Stop Animation 1/6th scale vehicles?

jimmydellamorte

So I'm working on a stop animation short film and am splicing several techniques with it.
For a particular scene the main characters are driving in an olde style coupe and I wanted to incorporate some shots of not only a convincingly detailed exterior of the car but an interior that pops.
I was going to have the driver get in first (only shots of him) and animate all his actions, then slip a small green screen between the driver and passenger seat and follow the same animation process of the passenger, later chroma-ing them together to create one fluid segment. I was also going to green screen the background through the window and splice in some old timey stock footage to make it appear as if the vehicle is driving.

The issue I'm having, other than how expensive 1/6th scale clothing/weapons/props are, is finding a 16th scale model car. I've only found motorcycles or military style vehicles but no classic cars or anything of the sort.

Was curious if anyone knew where to find them on the cheap or am I going to have to custom make one from scratch?

From scratch I think - although you could look into toy cars; it may form a useful base you can modify to make more realistic. It's unlikely you'll get the exact scale, but i'm sure there are toys out there which are "close enough".
-Matt

The RC car body idea is genius... I've seen some perfect sized RC bodies here and there... Guess I could get this:

IMG_20120618_110904.jpg

and rip it apart, sand it down to nill so I have a good interior that fits the figures and then I can throw an RC car plastic body on top and figure out how to insert side panels and windows and headlights. I also need a mock trunk and glove box.

Sigh... This project is going to be pricey.

- - - Updated - - -

This would be perfect too and easier than having to scratch build:
100_1601.jpg
It's the Jessie James Chevy Coupe from Planet Toys... Sadly the company went out of business... You used to be able to pick these bad boys up at that strange place they call Walmart.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back