Star Trek Enterprise NX-01 Bridge Build 1:10 Sca

Atlanthia

Sr Member
[EDIT] since starting this build back in December, I have decided to scratch build the whole bridge and do away with the Art Asylum parts completely. It also allows me to build the refitted bridge, which negates that nasty flooring they used in the first series.[/B]

Well, My Star Trek TOS 1:10 Scale Bridge build is on hold until I can sort the wiring loom out - see it here:

http://www.therpf.com/f11/star-trek-t-o-s-enterprise-bridge-build-1-10th-scale-173519/

so I am looking for a "gap filler" project to tide me over.

I am so taken with rchrz60's NX-01 bridge build, that I scoured Ebay and finally managed to get two of the pieces I need to make my own Bridge display: Captain Archer's Chair and Malcolm Reed's Tactical station. T'pol's station is still eluding me but I will probably pick up another Reed station as it is identical and, yet, half the price. Anyway what really got under my skin was, that after hours spent online, searching for Mayweather's Helmstation, I finally learned that Art Asylum pulled the plug on this part before it went into production, leaving all the people who had invested in this line, high and dry with a half completed set!
So.....how difficult can this thing be to build, myself??? No decent reference, No blueprints, No dimensions, Fuzzy screen grabs of a semi lit studio set....I always did like a challenge! :)

First thing first: Sort out any and all reference points that can be verified. i.e. in the two existing promotional shots that Art Asylum released of the Mayweather helm, w
hat were the fixed points of reference that would help me scale this thing as accurately as possible?
Here are the two pics:

1111mayweather1__scaled_500_zpsbd0a1377.jpg 1111mayweather2__scaled_500_zpsfb19b830.jpg
The figure, the chair and the centre screen that is set into the console are all common parts to both tactical and science stations so these are immediately good starting points for working out some of the the basic height and width measurements.
As for the base, all the pieces of this set have a flooring surface of rows of tiny raised circles, like high grip flooring. By measuring off a ten circle by ten circle square on one of the pieces I have, I found it came to 1square inch. I then calculated the width and length of the above base by counting the circles in both directions. The result was surprisingly accurate as it slotted perfectly into the front of the captain's chair platform when I cut it out and offered it up.

20131205_210408_zpsd21e0105.jpg 20131205_203518_zps56c628b0.jpg 20131205_205755_zpse464bad5.jpg
I have tried to gather every picture I can find to build this piece and certain angles are almost impossible to find. I really want this piece to be as accurate as is humanly possible without actually visiting the piece in real life with a tape measure.
Thanks for looking in guys,
More soon!

Last edited:
Re: Mayweather Helm Station build to complete the AA/DST set

A little more progress. I have skinned the other half of the domed console and I have also pretty much skinned the back panels, too, where the two horizontal hand rails will go.

20131208_014859_zpsa9f43bce.jpg 20131208_010705_zpsfc7f86cd.jpg

20131208_010620_zps70d097a9.jpg 20131208_010842_zpsdeb6e1ae.jpg

20131208_010859_zps62c2a313.jpg

So here is where I am at so far...

View attachment 262358 579d4e30-c47f-4842-83f9-d38c2d854250_zpsb0826667.png

I will hopefully have a new update soon.

Last edited:

I dunno what all reference you have, but I seem to recall some pretty good stills of this in an old issue of Star Trek: The Magazine back in the day. If you don't have it, I might have the time to rummage through my old magazines and see if I can find something worth scanning... but I won't bother if you already have them.

--Alex

Hi, Alex. All I can say is that any and all help is gladly appreciated! :) and my thanks for your generous offer.the main source of reference I have been using is the navigation console of the nx-01 | Eavesdropping with Johnny which I came across by sheer fluke. Below the original design sketches on the link, are some great close up shots but you can never have enough reference, IMO.

Last edited:

A very good evening/morning to you all! I have managed to make considerable progress since my last update. The helm console is now correctly positioned, as the support podium is now pretty much constructed.

I have been fastidiously studying reference photos and I believe I have recreated it to an acceptable level of screen accuracy.

There are still a lot of panelling details to add but that will come after I have finished the remaining construction and filled with and sanded the Milliput. Looking good though.

I also found time to scratch build the helm seat, which involved a few hours heating plastic sheet and rod in hot water. I also scratch built 90% of the slide rail it is mounted on. Hopefully, I will finish the rail off tomorrow.

The seat does slide, just like the original.

It also swivels like the original. It's all in the detail!

Here's a peek under the seat at the mechanism. Simple but effective.

All in all, I think it is starting to shape up pretty well, and I am looking forward to Milliputting and then sanding this thing into shape!

Well, that's about it for this installment. Thanks for looking in and I hope you enjoyed my update.
More soon!

That's looking fantastic! As for the magazine article, it seems to me that the pics in the magazine are these same ones (at least, as far as I can recollect), so, I'm not sure how helpful they'd be, but if I get a free moment soon I'll look anyhow. Though you might have finished this one up by then!

--Alex

No worries. It was a kind offer and I really appreciate it. I'm just happy someone likes it other than me! :lol

Good work, I only have malcolms station.

Hi, Mate! Good to hear from you and I hope you are well?
To be honest, I am getting a lot of interest in this piece, both here and elsewhere, from people who, like us, have incomplete sets, so I may yet put this into silicone and make a few copies!

Good evening, everyone :)
Here is a quick update on my progress. After what seems like an eternity of detail sanding the Milliput to give nice crisp edges etc, I managed to finally complete all the panel detailing. I have also been working on other parts, such as the "gear shift", hand rails and details that cannot be made from styrene sheet. I love Milliput!
Anyway, the parts that have been made by sculpting will also be moulded and cast in plastic resin
and attached at the end.
so, here are a few pictures to let you all see for yourselves how it is looking. Hope you like it!

As always, thankyou for looking in and all comments / critiques are welcome!

Re: Star Trek Enterprise NX-01 Helm Station scratch build to complete the AA/DST set

just found this thread! Excellent work! It always amazes me what a person with a burning drive can accomplish.

Re: Star Trek Enterprise NX-01 Helm Station scratch build to complete the AA/DST set

That is a thing of beauty. Really looking great.

My sincere thanks to you, Gents! Pete, I love your progress BTW!

Evening, All!
I have finally managed to push the helm station forward tonight, if only a little. I have nearly finished the cutting and applying of all the console buttons. It's not 100% accurate but it's pretty close! I have also resized all the graphics, in preperation for printing them out and sticking them into position.

It's nice to finally start getting a little detail on this piece....

I will try to get the graphics printed tomorrow to see how they look.
More soon!

Last edited:

Okay, the wife laid down the law today so little to no model making. Instead, getting the Christmas decorations from the attic, and top to bottom house work so everything is up to her standards...

I did get the famous Helm Gear shift assembled and roughly painted up though...

This is brilliant, somehow your thread slipped under my radar but this is fantastic.
I have the other 3 consoles from the AA/DST releases and was really disappointed that they dropped Travis' Helm station from their line.

Now get cracking, I want to see this finished along with a station for Hoshi and the situation room at the back of the bridge. :)

Great work.

This is brilliant, somehow your thread slipped under my radar but this is fantastic.
I have the other 3 consoles from the AA/DST releases and was really disappointed that they dropped Travis' Helm station from their line.

Thanks for the kind words of support; I really appreciate it!

Now get cracking, I want to see this finished along with a station for Hoshi and the situation room at the back of the bridge. :)

Great work.

I am hoping to get this into rubber when finished, so that I can sell a few to interested parties. If there is any interest, of course. As for Hoshi's station and the ready room ......Foolishly, I have already been looking into it more than I should, as I still have my 1/10 Scale TOS Bridge build to complete!!! I am my own worst enemy at times...:rolleyes

One step at a time dude, don't want to incur the wrath of the better half.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back