The Official Star Trek Kitbash Kontest - Sponsored by the RPF and Jm419!

Ok... So now I've properly stalked the other competition threads and seen the standard of entries, I'm suddenly embarrassed by my model LOL When I submit my photos and get no votes, can I stay anonymous? :p

Just when I thought I was finished....

:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

I sprayed my starship a couple of days ago and today I noticed that the paint seemed a little tacky, so I poked it - destroying it - and then discovered that all the paint just washed off under the tap.

Now I have a :eek naked :eek starship which will need another paint job. I've done some Googling and discovered that Createx is evil and that I probably shouldn't attempt to paint with it again...

...so my question is...

What type of paint should I be using?

Just when I thought I was finished....

:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

I sprayed my starship a couple of days ago and today I noticed that the paint seemed a little tacky, so I poked it - destroying it - and then discovered that all the paint just washed off under the tap.

Now I have a :eek naked :eek starship which will need another paint job. I've done some Googling and discovered that Createx is evil and that I probably shouldn't attempt to paint with it again...

...so my question is...

What type of paint should I be using?

I get good results from Tamiya. Also, are you using primer? Nothing adheres very well to bare plastic.

Hmm, with the clock ticking down, just another eleven days left. Sigh. I'm really looking forward to seeing all the entries. Heck, I'm a starship junkie anyway, and it's gonna be a hoot to see what people came up with. Submitted my entry today. I'm gonna take a break for a day or three, then get back to my main kitbash [blatant plug]!!

You can go with the standard brush on stuff. Testors enamel is available at any hobby store. I myself dont like enamel, too messy and hard to clean up, so I went with acrylic paint, again available at most hobby stores including metallic colors, and though it takes 2-3 coats on the un-prepared plastic I like the results. It does scratch off easy so after the contest I will be clear coating my ships but because it scratches of easy I have been able to easily fix any mistakes. If you are intent on spraying, I assume you are using an airbrush, I got no clue as all I use in my airbrush is the Createx which really does need a primer coat to stick and dry proper. I guess that is why I dont spray much. But with the rules of this contest using primer is very tricky as none of it can show.

Now I just had a thought I have never tried acrylic thinned down in a spray. Of course like I said I dont spray much. If your not afraid you might give that a shot. If for some reason you are using spray cans then I might try finding the colors you need in Krylons for Plastic series. Ideally it should work on the "Plastic" model. Masking would be a B!+ch but their it is.

Well I hope this helps. Happy Painting!

I've got fat and clumsy hands so I'm not really a fan of painting with a brush. I'm hoping the airbrush will do all the work for me :ninja I think we should nominate daltman1967 to test the thinned down acrylic so we can all to see the results.. Do it! Do it! :thumbsup

Lady luck is with me though! After seeing this thread, I went straight to eBay and just minutes ago I managed to win an auction where someone was selling a job lot of Tamiya paints and tools (with the tweezers I need for my NASA vehicle <- better plug!!:D) It should have me sorted enough to win this contest!! Boo-yah! :p

Durrett, I didn't use a primer in my first attempt, but now I'm too scared not to. A primer is included in the listing I just purchased and I believe it's called 'grey primer micro filler'. Do you think it'll be okay?

Durrett, I didn't use a primer in my first attempt, but now I'm too scared not to. A primer is included in the listing I just purchased and I believe it's called 'grey primer micro filler'. Do you think it'll be okay?

It's a thicker building primer I believe, I don't use it. If your surface has any imperfections it will flatten them out, but it could hide fine details.

We've gotten a few entries, and that's brought up something I didn't think of, so I'll ask what people think.

Should we allow brief (no more than 100 words) descriptions of the starship - what her role is, name, maybe a brief history of the vessel? Almost every entry I've gotten has a description, though some of you might have to shorten up your descriptions, so I figured I'd ask what you had to say.

The way I look at it with the Acrylic is the first layer I put down is a colored Primer. Then the next layer is a rough coat and then I do the final smooth coat so no real loss of time just use of different materials for different steps.

"you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

odd quote for a Star Trek Thread but one of my favorites.

We've gotten a few entries, and that's brought up something I didn't think of, so I'll ask what people think.

Should we allow brief (no more than 100 words) descriptions of the starship - what her role is, name, maybe a brief history of the vessel? Almost every entry I've gotten has a description, though some of you might have to shorten up your descriptions, so I figured I'd ask what you had to say.

I for one think a little context can help define a product. For example you go to an art gallery and see a blank canvas and think well someone screwed up and left this out. Till you read the plaque that says "Before Conception". Now it makes sense. Doesnt really make it any better but it is no longer strangely out of place. My only question is for those of us doing a fleet can we get a bonus of say 25 words per ship beyond the first. You know to really confuse things... :wacko

I for one think a little context can help define a product. For example you go to an art gallery and see a blank canvas and think well someone screwed up and left this out. Till you read the plaque that says "Before Conception". Now it makes sense. Doesnt really make it any better but it is no longer strangely out of place. My only question is for those of us doing a fleet can we get a bonus of say 25 words per ship beyond the first. You know to really confuse things... :wacko

Now, that benefits people who did two ships. We can't really do that - but we could choose to increase word count. The number I threw up was arbitrary - we could easily make it 250.

Of course, you could say that you did the same thing with your kits. If you built two ships, you split your parts into two groups, right? Why not do the same with your description?

By the way, I'm heavily in favor of a description, so if you have an objection, speak up. I'll consider everything anyone posts.

Well that all depends really... Are we only allowed to use the words that are on the box? :lol

PS. How does one remove cat hair from paint? :ninja

Levi has a warped sense of humor if he wants to nominate ME as a paint tester. Anyone who's read my blog knows I've been fighting tooth & nail to make my airbrush work. This model was no exception.

As far as the description, I almost feel it's necessary; brief history, function of the ship, etc., to give background. 250 words is plenty.

Where might one find your blog? If someone is having problems with a build, I want to know!!...it will make me feel less terrible about mine :lol

I'm a little bit concerned about this writing business. If anyone were to read my accompanying text, they'd discover how ignorant I am and the votes would reflect it :unsure I can't support an idea which would disadvantage me :ninja I don't suppose we can name our ships after ourselves? :angel

It'd turn into a popularity contest, I'm afraid. So, nix on the U.S.S. Levi.

And, you don't have to turn in a description, but I think it would add to the contest. However, if it's getting out of hand, and you really feel that strongly, I could always set up a template.

Registry:
Name:
Vessel-Type:
Mission:
Brief Backstory: (say 50 words).

Is that better?

There are vessel types?? :eek

I'm just joking :p

I was thinking of putting someone else's name on my ship to help my starship along a bit haha maybe the U.S.S. Art Andrews ;)

It'd turn into a popularity contest, I'm afraid. So, nix on the U.S.S. Levi.

And, you don't have to turn in a description, but I think it would add to the contest. However, if it's getting out of hand, and you really feel that strongly, I could always set up a template.

Registry:
Name:
Vessel-Type:
Mission:
Brief Backstory: (say 50 words).

Is that better?

That actually sounds ok to me. The only thing I would add is a per ship clause. If you have made more than one ship you would have to have the ability to use the template and give a 50 word description on each ship. My reasoning for this is why should those of us who made more than one ship be penalized for doing more work than another who had the same opportunity to do as much as we did yet chose not to. But that is just my 2 cents. In the end I will be happy with whatever decision is made because I am just loving this Kontest. :):):)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back