My Shuttlecraft Galileo 20" Scratch-build and display

Jsimon999

Hi everyone. For your viewing enjoyment I present my recently completed STAR TREK SHUTTLECRAFT GALILEO scratch-built model and display case.

The ship is about 20" long and features lighted nacelles with working motors and a tricked-out back maintenance hatch for Scotty to work in (picture soon). I took a couple liberties and dimly lit the nacelle globes at the ends and also added some blinking running lights. I felt they would have put them there on the show if they had more time and money. The back end is just too static without them.

The display case I also custom-built with a backlit space scene translight and planet surface I made. Special thanks to Brian here (KNIGHTDRIVER) for his help with the case. Also need to add thanks to Will (TOSGRAPHICS) here for the inspiration.

Enjoy!

Jon

DSCF1390.jpgDSCF1397.jpgDSCF1401.jpg
DSCF1452.jpgDSCF1473.jpgDSCF1479.jpg
DSCF1483a.jpgDSCF1485.jpgDSCF1489.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, wow! That looks awesome, Jon! Did you make the decals yourself? Also, did you make the rear landing gear by hand? If so, you did one helluva job on it; looks professionally made.

Seeing such craftsmanship reminds me I should get off my lazy butt and finish up my own studio-scale shuttlecraft Galileo. Always so many projects on the go, it's hard to go back :p lol

Oh, wow! That looks awesome, Jon! Did you make the decals yourself? Also, did you make the rear landing gear by hand? If so, you did one helluva job on it; looks professionally made.

Seeing such craftsmanship reminds me I should get off my lazy butt and finish up my own studio-scale shuttlecraft Galileo. Always so many projects on the go, it's hard to go back :p lol

Thank you, everyone! Will post some more pics soon.

Yes, Eric...I made the decals and the rear landing gear thing-a-ma-jiggy. It's simply some styrene and aluminum tubing with some parts from my small parts junk drawer. I wish it was more shiny but no matter what you do, you'll never get a mirror-finish out of a spray paint can...despite what the cap tells you.

These things are things you can't stop once you start I found. It seems like you could just pick up at anytime and continue (and maybe a few can) but there is an attention level and momentum you gather that's hard to recover if you let it go for a period of time.

Jon

Looks pretty shippy to me.

LOL

As always nice job Jim. Bob. Joe. Whatever your name is.

I may be interested after seeing it.

Cary

We should start a studio-scale Galileo club!! lol

That would be a very select few I think, lol, but that would be kewl :D

Thank you, everyone! Will post some more pics soon.

Yes, Eric...I made the decals and the rear landing gear thing-a-ma-jiggy. It's simply some styrene and aluminum tubing with some parts from my small parts junk drawer. I wish it was more shiny but no matter what you do, you'll never get a mirror-finish out of a spray paint can...despite what the cap tells you.

These things are things you can't stop once you start I found. It seems like you could just pick up at anytime and continue (and maybe a few can) but there is an attention level and momentum you gather that's hard to recover if you let it go for a period of time.

Jon

BOLD # 1: Nice! Well done, sir! I made mine out of nothing but styrene, and although I thought it looked good, it's nothing compared to yours. Your rear landing gear looks much better detailed in its proper scale. I think I see a rebuild of that part in my future, lol.

BOLD # 2: I totally agree, Jon. Loathe as I am to admit it, it's been at least a couple years since I've gone back to it (originally started the project back in 2010 IIRC).

Had a rather unexpected accident wherein some of the parts I made got crushed, which prompted me to take a break. I posted a WiP thread here, but I haven't really checked it out since then.

It's sitting on the far corner of my workbench gathering dust, with my current projects all around it. Like I said before, I keep wanting to go back to it, but with the other projects I'm working on it's kind of hard to.

And well, truth be told, I'm a little intimidated by some of what I've been trying to do (ie. the curved top edges of the hull are proving difficult for me to to do).

EDIT: Here's my thread --> http://www.therpf.com/f10/studio-scale-tos-shuttlecraft-89967/

Last edited:
Re: My Shuttlecraft Galileo 20" Scratch-build and display

What problems are you having with the curved top hull edges, Eric?

Jon

- - - Updated - - -

Looks pretty shippy to me. LOL

As always nice job Jim. Bob. Joe. Whatever your name is. I may be interested after seeing it.

Cary

That's MR. Jim Bob Joe to you, Cary.

:D
Jon

Well see, since my entire Galileo build is comprised of styrene, I opted to continue using that medium (plastic) for the curved top hull edges and bought some clear acrylic tube of the same thickness as the sheet styrene I used to fabricate the main hull.

Only problem with that was, when I sliced the acrylic tubing length-wise, the strips I'd cut to use for the curved edges ended up curving in on themselves. As such, I found it rather difficult to glue them in place without them coming undone and curving in on themselves again.

I could probably use thicker acrylic tubing to solve that issue, but then I would likely have to redo the entire hull as the thickness of the curved edges and the sides of the hull wouldn't match up. So, essentially I would have to start from scratch all over again.

Given all the time and effort I'd put into the current build, the prospect of starting all over was kind of discouraging :( And frankly, I just don't have the time to do that right now.

EDIT: In retrospect, looking back at my build, I realize the styrene I used is too thin for this particular application. A slightly thicker styrene would be better both for the stability of the hull and the acrylic tubing used for the curved edges.

Yes, I saw the link to your build and thought the same, Eric: you likely need to start over...at least on the upper body section. It wouldn't be THAT much work. But it would be recommended to go with 3/16" MDF or project board of some kind. That would add strength and allow you to use cut PVC pipe strips like Will and I did on ours. I simply epoxied them to the MDF and then poured resin on the seams/gaps...then sanded them as needed.

Strength is essential on something like this. I had to reinforce my hull walls a few times inside before I finally was able to handle the thing without worry.

Live and learn.

Live and learn is right. Eric, I took several years on mine so don't give up. I really want to do another one with the correct internal structure that matches the frame on the full scale version. Jim, Glad the PVC idea worked for you too. I was winging it when I did mine but it worked out quite well. Your build looks great!

Live and learn is right. Eric, I took several years on mine so don't give up. I really want to do another one with the correct internal structure that matches the frame on the full scale version. Jim, Glad the PVC idea worked for you too. I was winging it when I did mine but it worked out quite well. Your build looks great!

You had it right before, Will...it's Jon not Jim. That's just a running joke that Cary (CYBERPRED) and I have. He always forgets my name when thanking me in his LOST IN SPACE home theater build videos. That's ok. The last of the (3) B-205s I'm making him will spell out my name on the blinking front panel to help remind him.

The PVC strip idea you had for the hull tops was a stroke of genius and is the tried and true way to go.

;)
Jon

Yes, I saw the link to your build and thought the same, Eric: you likely need to start over...at least on the upper body section. It wouldn't be THAT much work. But it would be recommended to go with 3/16" MDF or project board of some kind. That would add strength and allow you to use cut PVC pipe strips like Will and I did on ours. I simply epoxied them to the MDF and then poured resin on the seams/gaps...then sanded them as needed.

Strength is essential on something like this. I had to reinforce my hull walls a few times inside before I finally was able to handle the thing without worry.

Live and learn.

BOLD # 1: Actually, I would need to start over on both the top and bottom halves of the main hull. Reason being, there are also curved edges on the rear half of the underside of the shuttlecraft. That also didn't work for me on the bottom half for the same reason as the top half. So, I would need to thicken the walls on the bottom half too, in order to be able to use the cut PVC strips like both of you did.

I wouldn't need to worry about redoing the "wings" on the side or the nacelles as they're good to use as-is, so that would definitely save me some time in what would essentially be a rebuild. I would need to redo both parts of the main hull, though.

BOLD # 2: 3/16" thickness, huh? I was thinking of going with 1/8", lol. I've tried working with MDF board on one or two projects in the past, and found it was a more difficult material to cut through. As I don't have a workshop full of tabletop power tools (would be awesome if I did), only a hald-held Dremel tool, I don't know if I'd have the ability to make the necessary cuts to the material.

Going along a similar train of thought, would the tools I have on hand be sufficient for cutting through 3/16" thick PVC tubing? How did both of you cut the strips you needed to create the curved edges on your builds? Clearly the acrylic tubing's not rigid enough to hold its shape once cut up, so using that approach wouldn't be practical or productive.

Thanks, Will. I appreciate the vote of confidence :) I don't recall your build taking that long; all I remember is how awesome it looked when done, lol. I gotta say, I'm impressed with how both of you fabricated the rear landing gear on each of your builds. Given I have no metal-working tools in my workshop, I think I'll have to stick to styrene :p

I originally had plans to do up a full interior to match the full-scale version, but the parts I'd begun to make for detailing the interior are what ended up getting crushed in that accident I mentioned. I still plan on kitting mine out, with the option of a full interior. For my first build though, I think I'll stick with what's accurate and simply do the filming miniature as it was made for the show, minus interior.

You had it right before, Will...it's Jon not Jim. That's just a running joke that Cary (CYBERPRED) and I have. He always forgets my name when thanking me in his LOST IN SPACE home theater build videos. That's ok. The last of the (3) B-205s I'm making him will spell out my name on the blinking front panel to help remind him.

The PVC strip idea you had for the hull tops was a stroke of genius and is the tried and true way to go.

;)
Jon

So then, using PVC tube strips is really the only way to go for that detail, correct? Where would find some of that? I've got a plastics shop just down the road from where I live, would they be a likely place to get some? I know they carry acrylic tubing, never seen any PVC though.

EDIT: Thanks for the responses so far, guys. I really appreciate your feedback in helping me figure out to actually get my own build done.

Last edited:
To cut the MDF you really do need a table-saw. Even a small portable one would work. You can get them for less than $200 at Home Depot or Lowe's. You'll have a hard time getting straight cuts without one.

You could go with 1/8" MDF although I think the PVC is closer to 3/16".

You can also get the PVC at HDepot or Lowe's. It really is the best stuff to use. I also cut that on the table-saw. (Hot glue it to a board and then run it through in the center. Once it's in 2 pieces, it's easy to cut those in half.) PVC cuts nice with a sharp new blade and it's also sand-able believe it or not.

My landing gear is "ok". It's not as metal-ly as I would like it to look. I may re-do it at some point. Again, it's just styrene tube with an aluminum tube in it.

;)
Jon

Last edited:
To cut the MDF you really do need a table-saw. Even a small portable one would work. You can get them for less than $200 at Home Depot or Lowe's. You'll have a hard time getting straight cuts without one.

You could go with 1/8" MDF although I think the PVC is closer to 3/16".

You can also get the PVC at HDepot or Lowe's. It really is the best stuff to use. I also cut that on the table-saw. (Hot glue it to a board and then run it through in the center. Once it's in 2 pieces, it's easy to cut those in half.) PVC cuts nice with a sharp new blade and it's also sand-able believe it or not.

My landing gear is "ok". It's not as metal-ly as I would like it to look. I may re-do it at some point. Again, it's just styrene tube with an aluminum tube in it.

;)
Jon

Hmm. I thought that might be the case. Bugger :( Things are pretty tight money-wise at the moment, so as affordable as a small portable table saw would be I can't swing the cost of one right now. So, even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to get back to the shuttlecraft build anytime soon.

If the PVC tubing is 3/16", then I'd go with 3/16" MDF board, or maybe sheet styrene as it might be cheaper and I know I have the tools to work with that. I'd want the thickness of both to be consistent so as not to look wierd once the thing's been all assembled.

I do have some varying thicknesses of small brass tubing lying around, so maybe I could use some of that to make my rear landing gear look more proper. Used it for the Hallmark Shuttlecraft Galileo rebuild I'm working on and it looks good at that scale, so the same would likely be the case here.

I'm sorry...I actually went with 1/8" MDF and when I resin-ed the seams it made up the difference of the almost 3/16" PVC. I made the outside seam flush and resin-ed the inside. When it was done it was not noticeable at all.

You're best bet is 1/8" hull walls because that will also keep your front edges thin as well as making it easier to cut out the door windows. You'll need to really reinforce the inner structure though to keep everything rigid.

Perhaps a friend or someone in your neighborhood has a table-saw or workshop who can cut the pieces for you to your specs?

Jon

Last edited:
Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying, Jon! Where does one typically buy MDF board, though? Home Depot or Lowe's, like with the PVC tubing?

When cutting out the new parts for the hull, I plan on using the existing styrene entry hatch I've made, so it'll be a simple matter of cutting out the doorway to fit. I figure I might as well make use of as much of the current build as possible to save myself some time and effort.

Essentially, all the smaller parts (nacelle wings, nacelle pylons, nacelles, front/rear landing gear, entry hatch) will be salvaged so all I need to focus on building are the top and bottom halves of the main hull.

Don't really know anyone in our neighbourhood, but I do know of one or two friends in town with table saws I could go to in order to get the MDF cut to my specifications, though.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back