My take on the NX refit (WIP)

I managed to skin the hull with some .025 styrene. I softened the curved portions with a heat gun then very carefully bent into shape and glued into place with gorilla glue. everything is going to be getting a perpendicular layer of thinner styrene to hold it together.

I also tacked on the deflector for sheets and giggles.

and just for fun to see what it will look like...

Last edited:
That's really cool. :) I love the concept of the in-between variations. Reality dictates that the engineers didn't just wake up one day and draw these ships as we see them on TV, but designed one, then another... improving on each design. And you are doing such a wonderful job. :D

That's really cool. :) I love the concept of the in-between variations. Reality dictates that the engineers didn't just wake up one day and draw these ships as we see them on TV, but designed one, then another... improving on each design. And you are doing such a wonderful job. :D

Thank you very much Cadeus :)

This design almost makes me like the NX as a ship; the technological progression just never looked right to me, though in retrospect the NX does look halfway between the Phoenix and the Constitution. The build is awesome, naturally.

Technique question: when you construct a model's hull with the rib-and-skin technique, do you plane the shape of the ribs when assembled with a long sanding block, or do you rely on exact measurement? If you are trying to replicate an exact shape, would the thinnest ribs possible be desirable?

This design almost makes me like the NX as a ship; the technological progression just never looked right to me, though in retrospect the NX does look halfway between the Phoenix and the Constitution. The build is awesome, naturally.

Technique question: when you construct a model's hull with the rib-and-skin technique, do you plane the shape of the ribs when assembled with a long sanding block, or do you rely on exact measurement? If you are trying to replicate an exact shape, would the thinnest ribs possible be desirable?

Its halfway between exact and a very sharp exacto. I like to use 1/8" balsa stock mounted onto an 1/8" plywood keel. You still have to delicate until its skinned. another way to do the skin is thin balsa sprayed with ammonia water, the ammonia weakens the grains and allows it to be bent. then you tape or elastic band it in place until the skin dries. then cut and glue, fibreglass with a very lightweight cloth and its strong.

Nice, that EL wire should work well. The chasing effect sounds really cool.

Such a great looking ship. I just went back and looked at the first post, comparing the designs. While I like Doug Drexler's design a lot, it's excellent, (I will happily get one of the Polar Light's kits eventually) I find your changes near perfect. Gets the feeling of the ship just right. Tip o' the hat to you, sir.

Nice, that EL wire should work well. The chasing effect sounds really cool.

Such a great looking ship. I just went back and looked at the first post, comparing the designs. While I like Doug Drexler's design a lot, it's excellent, (I will happily get one of the Polar Light's kits eventually) I find your changes near perfect. Gets the feeling of the ship just right. Tip o' the hat to you, sir.

Thanks man :)

I'm going to try and do some more work on it this week.

Well, I've got a week off. So I'm going to try and get a good portion of the wiring complete.

I just ordered a few things from Federation Models

I picked up a shuttle-pod, an NX-02 deflector, and red bussard domes.

I also picked up some evergreen stock that I will use for the cargo bay and shuttle bay doors. pics after dinner :)

I spent the evening sorting out the wiring for the saucer, it will eventually be wall powered, but for now I'm running everything off of a battery pack to make sure the circuit works.

NXDeflectorwiring_zps62121b85.png

NXDeflectorwiringcloseup_zps589b8266.png

NXDeflector_zpse76dda0c.png

I also worked on Cargo Bay 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks fantastic! Thanks for the update! Loving the wiring preview and the cargo bay detail. Can you flip your phone sideways so we can enjoy the details of your videos in full letterbox style goodness? :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back