Tacky Paint Problem, please help!

Vandark

Sr Member
Hi there,

I've just painted a model kit with some Humbrol Enamel, Gloss paint, but after three days of waiting, the paint still isn't dry and is very tacky.

Is there any other way, other than removing it and trying again, that I can get around this problem?

If I applied a layer of gloss, would that work, or just make it worse?

any help would be awesome!

thanks

Richard

Hey Richard,

It sounds like the hardner has seperated out of the carrier. Once that happens, all you can do is wait, or start over. Problem is, waiting could be up to a year, depending on how thourough the seperation was. Get yourself an electric stirrer (www.micromark.com carries them for $10) and really mix the paint. If it's too far gone, you may need to replace the paint all together.

Covering the gooey mess isn't going to make it any better -trust me on this :cry :lol.

-Fred

Thanks for the replies!

The kit isn't vinly, it's hard plastic.

Is there a painless way to remove paint from a kit?

thanks

Richard

I once had a motorcyle model that I was really looking forward to having displayed. I painted the motor with some type of metallic paint (cannot remember the brand) and it never dried. Even after weeks it was still gummy. I remember being so discouraged that I just threw it away.

As for applying a coat of gloss...I do not speak from experience but I cannot imagine this having the desired result. Since paint dries due to the solvent evaporating, a sealer coat may prevent that solvent from ever evaporating. Just my opinion though.

I once had a motorcyle model that I was really looking forward to having displayed. I painted the motor with some type of metallic paint (cannot remember the brand) and it never dried. Even after weeks it was still gummy. I remember being so discouraged that I just threw it away.

Metallic paint never seems to dry with me!

My problem, is that I either rush things and screw them up, or do them so slowly that I never get them finished.

the model in question was the former!

If you can get the paint off, I would think that you could repaint it with an airbrush and get the results you want. It would lay down such a thin coat that it would be much more likely to dry for you.

As for removing the paint; since it's enamel and hasn't hardened yet, I would use mineral spirits and a good, stiff scrub brush. It might be gummy and a real PITA to get off, but some elbow grease should do the trick.

Another trick, if you have a disposable bucket and plenty of ventilation, is brake fluid (like you put in your car). It's been known to eat through all kinds of paint without destroying the plastic. Just be careful, because it's kinda caustic - and stinks.

-Fred

Try using a cote of dullcote over it before you strip it. It's worked for me in the past when I've had that problem.

I had some gloss that refused to dry so I put it between two hi watt halogen work lamps. This was a steel sculpture, you would need to be more careful, about the heat, with a plastic model.

Problem solved!

I decided to try something along the lines of heating up the paint with a lamp to cure it.

I didn't have any lamps, so first I tried a hair dryer, which didn't work.

This morning, I put the radiator on full balst, put a cardboard shelf on top of it and put my model on top of that.

When I got home from work, the paint was completely dry!! Awesome!

Only problem is, i've left a damn thumb print in the paint work!! argh!!!

thanks for all your help and ideas!

Richard

Great to hear that you managed to save your model, I had a similar problem with my spray paint. It turned out that the resin I had casted didn't mix right and it was bleeding which reacted with the paint.

In the end I had to throw my castings away and make new ones :(

Glad to hear it worked out for you, Richard. Just keep in mind, for next time, to really, really shake and stir your paints so this doesn't happen again :)

-Fred

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back