Starship Enterprise-E in Gigantic 1/350 Scale (77 inches long!)

star-art

Sr Member
I designed and engineered this 77-inch model from bow to stern. It is being built by the talented folks at Custom Replicas. This is perhaps the most complicated starship created for the Star Trek series. As such, it has been incredibly difficult to recreate. The project has taken 4 years to get to this point. It should be completed in the not-too-distant future.

Two huge albums of images can be seen here and here.

Attachments

• Armature_v1a_view2.jpg
    Armature_v1a_view2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 143
  • SecHullFrontBelow2.jpg
    SecHullFrontBelow2.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Pylon-to-Engine3.jpg
    Pylon-to-Engine3.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 115
  • PrimHullTopComplete1.jpg
    PrimHullTopComplete1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 119
  • PrimHullBottomFinal2.jpg
    PrimHullBottomFinal2.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 125
  • NacelleDevelpmt3.jpg
    NacelleDevelpmt3.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 120
  • LwrPrimHullSplit-OptA.jpg
    LwrPrimHullSplit-OptA.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Bridge-B-C-DecksPreview17.jpg
    Bridge-B-C-DecksPreview17.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Bridge-B-C-DecksPreview16.jpg
    Bridge-B-C-DecksPreview16.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Armature_v1a_view3.jpg
    Armature_v1a_view3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
The model is well along toward completion. I am the designer for the project, but Jim Key and the team at Custom are building it. The ship was designed by Star Trek concept artist John Eaves. The original studio miniature was built by Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) under the guidance of John Goodson for Star Trek: First Contact. It measured an amazing 10 feet long!

I think I know why they chose this scale. The engine pylons or "wings" are so thin you could hardly make the model any smaller and fit a decent metal support inside. We had a devil of a time doing it in this smaller scale. In fact, it proved to be one of the biggest challenges of the entire project.

Construction photos courtesy of Custom Replicas.

Attachments

• Enterprise E preview 65.jpg
    Enterprise E preview 65.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 282
  • Enterprise E preview 50.jpg
    Enterprise E preview 50.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 254
  • Enterprise E preview 39.jpg
    Enterprise E preview 39.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 249
  • Enterprise E preview 30.jpg
    Enterprise E preview 30.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 234
  • e29.jpg
    e29.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 227
  • e_20.jpg
    e_20.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 246
  • e_13.jpg
    e_13.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 362
  • e_10.jpg
    e_10.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 252
  • armature_preview_3.jpg
    armature_preview_3.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 284
  • Enterprise E preview 77.jpg
    Enterprise E preview 77.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 304
I have been trying to keep up with this build. I love the work you all have done. galaxyman1701-d is scratching the 1/350 B and D... I hope I can afford all these, cause I am hoping to collect a 1/350 Enterprise series from the NX-01 to the E. (I have taken a break from it, but I am scratching a 1/350 Enterprise-C) When I finish my 1/6 scale Titan Atlas, I will resume work on my C... but this thread is about you, and all I can say is "bravo!" It is a masterpiece, to be sure. I hope you will continue to share your progress with us. :)

Thanks very much! :)

I would love to see a "B" in this scale as it's one of my favorite ships. And, it's funny you mentioned the "C" because I am just about to start working on that one. . .

Thanks very much! :)

I would love to see a "B" in this scale as it's one of my favorite ships. And, it's funny you mentioned the "C" because I am just about to start working on that one. . .

Please post your progress when you start the C, OK. You appear to have some CAD skills under your belt, and I am building mine "old-school". It will be interesting to see the differences. :) (I would just buy one of yours, but I have already put a lot of time into mine. I even had a computer nerd recalibrate my pdf's to 1/350 scale, so when I print them out I will have accurate references!) And I would like to see the B, too. G-man hasn't posted any progress on it in some time. But you should check out his thread on the D. It is something. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=149365

This is simply amazing! I'm such a fan of this design and can't even begin to convey my excitement—and envy—about this build. I really look forward to seeing it completed. If it's ever on exhibit in the Southern California area, please let me know when and where it can be viewed. I'll be there in a New York minute.

BTW: How did you work out the proportions for this? Did you work off some plan views from scratch?

Thanks! All reference used was from the model built by Digital Domain for the film Nemesis. I had only 2D images from which to work and no 3D data whatsoever. All patterns were derived from renders of the studio model.

- - - Updated - - -

PS The E-C is well underway as well. Some images have been posted on my Facebook page. I've been down with the flu, it hit hard and I am just now starting to get back on my feet. . .

I'm looking at building this at a similar scale. Mine will only be 62 inches stem to stern but...yeah...that is still pretty freaking huge. I'm glad I found this build though. Didn't even think about building a support structure for it.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back