Ron Cobb APC modeled by Andrew Pace

Yellowjacket

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was recently invited out to the Dundracon gaming convention in California, and I was specifically asked to run
a classic Aliens™ game for some regulars at the convention. I wanted to use concept vehicles to add a little
extra flavor and detail to the game, so I asked my brother Andrew to mock up the classic Ron Cobb APC design.
I've been a fan of Cobb's work forever and have I always wanted to see the original APC in 3D.

apcconceptart1.jpg

apcconceptart2.jpg

Andrew just finished some 'fresh off the factory floor' renders last night and you're among the first people to see
what we're calling the M579-D10 'Razorback' in battle dress green. I'm very happy with his interpretation
of Ron Cobb's concept, as were the players at the convention.

APC-SMALL.jpg

APC-ORTHOS-SMALL.jpg

This is the mock-up I did for the convention with the new green renders showing the stats and armaments for the M579-D10. I'm working on more materials and a pdf brochure, but life has me buried just enough that those materials might be awhile arriving.

AP-COBB-Pace.jpg

My many thanks to Andrew for punching this one out during his busy schedule. He never disappoints.
To view larger versions of these, please visit Drew Pace

THAT"S AWESOME!!!!!! Looks so much better rendered than I imagine the tech drawing views being.

Saying that: it'd look great without the wheels as a spacecraft. They're my least favorite part of Cobb's design. Or maybe the wheels could look a bit more intimidating.

Incredible job on the translation to model!

Does it seem there's a reason for the open space between the rear wheels? Rear alternate hatch for unloading troops maybe?

That looks really cool. The only view of the vehicle I don't like is the side view. But in every other viewing angle, it's insanely bad ass. Great job!

I learned that Mike Rush modeled the APC about fifteen years back and interpreted it along very similar lines. I'm jonesin' to see any of these animated.

apcviews.jpg

Oh MAN, that's SO nice! Just ridiculously nicely done, congrats!

Have you any thoughts of modelling the Cobb 'catamaran' dropship too? :love

Marvelous 3d modeling! I went to the blog but couldn't find any info. What 3d program is he using? Solidworks? 3d max? Any plans to convert to 3d prints?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back