Paper TARDIS

JesperW

Hello there, the RPF -

Here's a little project, my first sort-of-actual movie model: The inimitable TARDIS.

Built as a gift box for my whovian daughter (takes after dad, I guess), it's roughly based off the Russell Davies prop, as seen here: http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/tardis-police-box.html
I modelled it in SketchUp, adding tabs and doing the odd bit of unfolding with the Flattery plugin, then printed out the parts on regular 180g printer paper - then it was all Xacto knife, glue and tweezers (some of those tabs were really, really tiny).
The panels are in three layers, giving the fillings/glass, the body of the door, and the door frame - I had to add some struts in a thicker cardboard on the inside because gluing these layers together made the finished panels warp, even though I pressed them, dried-leaf-style. Apologize for not having that many in-progress pics; I was kinda wingin' it, and so didn't actually know what I was doing until it was done.

The paint job is just cheap gouache paints - three shades of blue, some umber, ochre, bit of black and white, lot of daubing to the the splotchy, weathered look. I had to give them a clear spray lacquer top coat since, being cheap, the acrylic paint remained tacky no matter how long I let it try - I wanted the top to be removable as a lid so I didn't want it to adhere.

Oh, and the gift that went inside the gift box? Another TARDIS, of course - posted a bit about it here.

:)
Jesper W.

paper-tardis_01.jpgpaper-tardis_09.jpgpaper-tardis_08.jpgpaper-tardis_07.jpgpaper-tardis_06.jpgpaper-tardis_05.jpgpaper-tardis_04.jpgpaper-tardis_03.jpgpaper-tardis_02.jpgpaper-tardis_10.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back