Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Liverpool
    Jun 1, 2012, 10:07 PM - Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #1

Long story short, I had an old model of voyager given to my by my uncle, and Since I've got another boxed revell voyager to build, I thought I'd transform this into the year of hell edition

This is my first time scratching any interiors or anything, so I'm not sure how it'll all turn out. I've still got to thin out the edges of the plastic breaches with a dremel, and remove some of the blobbier areas (I used a soldering iron for the holes) I plan to light it using the flickering candle effect LEDS to simulate burning fires in certain areas.
    Hopefully it'll turn out as well as my Bird of Prey model did

All work inspected by Number One of course

Any tips for detailing the interior parts would be helpful!
    From
    Highway To Hell!!!
    Jun 2, 2012, 10:29 AM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #2

My God Man!!!
    What have you done??????????

Kenny
    From
    UK
    Jun 2, 2012, 11:08 AM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #3

I'd send that kit back, it looks damaged.

Seriously it's a ballsy move getting into it with the soldering iron like that. Look forward to your progress!
    From
    Liverpool
    Jun 2, 2012, 8:41 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #4

Small update:

Found some decking I started a while ago, It's nothing compared to what some people can do on here, but I have my excuse It's a battle damaged ship, so I don't expect things to be nice and level

I cut up an old set of earphones for my deflector innards, I doubt it's accurate. but It'll do.

From
    Ontario, Canada
    Jun 2, 2012, 8:52 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #5

Wow. I gotta say, that's pretty darn kewl, dude! Don't ever really see these builds around much, so good for you.

If I had one of these just lying around doing nothing, I'd probably do the same thing. Always thought the "Year of Hell" representation of the ship looked really neat.

It's been a while since I've watched those VOY episodes, so I didn't remember there being that large a hull breach in the forward part of the saucer. Yowzers

Btw, I like your approach of using a soldering iron to achieve that look. Really sells it, imho. It's coming along well so far. Keep it up.
    From
    Liverpool
    Jun 2, 2012, 9:01 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #6

That bigger part was pretty late in the episode, when a ship came across the bow of voyager.

btw, I got your message, tried to reply but I have no idea if it's gone through or not.
    (I've been bumped back down to a new member as I made most of my posts on the other site after this one was hijacked)
    From
    Ontario, Canada
    Jun 2, 2012, 9:06 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #7

Oh yeah, that's right. Raked right across the front of the bow. Forgot about that part lol

And yeah, got your reply. Sent one back to you
    From
    Memphis, TN
    Jun 2, 2012, 9:16 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #8

Definitely ballsy but cool at the same time I'm looking forward to this build. I remember this bit of voyager I loved the fact for once the had the battle damage staying along with her. Kind of got sick of watching that ship get into one fight after the other and always coming up clean and pretty despite no starbase in sight. Oh have you seen Steve Neill's model of this ship it looks sharp. Anyhow good luck and post up many pics.
    From
    Liverpool
    Jun 2, 2012, 11:20 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #9

A small update, I'm not sure whether or not to just coat all the interior bits flat black, then accent with greys, or to leave it as an uneaven wash like this, I personally think this looks a little more like fire damage, but then who knows. It still needs more debris and the deflector sorting out

Btw, does anyone know how I can drill out these windows properly? Their squareness is making it somewhat difficult
    From
    Ontario, Canada
    Jun 3, 2012, 12:10 AM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #10

Personally, I think what you've done there is good. I'd agree that the uneven wash gives it an appropriate fire damaged appearance.

Definitely add in some debris in the exposed sections. See if you can find some tiny railroad figures in the correct scale to throw in there, too. Not too many though, just a few.

Although not necessarily accurate, as any bodies stuck in those sections would've been sucked out when the hull breached, I think they'd add something to the overall look.

As for how to drill out the windows, I'd suggest using a Dremel tool with a small drill bit.

Drill out enough of the material without going outside the window frame, then use an X-acto knife to clear out the rest, and follow up with a small file of some sort to make sure the windows are square.

That's how I'd do it, anyway.
    From
    Melbourne, Australia
    Jun 3, 2012, 2:42 AM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #11

Book marking this thread to follow its progress. Can't wait to see how it comes out.
    From
    Liverpool
    Jun 3, 2012, 4:47 AM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #12

Should look nice with the flickering orange LEDS
    From
    Levittown, NY
    Jun 3, 2012, 7:47 AM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #13

Fantastic!
    From
    Highway To Hell!!!
    Jun 3, 2012, 7:47 AM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #14

I think you are doing a great job. Looks good to me!!

Kenny
    From
    Toronto, Canada
    Jun 3, 2012, 10:12 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #15

Fantastic job so far. Keep going on it!
  16. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Coastal bend of south Texas.
    Jun 4, 2012, 11:44 AM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #16

I hate to see such a nice model in such sad shape! Great job! Looks like "hell" is the right word!
  17. Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Jun 4, 2012, 2:28 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #17

From what I remember about that episode I'd say you have the look down pretty well. The candle flicker leds are a great idea
  18. The avalanche has started RPF Premium Member FuseNova's Avatar
    From
    Maryland
    Jun 4, 2012, 3:13 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #18

Really nice work! This is heavy weathering EXTREME
    From
    Liverpool
    Jun 4, 2012, 8:40 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #19

A little update, looking too smooth so I'll roughen up the edges. But I'm not sure what debris to put into the larger areas.
    From
    CT
    Jun 4, 2012, 9:09 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #20

DMC 12 said: View Post
    ...I'm not sure what debris to put into the larger areas.
    Hmm...*scratches head*...I'm just thinking that if I were building this model (which is really looking cool, by the way!), I'd search for damaged building pictures. Which I did try, and found some very insprational photos ('inspirational' doesn't seem like the right word, considering the tragic circumstances which befall people). Nevertheless, it'll give you some good ideas as to what kinds of things remain of a room after an unexpected impact.
    I tried fire damaged, too, but I was surprised how little use this reference was. I'm sure just a simple starting point or two will give you plenty to work with, though. So far you're doing great!
    Jun 5, 2012, 4:06 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #21

Here's some shell damage to the French battleship Jean Bart, at the hands of the American battleship Massachusetts. I think shell damage is probably the best reference to what you're after; concussive, heavy damage in indiscriminate locations.

From
    CT
    Jun 5, 2012, 4:20 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #22

Jm419 said: View Post
    Here's some shell damage to the French battleship Jean Bart, at the hands of the American battleship Massachusetts. I think shell damage is probably the best reference to what you're after; concussive, heavy damage in indiscriminate locations...
    Yeah, that's great. I'll have to see if I can locate my picture of my fathers' battle-damaged sub from WW2. Your pic reminded me of it, and it too will help out here!
    From
    Memphis, TN
    Jun 5, 2012, 5:18 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #23

You have probably already come up with a bunch of image captures of voyager in this stage but I felt the need for everyone hear to have a look at this baby when she was really ripped up also give's a good idea of where to put the flicker lights in the damaged sections.
    [IMG]htp://www.embracingthenerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/voy-hell.jpg[/IMG]
    From
    Liverpool
    Jun 5, 2012, 9:52 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #24

That picture is a big help, I've had it before but I wasn't able to find it this time around!

The main parts glued in now, this'll help me add more details connecting it to the hull itself, making it seem more seamless. I also plan to use filler at the edges, this way I can shape it into bulkheads and it'll seal it from unwanted views of the interior

I can't believe how much easier it is to make a battle damaged ship xD I've never managed to make up a kit that's nice and clean :P
  25. Member Since
    May 2011
    Jun 6, 2012, 4:17 PM - Re: Revell USS Voyager - Year Of Hell #25

Whoa!!!That is one rough looking Starship.Always liked this episode,I just couldn`t believe a ship so small could take all that damage and still fight on.Great job!!!