What have I got my self into & MPC Falcon aftermarket parts

newmagrathea

Sr Member
IMG_2034.JPG

So, I haven't even finished my first kit (in 20 years) that I started back in January and I've already bought my next 6 kits. What did I get myself into? My next build will be the PBY Catalina because I'm building it for my grandfather who was a radio man on a PBY in WWII. After that, it's either the 144th Finemolds Falcon or the Speeder bike, I haven't decided yet. I'm probably not going to do a lot of modding to the Finemolds Falcon except maybe some brass rod to replace some tubing.

Anyway, I like to plan ahead and was wondering if there were any opinions on aftermarket parts for the MPC Falcon. Specifically the parts I'm curious about are the photo-etched exhaust vents and landing gear baffles. Like in this link http://starshipmodeler.biz/shop/ind...s-millennium-falcon-pe-grille-detail-set.html

Also, I've heard that the sidewalls are too tall and they are often cut down to the right size. I did find a aftermarket sidewall set at one time... has anyone used one of these or seen the results of one? Is it good, or should I just cut down the sidewalls myself?

I found someone on ebay selling a cockpit print out that looks like it might be worth getting.

Anyone know of any other stuff? I know that there is a huge list of improvements that can be done to this kit and I'd like to start ordering stuff so I have it on hand when I start.

Is there a comprehensive list of parts/things that can be done to improve this model?

I would recommend the PE grilles, I used some for my FM Falcon and they made a huge difference in the rear deck area. I presume the effect is no less significant on the MPC.

In my limited experience as a model builder, the best thing I did for my FM Falcon was purchasing the PE detail set from Paragrafix (formerly Acreation). If it's still the same set (looks like it), the cockpit interior parts are actually designed for the MPC/AMT/ERTL Falcon, the cockpit inner diameter is supposedly the same. The floor plate does not fit on the FM without some mods because the front cone is shaped differently, it should fit the MPC fine. Now, I don't know about the other parts, like will the baffles fit the landing gear of the MPC, but if they do, they add a lot. It's a pricey set for just the cockpit rear wall, but it sure looks fantastic when installed.

I have one of these PE sets (for another FM Falcon) and an unbuilt MPC Falcon, I can try to measure the fit for you if you're interested.

Those 3D printed parts look very interesting. The transparent material they use for printing is brittle but easy to work with, sanding and filing is easy.

Check out some of this guy's stuff on Shapeways - he has parts for the MPC/ERTL and both Fine Molds Falcons: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/308bits?section=SciFi&s=0

Very cool, I might just pick up certain parts there. I like the radar dish, but I looks like it has that slight grainy texture that so many 3d printed parts have. Does anyone know how to cover/remove that texture without losing the detail? Some sort of gel coat perhaps.

I would recommend the PE grilles, I used some for my FM Falcon and they made a huge difference in the rear deck area. I presume the effect is no less significant on the MPC.

In my limited experience as a model builder, the best thing I did for my FM Falcon was purchasing the PE detail set from Paragrafix (formerly Acreation). If it's still the same set (looks like it), the cockpit interior parts are actually designed for the MPC/AMT/ERTL Falcon, the cockpit inner diameter is supposedly the same. The floor plate does not fit on the FM without some mods because the front cone is shaped differently, it should fit the MPC fine. Now, I don't know about the other parts, like will the baffles fit the landing gear of the MPC, but if they do, they add a lot. It's a pricey set for just the cockpit rear wall, but it sure looks fantastic when installed.

I have one of these PE sets (for another FM Falcon) and an unbuilt MPC Falcon, I can try to measure the fit for you if you're interested.

Those 3D printed parts look very interesting. The transparent material they use for printing is brittle but easy to work with, sanding and filing is easy.

Awesome, I'll definitely order that set if it fits. Yeah, if you don't mind measuring those parts that would be great. I'm in no rush, so whenever you get to it. I'm sure other people would find this info handy as well.

I think I'm the most interested in the 3d printed seats and console, I'd bet they'd look pretty sharp painted up. And the cabin cone with side consoles.

Check out some of this guy's stuff on Shapeways - he has parts for the MPC/ERTL and both Fine Molds Falcons: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/308bits?section=SciFi&s=0

Hi guys.

I'm the man behind 308 Bits on Shapeways! Many thanks for the compliments. I'm glad that you like the parts. I've parts for MPC, Fine Molds 1/72 and 1/144, and for Studio Scale.

About the grainy texture, is so small. A little bit sanding and a primer coat it's just OK to hide almost all the texture. On the very tiny parts is difficult, but these are parts so tiny that you must use magnifying glass to see it. I've to dig a little bit but some guys told me that using a special coat will be useful for "erasing" the grainy texture.

Well, if you need something, just send to me a PM!

Glad to be here.

Lol, I'm getting in a similar situation, started out ordering a FM x-wing and now kinda ended up with 3 FM 1/72 Falcons and all the after market bits and bobs (will be posting more soon), I've also got all the ShapeWays parts, will photograph and up load, there pretty smooth to be honest as the high detail plastic is very fine, the grain effect is more down to the transparent look rather the the texture, now got to work out which is going to look better the PE cockpit or the ShapeWay items, may end up using bits of each. Good luck with the builds :)

FZ6: great work in the parts, inspired me to make some for my x-wing

Last edited:
Here's a few quick close ups :), doesn't quite show how smooth they really are, but as the man says very little effort to sort anything out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 141
Lol, I'm getting in a similar situation, started out ordering a FM x-wing and now kinda ended up with 3 FM 1/72 Falcons and all the after market bits and bobs (will be posting more soon), I've also got all the ShapeWays parts, will photograph and up load, there pretty smooth to be honest as the night detail plastic is very fine, the grain effect is more down to the transparent look rather the the texture, now got to work out which is going to look better the PE cockpit or the ShapeWay items, may end up using bits of each. Good luck with the builds :)

FZ6: great work in the parts, inspired me to make some for my x-wing

Many thanks for the compliments!

For me it's funny seeing my parts photographed by you. I'm very proud you liked them.

Many thanks for the great feedback! This will help me to improve and to create more parts.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back