QMX New Serenity / Enterprise

waaay overpriced. The Serenity looks like they just took the previous flying model and added landing gear. I didnt see any lights on it. They had the abrams Enterprise as well. I would pay 1500 to 2000 for the enterprise, but not 5000.

This is sort of an off-topic question, but one that has been bothering me.

Why, on the QMx model, is the cargo section of Serenity "blue"?

In all the movie stills and in the series, the outer skin of the cargo section
of the hull always looks the same as the rest of the ship; i.e., a silvery
steel/metal/aluminum color.

So why did they choose to color it blue?

Last edited:
waaay overpriced. The Serenity looks like they just took the previous flying model and added landing gear.

Well...it IS the same ship, so that is pretty much how you would do it, right?

Take the flying model and add landing gear.

Yup.

That would do it.

Were you expecting a different ship? :lol

the look of the Serenity did change from episode to episode (especially the "bee hive" section.) there is plenty of support for the blue/brown cargo section. especially in the full sized set.

what bugs me more is that the "landed" position of the engines is not correct. they would be pointed to the front (as in flight mode) but pivotted down so that they'd be resting on the ground. this is more of a "getting ready to take off" pose

it is comforting to see that they used my templates to paint at least part of the refit. :)

Interesting. Looks like the same set with different lighting.
I seem to recall some of the cast talking about the colder lighting
and how it caused the warm tones the ship had during the TV series
to almost disappear when they did the filming for the movie.

My bad.

I also noticed, going through some of my old Firefly stuff, that the landing
gear was changed for the ship in the movie, too. Claw feet, square tubing
on the legs, no extra hydraulics and pipes for extending the legs, etc.

Last edited:

In the TV show the panels are blue and yellow stripes, in the movie they are all blue.

Still a sub-par paint job on the Serenity though. I wonder if they're dropping the electronics to have it at a lower price.

To be honest and realistic I've built the refit and it's not at all an easy build. It takes a few weeks. If you are lucky 4 weeks if you work straight through. The Aztecs alone will take a solid 5-7 days. I know because I build models for a living.

I think they did a fantastic job as these are the first pictures I've seen of it. It's very well made and painted not to mention the hanger deck with the tracers. And there's more I know.

I would be extremely hard pressed do build it for 5 grand. If it took you 5 weeks to build that's only a grand a week, after taxes 750, after materials and lighting even less.

Not unless you live in a trailer with your mother I'm not sure how anyone would make a living off it if it were any cheaper. As it is I couldn't pay my bills very well. It might be a fun job to build models for a living and it is. But it's still a job.

I think the price is a bargain!

Well done Qmx!

Steve Neill

All the colors on the Serenity replica were taken right off of the solid models used for the movie. There was only one actual model used in the movie, the crash scene ship.

The Serenity looks like they just took the previous flying model and added landing gear. I didnt see any lights on it.

I'm not sure the "Landed" version of Serenity is the same as the Big Damn Replica. I see some differences in these pictures and my BDR, especially in the amount of detail in the reactor section.

Landed Version
Landing1.jpg

Big Damn Replica
s6.jpg

Landed Version
Landing2.jpg

Big Damn Replica
BDRReactorShutter.jpg

Is is just me or does the paint job on Serenity look like a 5 year old did it? Especially for a model that is as pricey as this one? And the detail does not look crisp and there is just something about the silver paint that looks off. I would have expected much more from them at this level. I have seen much better work from some of the modelers here on the board.

Now the Enterprise looks much nicer. But I am thinking that 5K is just a bit much for a model ;)

JMHO

thomas;)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back