U.S.S. Kelvin composite for my good friend Jay

Andrew C.

My buddy Jay (aka astrojay) in Australia lovingly handcrafted the U.S.S. Kelvin after many hours of photo research. He shipped his beautiful model to me for photography and exhibits and I recently did a photoshoot in the garage. Here is the composite using photoshop in desktop size 1920 x 1080 pixels:

Kelvin 1920x1080.jpg
Thanks for reading & looking,
Andrew

Thank you, Alex!

Thanks, Mike, the composite has over 160 layers. Kinda hard keeping track after a while. =:-0

Thanks, Ryan! Have attached the model shot. The Kelvin model doesn't have lights, so most of the composite work went into creating the lighting.
USS Kelvin modelshot.jpg

You lit the model perfectly. I know the impulse is to shine a light directly on it, but in space that almost never happens.

You lit the model perfectly. I know the impulse is to shine a light directly on it, but in space that almost never happens.

I dunno, the SUN lives in space and it shines directly on pretty much everything. Everything within six or eight AUs at any rate....

--Alex

Thanks, Ryan! I lit and shot the model first, then created the planet and moon to fit the model's lighting. It's easier than doing the background first and then trying to match the lighting on the model.

Wow, everyone is right. Your work is amazing! Both your photoshop work and the actual model. At first I thought it was a CG render and it wasnt till I kept reading that I realized that it was an actual model photographed.

Well done sir!

Thank you Strushie, Katscan and Daniel, for your kind words! :)

Daniel, here is a picture of Jay's model in a glass display case taken at an exhibit this year:

Jays USS Kelvin.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back