Stargate Atlantis Lights Replica - [Finished]

jessec

I have for always loved the Atlantis Design its simply beautiful. The lights used all over in Atlantis known as chicklets by the production team.

I finally this weekend tried to make my first. This is very raw attempt it is still in the works, will try to primer & paint in a next few days ...:)
Inspiration Inspiration
atlantislights.png

Started out with a thin piece of MDF & drawing up an outline of where crystals will be & so on....

9ea4a619.jpg

d3237250.jpg

Cut outs for Crystals
13cee8c5.jpg

Glued it all up - & added Block Details

50c30384.jpg

8ef8e8c6.jpg

Crystals Test
fb82c37c.jpg

724f0dae.jpg

Curved the top & getting ready for more sanding ...
76dda950.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Stargate Atlantis Lights Replica - WIP

Thnx

Actually thats what they used on the originals & i wanted to use that as well but it was turning out to be more expensive as..the light would require 2 different lights.

I actually used a Left over LED Christmas Light :) its Much brighter, Cooler Light, dispenses less heat :)

Finally Started The Paint !!! Exciting - 3 Weeks into it its almost Done...

1t coat done - 2nd Coat will be next & then finally i can call it done.. :)

I wanted to shoot for metallic look Hopefully when its all done - it will come out good.

842ae807.jpg

7b9fc828.jpg

It looks like you have a portable table saw. Is there enough clearance to install a dado blade? That might make it easier for you to rip slots.

You know what, i was looking into that would make life much easier a employee at the lowes mentioned it too, But right now i am trying to fund a Scroll Saw

i am still in the learning curve when it comes to tools :)

That you had the gumption to go out and build something, already shows your dedication to the craft. :thumbsup

That you had the gumption to go out and build something, already shows your dedication to the craft. :thumbsup

I tried and tried - i struggled a lot in the beginning as i had never handled any power tools other than a simple drill... hopefully with time bit by bit i can learn and put it to use..

One more coat of paint to go - Here is a light leak test.

As u can see i is no Pro - loads of light is leaking from the sides. & need to align the crystals ..should be simple

Sealed it will sand and paint in the morning :) & hopefully can finally call it done by sat evening.

just for test i hung it up -
e89a84ca-1.jpg

7a9e4c94.jpg

7e269030.jpg

7612d587.jpg

e89a84ca.jpg

those crystals. how did they start out >? as pieces of acrylic? it looks like its thick too..... did you just cut those into the shape you want?

looking great.

I cut the crystals into squares then cut from the triangle side -- but it got too difficult - because i used the 1/2 inch thick acrylic - i took the squares to a local glass shop had them cut them into shapes - they are 100% replication of the ones used in real stargate Atlantis lights.

How did you make it have that metallic texture?

lay down a coat of grey - without it drying - brush on black very lightly - make sure the black is not very thin it needs to be thick - as you cover black - you will now grab another clean brush -dip it in gasoline (very very lightly) and slowly tap on the wet black clean the taping brush as you go this will make the black melt into the grey.. and when dried away it should produce the effect.
try it on small piece and change things up and see what u can accomplish .

That looks awesome!

Maybe this will help you...
Atlantis.jpg

holy crap it came out awesome, Congrats on a great job,,, Like everyone else said we all agree it doesn't match the room so you NEEEEEED to send to me and possibly make me another one,, LOL !!!!!!!!!! :lol :lol

Many Thanks for the Kind Words :) Guys

This was a learning experience.

This was my first Project ever. After looking at all you talented folks here, i got inspired. I had to go out buy all the tools and then learn to operate them but it has been a great learning experience.

Finished Project Below :)

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

It's beautiful !

But why did you re-paint it brown :cry ?

(or is that the camera playing tricks ?)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back