Q+A On Rotocasting

CustomCreations

Sr Member
Hey.

With my current plans I recon it would be a good move to make a rotocasting machine up.
I have seen a few threads on doing this, Ill do my best to enclose my own plans for everyone should I go ahead...
My thoughts are a machine large enough to handle nothing bigger than a helmet, although I can see it being put to use more with guns- I think approx a 2ft square area for the mold jacket should suffice.

Now, what I don't 'get' is really the use of the resins.
I am hoping people can share their experiences here....
If anyone here uses roto machines, do/ can you use basic 'fast cast' ?
How about softer resins/rubbers, will they still work with this process?
I am concerned over the resin falling away from the mold surface if the cure is too slow, for instance?
Is there a known relation between the speed of rotation and cure?

Any advice is appreciated ;-)

D

The resin that I typically use is Smoothcast ROTO, which, as the name implies, is designed for rotocasting.

For lack of a machine (yet!!) I slush cast. What I find is that you need to not put too much resin in, and need to keep it moving at a nice consistent pace. If you move too slow, the resin will start to drip down off the sides. If you keep it going at a good clip it will hold well.

The ROTO kicks slowly... it's not liquid->solid, its more like milk -> honey -> chilled honey -> cool caramel -> solid (and now I'm making myself hungry!)

As it thickens, it stays on the surfaces better.

I've recently been adding some of Smoothon's Urefill 3 filler to the ROTO. It thickens it up a bit right off the bat, which makes it build up thicker layers faster. Too much filler and you start losing surface detail / getting bubbles, but a little definitely helps.

I'm hoping to build a roto caster this summer, so I'll be following this tread closely.

The resin that I typically use is Smoothcast ROTO, which, as the name implies, is designed for rotocasting.

For lack of a machine (yet!!) I slush cast. What I find is that you need to not put too much resin in, and need to keep it moving at a nice consistent pace. If you move too slow, the resin will start to drip down off the sides. If you keep it going at a good clip it will hold well.

I second this. I've been using smoothcast roto for my slush castings, works great. It's pretty strong material and still has a little flex to it after it's cured.

Cheers!
Ill see what I can come up with re the machine.
Looks like the plans I have seen on the forum and online have used a microwave turntable motor, which seems cool but would it have the torque?

If you go to:
Home
You'll see a roto caster that allows for much more control over the process and at a greater price!

CRWilson

Hey.

With my current plans I recon it would be a good move to make a rotocasting machine up.
I have seen a few threads on doing this, Ill do my best to enclose my own plans for everyone should I go ahead...
My thoughts are a machine large enough to handle nothing bigger than a helmet, although I can see it being put to use more with guns- I think approx a 2ft square area for the mold jacket should suffice.

Now, what I don't 'get' is really the use of the resins.
I am hoping people can share their experiences here....
If anyone here uses roto machines, do/ can you use basic 'fast cast' ?
How about softer resins/rubbers, will they still work with this process?
I am concerned over the resin falling away from the mold surface if the cure is too slow, for instance?
Is there a known relation between the speed of rotation and cure?

Any advice is appreciated ;-)

D

I'm just about finished with my rotocast machine. 1/2 hp motor and all. I will be trying Smooth-on's roto products and I also want to try their Task plastic for rotocasting.

Tommy

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back