PL 350 Refit/A - Striving for Accuracy

Primary Hull = FINISHED!!

One thing that ticks me off is that the red in the decals is too light - the red around the registry should be thinner and deeper red. I tried darkening them with #2 pencil but it only helped a little. Humbug!

mnbmnmhhjhjhgg.jpg

mnmnmnjjjjj.jpg

More pix here:
1701-A 2013 Photos by ColHero | Photobucket

That is just an awesome build, ColHero! It makes me want to strip down and rebuild my 1/350 E!

Nice job; really class act here! :thumbup

Some work on the Nacelles:

I tested the DLM replacement part for the Flux Grilles:

2014-03-02_18-30-39_545.jpg

2014-03-02_18-31-08_243.jpg

And for the Flux Chillers I tested using a paper tube between the 2 LEDs - not bad! The white paper you see on the inside of the clear Chiller is actually light blue/purple on the outside.

2014-03-21_19-00-06_739.jpg

2014-03-21_18-49-26_466.jpg

Looking Great!! You've really done the ole' girl right with this build. I have a question though, I see you are using the DLM flux grille replacements, why didnt you use the Impulse engine? Did yours not come with it? I got the DLM kit for my Refit, and it came with a solid Shuttle bay door( that I didnt use) as well as a MUCH more accurate Impulse deck ad flux grille inserts. Not saying that yours doesnt look great, and I mean no criticism. just curious. Looking forward to seeing more, and man oh man, I LOVE your aztecing. The next one I do, I'm taking a page from your book in regards to that! I used decals from accreation. It looks ok, but I would rather a painted effect like what you did. Have a great rest of the week and weekend!

Michael

Looking Great!! You've really done the ole' girl right with this build. I have a question though, I see you are using the DLM flux grille replacements, why didnt you use the Impulse engine? Did yours not come with it? I got the DLM kit for my Refit, and it came with a solid Shuttle bay door( that I didnt use) as well as a MUCH more accurate Impulse deck ad flux grille inserts. Not saying that yours doesnt look great, and I mean no criticism. just curious. Looking forward to seeing more, and man oh man, I LOVE your aztecing. The next one I do, I'm taking a page from your book in regards to that! I used decals from accreation. It looks ok, but I would rather a painted effect like what you did. Have a great rest of the week and weekend!

Hey Michael, good question and thanks for the kind words. Actually I ordered the Flux Grilles alone. I had already modified the Shuttlebay door at that point. And I didnt want to have to cut the desk of the Saucer to implant the Impulse deck - part fear, part lazy on my part. I also figured i could get away with the mod that I did on the impulse engines which was to shave the upper edges thinner. Looks good but part of me still thinks I should have gone with the DLM Impulse just to get that more accurate thin look. Especially since I went through the trouble of modifying the "runners" on the sides of the Deflector housing in front of the clamps. And, I modified the Lower sensor array to the accurate shape. All that work to accurize and the Impulse deck is now somewhat of a sore thumb!

1701 021.jpgI can deffinitly understand that! but you dont really have to cut the saucer or the neck to install the DLM impulse. It comes basically as a solid piece of resin pre-shaped in the correct size and shape, and not quite clear, so great for diffusion. All you have to do is install into the upper saucer, after sanding down the top edges to match the rest of the Impulse deck. then get some small strips of sytrene and sand them into shape until they fit flush in the gaps between the deck and sides, and deck and dorsal neck created by the shorter impulse deck. Other than that, there really isnt any mods required on the saucer top, bottom, or sides. But I do like what you did with the stock deck, I think thats the best I've seen with the stock part used, no joke. If I can make a small confession, I felt that the flux grilles would be too ardous of a task and I honestly could not tell the difference between the DLM replacements and the molded ones in the nacelles... hahahahahaha *shrugs But I like how youre doing yours, and I stil have mne to use later on if, or actually when, I start another 1/350 project. :D the addiction is real... haha cheers!!

Michael

However Im probably not making that sore thumb any better haha!! Sorry. You asked me a few weeks ago if I had any galleries of my Refit up, well I finally got around to putting one up, if you want to go check it out. Mine is not NEARLY as detailed and acurate as yous, and I have a few flaws that by the time I noticed them, was too late to fix (note the light leak on under the windows on the left side of the impulse deck, and the gab under the torpedo deck just to name a few) and when my pics are blown up, I can really see that my next investment should be in a good digital camera! haha I-phone 5 just aint cuttin the mustard...

Also you mentioned runners in the delfector, Did you mean in the dish itself?? WOW and i'm glad you got the lower sensor dome fixed, I just didnt want to go that far with mine, since this was my first attempt to incorperate so many new , to me, electronics and special effects. but like I said... the next one, will be better!! haha

Michael

Last edited:
Did some testing on the Nacelle Flux Chiller color - another enigma - in many studio shots it looks black or dark blue, and then purple.

So what I did was paint a base of flt black, then a dark blue (slightly purple). THEN, I wiped-on some of the Iridescent Red that was used for the Aztecs. So the end result is at some angles it looks dark blue and at other angles it looks purplish.

2014-04-07_23-55-21_71.jpg

2014-04-07_23-55-06_523.jpg

Still working on the nacelles - finally finished the Flux Chillers - not completely happy with the results. Masking the inner grooves in order to paint the raised rows was a PITA - I used pin-stripe tape and getting them lined up perfectly straight took some work - then when I pulled them off the paint did not break cleanly at the tape lines so I had to do some manual touch ups. Then I wiped-on some iridescent red over the raised rows. So the chillers look deep blue/black from some angles and then look purple at others.

2014-04-23_20-40-03_27.jpg

2014-04-23_20-41-48_369.jpg

For lighting the Chillers I settled on using a colored paper tube between the 2 bulbs on each side. Simple and fairly effective:

2014-04-25_22-15-41_528.jpg

2014-04-25_22-39-20_618.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back