TIE Bomber (Finished!)

Re: TIE Bomber from AMT TIE Advanced X-1 (Now Studio Scale)

Thanks for the offer, but I think I have all of the large components sorted.
bhYRxZX.jpg

KmbuAOX.jpg

KAmu8XC.jpg

tzuuSvz.jpg

7g0X6yI.jpg

Serious progress over the past few days - first batch of 3D printed parts printed, Darth Vader's TIE finally arrived, and i've finsihed machining the fuselage. I've takena mould of the fuselage, and i'll be casting it in polyurethane in the next few days.
-Matt

More progress over the past few days; cast the second fuselage, and nearly finished smoothing the first batch of 3D printed parts:
QX4wQfN.jpg

BuiXZl3.jpg

I9nwxWU.jpg

layRB61.jpg

irl5DC1.jpg

That last piece has been nearly impossible to smooth. In general i've been using layers of tip-ex to get a smooth surface, sanding between coats. The cockpit detail isn't mine BTW, it's an original plastic part from the AMT kit. I cast the fuselage with a flat (ish) surface inside to allow that part to be glued into place.

The 3D printer in action:
ZuOxxz0.jpg

smkMdLD.jpg

-Matt

More progress:
m5LW1KQ.jpg

dplawDf.jpg

hLXCfD7.jpg

9jFMqgg.jpg

bjMYvRI.jpg

GcxfI7P.jpg

-Cast the 3D printed details
-Begun assembly of the wings.

The castings are a bit rougher than i'd hoped, thanks to the thin section on some of them, but they should be useable with a little sanding and filling. For future casts i'll cut more air holes to reduce the number of voids. I'll be printing the next lot of components on wednesday.
-Matt

Last edited:

Not much progress today, but the final batch of parts is ready for printing:
wY7xUrb.jpg

-Matt

Some progress over the past few days, between exams.
iW5DXcd.jpg

UOj7tJv.jpg

JIpMI5X.jpg

jTYSjNx.jpg

I've started adding greeblies - altough this is a studio scale model, i'm not going for a 100% accurate reproduction. I haven't really got the budget to get the origibal kit parts, so i'm using scrap parts from old models and sprues for the same effect. That is at least in keeping with the philosophy of the original builders!
-Matt

Got the rest of the 3D printed components:
bKGCfKe.jpg

Now need to smooth them, cast, and attach them to the bomber. Then it'll be sanding, fine detail and finally painting.
-Matt

Bomber finally finished:

DYizMwj.jpg

DlJqH7Z.jpg

tTwVy3z.jpg

Tkn4mCq.jpg

ezyNXfe.jpg

CMFMqr3.jpg

Painted with tamiya light grey, flat black, and subjected to diffusion weathering, a very light wash, and some laser burns using matches. We're going to be using it as a shooting model for a short film we're making, i'll post details here:
http://www.therpf.com/f79/mass-prod...film-project-214891/?highlight=mass+producing
when we've composited the first shots.
-Matt

Edit: mods, this may now be better suited to the SS model section if you happen across this post.

Both models came out very well. Looking forward to updates in your other thread.

Both models came out very well. Looking forward to updates in your other thread.

Thanks, we're in final post production, shouldn't be long now.

I've had some spare time over the past few days, so I added the wing extensions to the bomber:
3Uhupmt.jpg

772HlkF.jpg

They're made from 15mm plasticard strip I cutout; the gaps were filled with superglue, epoxy and tip ex. If I did it again in future, i'd cut them out in one or two pices, but such is life. I need to do a smidge more tidying, but otherwise there now.

In a similar veign, I picked up the AMT TIE fighter kit as well, and built one of the fighters:
bVxPzg0.jpg

A8so7fZ.jpg

gDk6rdN.jpg

These are in 1/48th scale, so for an interesting size comparison:
MFYc5Qs.jpg

buQVftD.jpg

(N1K "Rex" and MiG-21 "Fishbed")
-Matt

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back