ring going against the grain to stiffen it up? Kinda like a plywood setup. I've seen my late grandfather do it... and he had been building top-quality, high-end furniture from the 30's until 1988 when he retired.

You could even recess the veneer a bit into the back side of the wooden ring so when you attach the 2 halves to the wheel, they come together and the separation line pretty much vanishes... the weakest part however will be the lip left over from the recess.

If you want to go the other route, you can steam bend the veneer around the area, but this will also require a mold or form to put around the bent veneer in order for it to keep it's shape. A lot harder to get right, but the upside is using plywood as a substrate so it won't be as fragile... downside Major PITA.

Wish my grandfather was still around... he would have a 100% sure-fire answer for you.

Just looked at a DB5 steering wheel... You should be fine with alternating layers of wood. I wouldn't worry about each layer being fragile. Once glued together, lacquered, and the brass pins put through, you should be fine. Alternating layers in this image... kinda like expensive plywood.
65-Aston-Martin-DB5-DV-12-GCA_i01.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the problem with your cutout wood (from the above pic) is that is gets the cross-grain at two spots, where most circular wood items are a composit of straight grain pieces, glued togeher.

Besides that, at 1:8 scale, this steering wheel is 1" circumfrence? With 1/16" diameter grip for the wheel? At taht scale, who is going to notice real wood from a photograchic decal, or painted plastic, with lots of clear coat?

I am all for acuracy and detail, but you got to draw a line somewhere. I know that there are internets sites that show fanatical builds, with working engines and gear boxes, but how far are you going to go?

A decal should do it for you.

The latest Fine Scale Modeler magazine (September 2014, p.36) has a nice article on painting a wood effect. Dude did a pretty believable job on his WWI bi-plane...

--Alex

I am all for acuracy and detail, but you got to draw a line somewhere. I know that there are internets sites that show fanatical builds, with working engines and gear boxes, but how far are you going to go?

Heh, you have a valid point there, but, to be honest, I fancied a challenge! Once I put my mind to something like this, I can be quite stubborn. One of the main reasons I decided to go with wood was just to see if I could.
Besides, a decal would be too easy! ;)

It is quite fragile, but I've made progress, and to be honest I think it'll work out.

- - - Updated - - -

That's really beautiful work... noted for future reference!

Here's what I dopaint a layer of tan mixed with gold, whent it drys, use wood stain and the crappiest brush you can find. The wood stain will streak like crazy, which will give you a wood grain. because the stain wil be transparent, the gold will give your part a nice glow, just like polished wood. It will take a bit of time to dry so give it a couple of days.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back